Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How Much Consideration Goes Into Your Choice of PADI/NAUI/SSI etc. for New Divers?

perpetual scuba student

former instructor

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Blog Entries
    Based on observations while hanging out in various dive shops and phone answering in one of them, most people look for cost and convenience. And maybe a vibe from the salesperson. The agency seems well down on the list, if it makes the list at all.
    What's that scuba acronym?
    List of scuba agencies.

To err is inevitable.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.” ― Dale Carnegie

Mental toss flycoon
    Go Red - Support SB!

still looking for a clue

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    When I got certified I wasn't even aware that there were agencies. My OW certification was through the YMCA. When I told someone at work I was taking scuba lessons he asked me if I was being certified by PADI. I replied "No ... I'm being certified by Loren" (my instructor's name).

Thinking back on it, that was probably the best answer ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
    It was just below freezing and snow was falling steadily. As we stepped toward that portal separating a cold and dreary world from the tranquility and wonder of another dimension teeming with life and color a passer-by shook his head and muttered "crazy". Poor fool. If he only knew. (Airsix)

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Quote Originally Posted by NWGratefulDiver View Post
    When I got certified I wasn't even aware that there were agencies. My OW certification was through the YMCA. When I told someone at work I was taking scuba lessons he asked me if I was being certified by PADI. I replied "No ... I'm being certified by Loren" (my instructor's name).

Thinking back on it, that was probably the best answer ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
    I would have loved to have seen the look on his face
    "Even though I know the inevitability of my faith, I'm in no hurry to embrace it"

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    I didn't choose an agency...
    I went through the dive shop where I got the best "vibe", even though the other dive shop is closer to where I live.

Registered

Mounts it side-like

Dives
    200 - 499
    Im gonna echo the vibe comments......when I first started diving i had no idea what the difference in agencies were. What I went with was the person I talked to, I called around to a few shops and didn't get much more besides trying to sell me a course....except for one place....they told about the course, what I would be doing, how things worked.....didn't even mention price until I asked, he then gave me a no bull**** rundown of all the costs associated. Because of this I got certified by that shop....the shop owner even ended up being my instructor on that course, he is also an instructor for 2 different agencies which I didnt know at the time.

That being said, you are at a resort location, the biggest thing I'd like from there is communication.....in trying to plan dive trips I like to chat with the shop I dive with beforehand.....if you have good communication, quick to reply to customers....especially by email these days, you will generate a lot of business even with people wanting to do the courses down south. This generates the best vibes and that's what people I dive with, and those who want to learn will go with, because unless they do a ton of research beforehand....agency doesn't matter.

Registered

Sadly addicted to diving.

Dives
    25 - 49
    Like a lot of people here, I went to the dive shop that offered the best/cheapest/easiest deal for Discover Scuba first. After meeting a couple of people who worked there, we decided we liked them, and we signed up for OW. They're a PADI shop. We also like the local SSI shop, and probably would have been happy with them too, if we had started there.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    That being said, you are at a resort location, the biggest thing I'd like from there is communication.....in trying to plan dive trips I like to chat with the shop I dive with beforehand.....if you have good communication, quick to reply to customers....especially by email these days, you will generate a lot of business even with people wanting to do the courses down south. This generates the best vibes and that's what people I dive with, and those who want to learn will go with, because unless they do a ton of research beforehand....agency doesn't matter.
    I agree, for resort visits, I put a lot of premium in how prompt and friendly the communications are. Straightforward and competitive pricing is good too. And online recommendations, for example, through TripAdvisor or Scubaboard, are very important.

For training, I'd stick with my first agency (PADI) where I have a choice between basically the same class through two or more agencies. But I'd take a class with another agency if I liked the topic or if it was convenient.

Registered

Feeling like a fish out of
    water!

Dives
    0 - 24
    Went to dive shop to by snorkel gear, asked questions about dive training, enjoyed snorkeling so much began investigating dive trng and went to same shop, they are PADI, so did e-learning due to distance from shop then scheduled pool trng and immediately went to springs in Florida for OW cert dives.

Never previously heard of PADI or NAUI

Mike

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI Instructor

Dives
    500 - 999
    Blog Entries
    The first place I went to felt the best. Came back from vacation and it was gone. The owner of the building died and his kids sold the land that the shop sat on. Three days after the sale some two bit lawyer came in and told them they had 2 weeks to vacate the premises. Three weeks later the bulldozer knocked it down. The owners went to Florida for six months and I had to go for my second choice. Good instructor but as others have said I didn't know there was anything but PADI and my instructor made damn sure I didn't find out otherwise from him. Then I was told about Scubaboard and things changed rapidly. Went to NAUI for tech training. Instructor was also a YMCA Instructor Trainer. Didn't take long for me to see stark differences. Crossed over to the Y, then SEI. Then got SDI solo cert and crossed over to SDI/TDI instructor. Why? Because each offered things I wanted in ways the others did not and because of the people involved. SEI is smaller and I have real voice in things. I've written courses, been asked to collaborate on others and help shape policy. SDI/TDI has been so easy to work with and has some really great people in high places that don't act like they are. They listen and respond to instructors. And their ethics and morals, like SEI's, are a match for mine. Some things I don't necessarily agree with but that's why on those items I cert through SEI or CMAS. And the expense for the crossover was very reasonable and the process was quick and easy.
    Quality SKILLS AND EDUCATION BASED Training via SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI -UDM AQUATIC SERVICES.

AUTHOR : SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver 2nd Edition Print here!
    Kindle here

UDM Aquatics Blog

Offering HOG/EDGE Gear, Manta Industries/Highseas Millworks, and Apollo Sports Products

jimlap212@comcast.net for info and orders or call 724-255-3765

There are SCUBA Divers who are safe, skilled, and independent explorers with a sense of adventure. Then there are Underwater Tourists who need constant supervision. UDM Aquatics trains SCUBA Divers. To see how and why we do that click here

Will be missed

It's pronounced CARE-oh, and
    it means "Of course I
    want to!"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    I got certified on a whim, and the instructor present and able to do the cert was PADI. Therefore, I put 0% consideration on agency and 100% on convenience.

These days I do a lot of booking of courses and dive trips. Obviously, if a diver chooses to train with me specifically (and this does happen in the case of most of my students), they will be PADI divers. But sometimes I can't teach prospective students for whatever reason, and when I give them a choice of agency so that I can "farm out" the teaching duties, the overwhelming choice is PADI. I think, but can't be certain, that the reason for this is brand recognition.

Registered

sampling good bourbons while
    waiting for the ice to melt...

Dives
    100 - 199
    I was fortunate to get OW certified through a PE class that was through the YMCA (which was fantastic!). Since then, I recruited my AOW instructor (1 on 1), chose a shop by their approach to instruction for Nitrox (NAUI), and used the same instructor to complete Rescue Diver (NAUI). There are other shops and other certifying agencies available, but i chose them due to their approach in training. They too will likely be the ones to train my daughter.

Its the personnel and philosophy, not the agency.....
    Bob

getting a Kraken!!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast