Fuerteventura - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Leek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. My 19yo son is currently in Fuerteventura (North side). He would like to learn to dive - and about time too :glad:. Good swimmer, has snorkelled but never dived. Wants to take Padi Open Water Diver course and is considering Mar Y Mas dive centre, Corralejo.

I had a very poor experience in the Canaries some years ago (not on Fuerteventura I should add) with a dive centre that had badly maintained kit and a downright dangerous dive leader. Clearly dive centres can vary greatly and I haven't been in the Canaries for quite a few years, so would appreciate comments/advice from anyone who has dived Fuerteventura more recently. Two questions:

a) Does anyone know the Mar Y Mas dive centre and, if so, what is it like?

b) Has anyone had experiences (good or bad) of any dive centres in North of Fuerteventura? (if so, are there any that you would particularly recommend or, alternatively, advise against?)

Thanks,

Chris

Ye gods and little space monkeys, I thought I was the only board member living on this tiny little island! :D There are two dive centers here that seem to be very well thought of; one is Abyss Divers (Corralejo) and the other is Deep Blue, which is where I dive in Caleta...about halfway down the island and probably too far to travel on a regular basis.

I'm afraid I've never heard of the Mar Y Mas dive center. I have had contact with Abyss in Corralejo and they always seemed very professional, but I haven't dived with them (I had to move to Caleta and so learned to dive with Deep Blue instead, who I would thoroughly recommend to anyone).

Sorry, I don't think I've been much help, except I would advise your son to check out Abyss as well.

Thanks JudasFm,

Will pass your comments on to my son :)

Regards,

Chris

Just by way of an update... My son took his Padi Open Water Diver course at Mar Y Mas dive centre, Corralejo. Enjoyed the dives and is now PADI certified and looking forward to some family diving holidays :)

Now just need to get my 10 yr old daughter properly trained (we had difficulty persuading her to come out of the water when she took a dive 'taster day' at the local pool a few months ago. She took the view that an hour and a half in the water was far too short :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom