New to Diving ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jakeypoo

Registered
Reaction score
So i JUST joined this site a few minutes ago, and can already tell this is where i need to start. Ive been deeply interested in diving recently, but have no experience. I have NO equipment, and the only thing ive EVER done that even closely resembles diving, is putting on a pait of goggles and freediving in the local lake nearby in shallow waters. What i would like to do is start off diving in the lake to get some experience, have some fun, then a few years from now i want to move to florida to get certified.
For freshwater diving: Depths no deeper than 30-50feet.

What sort of equipment would i need?
What do I need to know before i start?
Any tips?
ANYTHING else i should know?

You first need to get a certification from one of the dive training agencies. PADI, NAUI, SSI probably have dive shops in your area and can teach you the course. It's best you learn the right way before you kill yourself.
No rocket science involved, Just a few gas laws that can do you serious harm if you don't understand them. Like driving a car....you have to learn what the brake and gas pedals do. Know what I mean?

And dude..."Jakeypoo"? ....seriously?

Oh, welcome to the forum. :D

Wazee Sports Center is a great place to learn how to dive. Although, it is in Black River Falls, about an hour away from Bloomer.

I doubt you will find anyone on this forum that will think it is a good idea to go diving to get some experience before getting certified.

I think it is terrible idea.

Welcome to the site and I agree with nimoh, Diving prior to certification is not the brightest idea and its rather stupid. Do some research in your area on different shops and the certifications they offer. Talk to the members on the forums and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Chase

Chase

If you can swim, learn to snorkel and use fins.
Two main rules in diving....just in case you do something stupid :D like getting a tank and trying it.....never hold your breath and go up slowly. The dive course teaches you why that's so important.

And if someone called me Hankypoo, I'd make a serious attempt at beating his ass. :cool2:

Afew things you can do before you take classes is to make sure your swimming skills are up to par. Another thing woulld be to get yourself a good mask, snorkle and fins from a dive shop. You will need these anyway. Practice with those and get comfortable with having you face in the water. One of the skills is to be able to remove and replace your mask underwater and clear your mask. You would not believe how many students have a problem with having their face in the water. Other than that, wait until you can afford the classes. Talk to the local dive shop. Sometimes they will run specials. Welcome to the board and at least your name is not "Sue" LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom