Fin Technique/Fit and Computers - Am I overthinking this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hertrich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Folks,

I'm a newcomer to scuba and to ScubaBoard, and am looking forward to learning and diving more. Just finished up the confined water part of my OW training, will be finishing up the OW training in September.

I have general questions on 2 areas for the SB knowledge base that I've not been quite able to figure out through searching other threads. Any and all input on these points would be great, and let me know if I'm over thinking anything.

1 - Fins -
  • I am using Seawing Nova fins. When I do a flutter kick I find the fins hit each other as they pass. Is this pretty normal with most fins, is it just a matter of adjusting my leg position to not do that?
  • After a while in the pool, my achilles tendon feels sore, I can feel the fin strap pressing on it (my girlfriend who is taking OW with me doesn't feel anything like that). Is that to be expected or is it an issue?
  • The fit of the fins with 5 mm boots seems fine, but how much movement of the foot pocket is noticeable when in the water? I can feel some vertical movement (relative to the flat of the fin). Is a more flexible pocket that hugs your foot better?
  • My girlfriend has the Scubapro Twin Jets (not the Max). I've tested them out and they do feel somewhat easier on the feet/legs. Any input on these fins? And are the Max versions much better or not worth the extra weight/price?

2 - Computers -
  • I'm looking at getting an Oceanic Veo 2, seems like a fairly decent computer for a beginner. Anyone know of any issues to note? Any suggestions of alternatives in the < $350/400 range (I've considered the Mares Puck Pro, but the one button interface seems likely to be aggravating...)?
  • People talk of the conservative nature of the Suunto's, but it seems they are used all over the world by all levels of people. How much does that really impact a recreational diver who is just starting out?

Thanks!

Hi Folks,

I'm a newcomer to scuba and to ScubaBoard, and am looking forward to learning and diving more. Just finished up the confined water part of my OW training, will be finishing up the OW training in September.

I have general questions on 2 areas for the SB knowledge base that I've not been quite able to figure out through searching other threads. Any and all input on these points would be great, and let me know if I'm over thinking anything.

1 - Fins -
  • I am using Seawing Nova fins. When I do a flutter kick I find the fins hit each other as they pass. Is this pretty normal with most fins, is it just a matter of adjusting my leg position to not do that?
  • After a while in the pool, my achilles tendon feels sore, I can feel the fin strap pressing on it (my girlfriend who is taking OW with me doesn't feel anything like that). Is that to be expected or is it an issue?
  • The fit of the fins with 5 mm boots seems fine, but how much movement of the foot pocket is noticeable when in the water? I can feel some vertical movement (relative to the flat of the fin). Is a more flexible pocket that hugs your foot better?
  • My girlfriend has the Scubapro Twin Jets (not the Max). I've tested them out and they do feel somewhat easier on the feet/legs. Any input on these fins? And are the Max versions much better or not worth the extra weight/price?

2 - Computers -
  • I'm looking at getting an Oceanic Veo 2, seems like a fairly decent computer for a beginner. Anyone know of any issues to note? Any suggestions of alternatives in the < $350/400 range (I've considered the Mares Puck Pro, but the one button interface seems likely to be aggravating...)?
  • People talk of the conservative nature of the Suunto's, but it seems they are used all over the world by all levels of people. How much does that really impact a recreational diver who is just starting out?

Thanks!

Here is the best answer you'll get for just about any question you post..."It depends." Now that that's out of the way, here's my two cents:

Fins: Just adjust your kick a bit and you'll be fine. I'd suggest a frog kick, but the Seawing Novas don't work well for that kick. The strap might be too tight on your heel (tendon). I have the same problem with some fins, but others are fine. The Novas use a bungee strap and I honestly don't know if it can be loosened. Your boot/fin should fit snug, but not so snug that it cramps your foot/toes. A wee bit of movement is OK. I'm not a fan of the twin jets. They are easy on the feet and knees, but require a lot of effort if there is any current. I have no experience with the twin jet max fins.

Computer: I have 4 Suuntos and 1 Atomic. I dive with people who use other types of computers. I've never worried about being too conservative or having to sit out a dive and I'm one of those knuckleheads who will do 5+ dives a day on vacation if I can.

Hope this helps. One more piece of advice...Relax, breathe, enjoy!

I prefer a conservative setting on a computer. I also prefer a computer that you can set the conservation to your liking. Other things to look for are backlight,nitrox and ease of use. One button may cause it to be aggravating, it would be for me. If I have to open the manual everytime I need to change the gas setting or time, it would certainly annoy me.
I finally gave in to the Liquivision Xeo but its at a much higher price range. I needed the OLED screen for low vis and night dives, especially because I have some early cataracts. Also, I love the touch screen because I've always had issues getting those darn computers to change from one function to the next with the buttons. The touch screen is very intuitive, like using an IPhone.
For your fins- I prefer a plain old jet or Hollis fin. You can buy the jets dirt cheap and then spend some extra for spring straps. you want the spring straps, they are so nice!
The plain style fins are easier to learn precision kicks like frog,back kick and helicopter. Plus, I found that I couldn't keep up in current with my old split fins, especially with the extra drag of a drysuit. I think the bend in the Novas are a place where the fins could break or possibly get snagged on fishing line, if you lake dive. They also bend, which means you lose some efficiency, I would think.
I think if you're feeling the Achilles and foot pocket that your fins might be too large.

CB, Tracy, thanks for your responses.

Good to know that the "conservativeness" of the computer is not a real issue. I had gotten that impression from what I'd read but figured more validation would be good.

The Nova strap is not adjustable, so nothing I could do short of replacing them. Though I figure I could modify them with some extra padding or something. I think the overall fit is as correct as it's going to be for these particular fins and the sizes they come in (got them at a LDS, so I did try other sizes/types). It may be a function of finding another pair of fins, but I may give it a little more time to see if I can get accustomed to them. I have tried frog kicking in them, and it works reasonably well for me, may just work on that a bit more.

The Suuntos are fine. I don't find them to be all that conservative, and you can set varying degrees of conservancy.

BTW there's nothing wrong with a conservative algorithm. Remember, if you get bent then you can't dive. The entire point of a computer to keep from getting bent. You want to criticize a computer that keeps you from getting bent?

Neve seen you dive, but I'll bet you a donut you're kicking too fast/vigorously. 99% of divers do. Slow your kick cycle down (slow everything&#8203; down actually) and see if that doesn't help your fin problem.

Hi Folks,

1 - Fins -

2 - Computers -

Thanks!

There is an instructor on ScubaBoard looking to tell his used Oceanic OCS. I have this computer and it is the best one I have ever owned. He is asking $360 for it, my advice - to deal for it!
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...s/460190-oceanic-ocs-computer-watch-sale.html

---------- Post added August 30th, 2013 at 04:59 AM ----------

The retail price for this computer is $700 USD.

If your Achilles tendon is getting sore, it suggests that the bungie straps on your fins are too tight. Perhaps the fit foot pocket itself is too small (although what you say about movement argues against that).

The Novas are a fairly long and moderately stiff fin, so they take a powerful "bite" of the water, which can result in some fin movement on your foot. If the fin is truly slopping around (both up and down and side to side) the foot pocket is too big. But a little movement is expected, especially if you are kicking hard.

Split fins reduce the effort that the diver has to make to kick, but they do it in part by not imparting the same degree of force to the water. They also don't work as well as horizontal stabilizers, and I would implore you not to switch to them until you have give other fins a good try. You may not like the Novas, but I'd try another paddle fin before going to splits. It will cost you far less money, too.

RJP - I tried slowing it down (in a pool) and working on form as others suggested and that does seem to help, thanks.

TSandM - Yeah, the foot pocket seems right to me. There isn't excess movement and anything smaller won't fit at all. Looks like I was kicking harder than necessary. Good to know that some small movement is not unusual. Thanks for the guidance on split fins too.

I think as far as the fins go, I will work on my kick form more and at least go through the open water part of the OW course with the Nova before making any switches. I do like them and they seem to work well with decent form. I could also consider switching the straps as a last resort on the Nova before another fin type comes in to consideration. My LDS has a great exchange/return policy, so I can always swap for store credit if the Nova doesn't work.

For the computers, I am now considering going up in price a little to get a better overall package. The Suunto Vyper is available around USD 450 including the data cable. Anyone see any issue with that device? I am averse to going with a used comp as a first device, and while the tech geek in me wants something high end, it seems clear that it is unnecessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom