How do you keep your console/spg accessible and out of the way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

How do you keep your console/spg in a place where you can get to it easily, but it's still not dangling?

I hate clipping it to the BC with a plastic clip on the SPG's hose, because the clip either falls off, or it's too hard to clip/unclip.

I tried a yo-yo clip where it remains attached at my (left) hip, and I can pull it up to check it, and it retracts itself. This is easy and convenient, but it hangs down a few inches.

Are there better ideas?

I follow the Hogarthian approach of clipping my SPG off at my left dring using a boltsnap. It was a little akward at first but now I have no problem clipping and unclipping. My depth gauge is my computer and I wear it on my wrist.

I also don't look at my SPG every 30 seconds. I look at it only every so often based on depth and dive time as reported by my computer. I look at it to validate that I have the gas that I expect to have at that point.

All of those do-dads and retractors, and quick clips etc are junk IMO. They allow the console to hang low.

Personally, I say ditch the console and wrist mount the compass and computer. Then use just the SPG on a short hose, around 24", and clip it with a bolt snap to a waist dring. If you are set on a console, try routing it under your arm and using a simple bolt snap attached towards the top of the console clip it to a chest dring. Use a short hose here as well. However, this is also where I am against a console. Without having a big bowed out long hose on it, it can be difficult to hold in front of you during navigation or when watching your depth during deco/safety stops. With wrist mount you simply hold your hands together out in front of you and you can monitor direction and depth easily without excess movements. This also allows your SPG to remain tucked and clipped at your waist neatly.

+1 use a boltsnap to attach my spg to the BCD

My SPG is clipped close to the lower left D-ring on my harness, but with a looped line and a quick-release clip. I've found retractors break and standard hose clips usually allow the hose to migrate through it, thus causing the SPG to dangle. One way to solve that problem is to attach a zip tie below the gauge so it catches on the clip.

The clip and unclip plastic "thingie", is poor at best. They always seem to come loose and are a PItA even though many BCDs come with this attached.

The metal clip and ring is also an option but again unclipping and re-clipping, is a hassle also, but it does stay in place on the D-ring.

The yo-yo or "Retractor" you speck of, is the best option and they come in various strengths according to the application. Remember some SPGs / Consoles are bigger or heavier, so get the bigger/heavier yo-yo...

If your current retractor hangs down slightly, just go to the stronger retractor and that should fix your problem.

I use and have used these over many years and have never had one break, wear-out Yes, break No...

I'm sure someone will pop in here and say, go to the "Hoseless Air Intergrated Computer" to get rid of the hose altogether.

It's a $500+ solution to a $25 problem.

SPG Bolt-snapped to d-ring on left hip. Only takes a few seconds to unsnap it, check pressure, re-attach it.

I use a good quality, high strength retractor clipped across my chest. It hangs about 2 inches down from my body, at most. Is readily accessible and it has worked fine for me for years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom