Open Water entry level has been a disaster so far

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lexir

Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking the Open Water entry level at my university.
I mastered mask clearing and regulator removal, but...

1) I can't for the life of me, snorkel an entire length of pool without sticking my head out of the water -- the instructor and her aides give me a hard time about this.
2) My flutter kick is extremely awkward, even if I keep telling myself "don't pedal, don't pedal, don't pedal..." but I end up pedaling -- again, my instructor gives me hell.
3) When I try to swim around in the dive well, I can't stay off the ground (I think I have too much weight
4) My instructor was concerned that I couldn't ascend quickly enough (which was the first time she was teaching us this).

With one more pool session to go before the dive, she tells me she can't certify me at the level I am, but I can a) take extra sessions which I need to pay for, or b) sit out the pool sessions during the next Open Water course, which is a few weeks from now, and make the final dive with that group.

The rest of the class is doing well and I feel like a complete moron, and I admitted this to her, but she answered that the other students probably have more swimming experience.

I really, really want to be a diver, but so far it's not going well.

My personal opinion, I think the course is going way too fast, but what do I know??

she answered that the other students probably have more swimming experience.

Do they? Being comfortable in the lessons was easy for me and my daughter as we already spent a lot of time swimming and have taken lots of swimming lessons. If you add diving and trying to be comfortable in the water it would be a lot to get used to all at once.

Don't quit, maybe take the next course, get a student pool pass and master the swim skill and use your fins mask and snorkel in the pool.

Good luck!

At least you did the mask skills, which students aften find difficult. Not sure about why you raise your head while snorkelling--perhaps you worry about hitting the pool wall?

Read the journal of my open water class (link in my sig line). Some people take to this faster than others.

Snorkeling is harder than diving, in terms of breathing -- there is actually a reason for it. The snorkel adds "dead space" to the respiratory system, so you have to breathe harder to snorkel than you do to use a regulator.

When it comes to bicycling with your kick -- swim as close to the bottom as you can. If your knees are hitting the bottom, that's feedback that you are bicycling. I also found it helpful to think of being as LONG from my shoulders to my knees as possible. Some people find it helpful to think of tightening the buttock muscles to lift the thighs. Whatever works to help you keep the knees out of the equation!

As far as swimming in the "diving well" goes, even if you are carrying a bit too much weight, if you put enough air in your BC, you can get neutral. But if you are swimming around feet down, you are constantly kicking up -- which means that the minute you stop, you will sink. In order to be truly neutral, you have to be more or less flat in the water. Get a buddy to give you some feedback on that!

I'm surprised that you can't roll over into the pool sessions for the next class. I suspect you need more time, and probably a bit more sympathetic instructor, before you are ready to go to open water.

1) I can't for the life of me, snorkel an entire length of pool without sticking my head out of the water -- the instructor and her aides give me a hard time about this.
2) My flutter kick is extremely awkward, even if I keep telling myself "don't pedal, don't pedal, don't pedal..." but I end up pedaling -- again, my instructor gives me hell.
3) When I try to swim around in the dive well, I can't stay off the ground (I think I have too much weight
4) My instructor was concerned that I couldn't ascend quickly enough (which was the first time she was teaching us this).

With one more pool session to go before the dive, she tells me she can't certify me at the level I am, but I can a) take extra sessions which I need to pay for, or b) sit out the pool sessions during the next Open Water course, which is a few weeks from now, and make the final dive with that group.

The rest of the class is doing well and I feel like a complete moron, and I admitted this to her, but she answered that the other students probably have more swimming experience.

My personal opinion, I think the course is going way too fast, but what do I know??

I'm in two minds about this. The instructor doesn't sound like she's handling a slow student very well... that said, if you can't snorkel the length of a swimming pool, then you're not prepared for the eventualities of scuba diving. If you "really, really want it", then you have to put the time and effort in. Nobody can do this for you.

Are you paying for this course?

Individuals learn diving at different speeds- some never take to it. I've only once had the benefit of an assistant during an OW course- it sounds like the principal instructor is not using all her resources very efficiently.

Good advice so far. If you REALLY do want to do this..don't give up too easily. It really is worth the effort! Practice your snorkel in the pool, you don't need an instructor for that. Perhaps another instructor would fit you better. You learn better from someone who really clicks with you.

Not everyone develops as a diver at the same speed. Just because you aren't able to fly through it doesn't mean you wont be able to become a competent diver in the end. It is worth taking the time to move at the right speed for YOU!

Do you have a friend or family member who is a diver? They may be able to help you with some of the issues too.

Where are you located. if it were close to me I would come and do some pool time with you.

1) I can't for the life of me, snorkel an entire length of pool without sticking my head out of the water

You should just float motionless and breathe through the snorkel. Sooner or later you'll get used to it. Only then start swimming. Swim slower. A slower pace will make it easier. You can increase the speed once you get used to snorkeling. You have been teached how to blow the water out of the snorkel, haven't you? Relax. Relax. Relax. No need to hurry.

I hate snorkels. They just feel uncomfortable. I still became a cave diver... So don't worry. You don't need to love'em. Depending on where you dive, you may (or may not) need one later.

No. It's not the pedaling thats the problem. The problem is that you don't keep your head down and feet up. Think of the water as a bed. You should lay down and lie relaxed. Horizontally. Flat. Motionless. Put some more air in the bcd so that can stay motionless. Once you manage to lay flat and relaxed, it only takes a swing of a toe to move.

If you're too heavy and feel that you're sinking, the pedaling starts.

See my comment on pedaling. Put more air in the bcd and dive with less lead. Your instructor should be able to tell you a proper amount of lead.

4) My instructor was concerned that I couldn't ascend quickly enough (which was the first time she was teaching us this)

Well... The rest of the world is really worried about ascents that are TOO FAST :D

Maybe your instructor refers to the fact that you have far too much lead. That leads to a number of problems: lead is heavy to carry, more lead requires more air, more air means you're more unstable at shallow depth (up-down-up-down...) as the bubble changes its size.

I feel like a complete moron

How old is your instructor?

I really, really want to be a diver

You will become one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom