Wetsuit for a trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scarlet23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I are heading out to Cozumel for a scuba vacation. We are getting mixed advice on what mm of wetsuit to bring. Some say 3mm or a 5mm wetsuit will be great for the temperatures that are suppose to range from 74-78 degrees. I am a warm blooded and do not want to overheat before I dive. I also do not want to be cold either when we dive the deeper depths. Any advice would be appreciated.
Desperately seeking wetsuit advice.
Scarlet23

Personally, I'd go with the 5mm. It's easy enough to open up a bit if you're too warm. It's a whole lot harder to get warm without the extra thickness.

If you have the opportunity or desire, consider taking a 3mm with a 5/3 hooded vest underneath or something. A hood can make a huge difference in how warm you feel and it's easy to leave on the boat or at your hotel if you find you don't need the extra warmth.

Those temps are lower than I would expect to see--even the cenotes are usually around 75. I wear a hooded vest under my 5mm in the caves, but for the ocean, the 5mm by itself is plenty warm.

(I just did a quick Google search and see that the water temp is 80 today. )

Just got back from Belize and the water temp was about 73-74F. Used a 3mil Neosport and 2mil socks. Did two 50 minute dives and by the second dive's end I was starting to slightly feel the chill. I also would go with either the 5mil or 3mil with light hooded vest. Or, just a hood might help. JMO

Myself and my daughters always used a full 3 mil for a week in Cozumel. If I did tend to get a little cold, I put on a warm water skull hood.
5 mil will be a bit much unless the top side weather is crummy. (And we generally dove in Feb down there.)

I always use a 3/2 year round in Cozumel, last month my computer was showing 81-82F water temps. Normally I have not seen much of a thermocline even to 100’+, so normally the depth is not a really factor for temp in Cozumel, within recreational depths.

I took my 3mm and 5 mm to Coz in November and the water temps were between 78-80 degrees. I only used the 3mm but always wore a hood with it. I get cold easily but on most dives was fine with the 3mm and hood.

I just returned from a cave trip to Tulum. The water temp was 78 or 79 each day. We had two dives a day lasting from 60 to 130 minutes. I was comfortable in a 7/5 and a 3 mil hood. My buddy wore a 3 mil with a 2 mil vest and a 3 mil hood. He got a little chilled in the last 1/2 hour of dive 2.

Have fun!

My wife and I have been diving in Cozumel for over ten years, we bring a skin and a 3 mil, water is usually 81 degrees at 70 feet.

In Panama in 76F water I did 2 dives a day in a body suit. Doubt more than 2 would have been any problem. There is no correct answer to this often asked question. Everyone's cold tolerance is different. Unless you can rent something and test it at said temperatures, the best you can do is consider what you feel your tolerance is and take an educated guess. If not very sure, I would say go with something a bit warmer than what you think you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom