Ear Equalisation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jw2013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm reading various posts across these forums and Internet on Ear Equalisation and how best to perform this.

I often read advice from other divers to equalise EARLY and OFTEN and BEFORE any pain and some advise to equalise BEFORE getting into the water.

Unless I am mistaken, isn't the point of equalisation to equalise your MIDDLE ear pressure with that of the pressure outside. So if I was to perform the equalisation techniques above the surface, won't I be pressurising the middle ear and creating excess pressure, pushing my ear drum outward? Is this "pre-pressurising" what others are talking about? One guy even suggested ear equalisation is "practiced" on dry land???

Also (having done only ONE dive passed 2 meters in training) I tried nipping my nose and breathing through it to equalise... how hard should I be blowing?

I apologise if this sounds like a stupid question but I want to be absolutely sure I'm doing this right to avoid damage - as much as I hate being moaned at by my other half, I'd rather not lose my hearing through stupidity or ignorance. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how hard should I be blowing?
Not very hard. Blowing too hard can do damage.

I'm lucky that I have easy ears (I can generally equalize by wiggling my jaw and swallowing), but when I go have to hold my nose and blow it is a soft blow.

No no it's good to ask,i'll split this into individual responses

I'm reading various posts across these forums and Internet on Ear Equalisation and how best to perform this.

I often read advice from other divers to equalise EARLY and OFTEN and BEFORE any pain and some advise to equalise BEFORE getting into the water.

Unless I am mistaken, isn't the point of equalisation to equalise your MIDDLE ear pressure with that of the pressure outside. So if I was to perform the equalisation techniques above the surface, won't I be pressurising the middle ear and creating excess pressure, pushing my ear drum outward? Is this "pre-pressurising" what others are talking about? One guy even suggested ear equalisation is "practiced" on dry land???
Gently pre-equalizing gives you a small buffer zone each time you do it (especially considering the first few meters the pressure differential is at its highest),the amount of pressure you exert when equalizing is tiny,especially if you don't maintain that pressure the eardrum won't permanently flex outward. Practicing any chance you get seems to make the process easier too

Also (having done only ONE dive passed 2 meters in training) I tried nipping my nose and breathing through it to equalise... how hard should I be blowing?

Not hard at all,if you don't equalize from a gentle push you may be like me and my wife and be unable to equalize at all using the valsalva maneuver. In fact if you try too hard you might blow the eardrums entirely

I apologise if this sounds like a stupid question but I want to be absolutely sure I'm doing this right to avoid damage - as much as I hate being moaned at by my other half, I'd rather not lose my hearing through stupidity or ignorance. :)

My best advice,read up a bit on equalizing methods. For me and my wife swallowing or pinching and swallowing seem to be the ticket every time. Some sudafed decongestant tabs also make it a bit easier for us to handle multiple dives a day

Thanks guys!

I'm reading lots on this and I'll watch this video tonight. It seems like your ears are so delicate when it comes to this equalisation - just don't want to cause any damage - probably worrying too much. I felt the pressure when I went down to 3.5m but coming up and equalising again before going down seemed to make this a lot better... not 100% but better.

So pre-equalising sort of add pressure that will counteract the pressure - giving space to continue pressurising further as you decend further?

Please, no mention of Jack Frost, he is here at the moment and I hate it. Summer are my months!! :wink:

I felt the pressure when I went down to 3.5m but coming up and equalising again before going down seemed to make this a lot better... not 100% but better.

I've always been told if you feel pain, you waited too long. Going back up a bit was the right thing to do.
Take your time- on a recent group dive, it took one girl like 8 minutes to get down to 60 feet. But if that's what it takes to be pain free, that's the right thing to do.

For me, those first 15-20 feet are the times when I can tell I need to equalize, so even though you are doing shallow dives, that's the time where it is the hardest on the ears (in my experience).

If your brains come out, that was too hard. Fortunately your eyes act as a safety valve and usually pop out first before any real damage is done.

Seriously, you should exercise your ears daily. It will get easier and easier. Of course, if you have an infection, do not.

N

That's the first I've heard that equalising on the surface actually makes it easier when you descend. I always assumed it was just to get new divers in the habit before the dive. At any rate, I agree--don't think you could possibly hurt anything doing this. I am one of the lucky ones who can equalize without any aids (like nose pinching, jaw moving, etc.). If I shoot down real fast I may at times have to swallow, but not usually. I equalize and hold the "equalising" position when walking and a noisy truck passes me--it muffles the sound. I learned that way before taking up scuba.

You equalise when walking? By doing that as the truck passes, does that affect how it sounds so you know it's worked? Am I understanding this right?... or is this a joke that my tired brain failed to register? :) Lol.

Back
Top Bottom