Bring camera along without taking a UW photo course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Npallasi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to ask around for opinions, if diving instructors would stop me from bring a camera underwater without having taken any underwater photography course, and what benefits there are to taking the course.

I understand that maintaining neutral buoyancy is important, that divers should not harm or touch the wildlife underwater, that the diver acts as the tripod underwater. I also know some basics of UW photography from researching it online -- how light behaves underwater, framing the shot, shoot-examine-adjust, using photo enhancement programs.

I am going to take my advanced open water course, and want to bring my camera with its shiny new dive-rated housing along. I suppose that the instructor might object on the grounds that it would distract me from my lessons -- fair enough. But I would really like to test it out underwater, perhaps after all the lessons are done, on a leisure dive with the group. UW photography isn't a specialty taught on the AOW course I'll be attending.

What objections would there be to my bringing the camera underwater?

Should I take the "digital UW photography" course after all? I suppose I'm wondering if I would learn much from it. Perhaps you could let me know what you gained from the course.

Thanks in advance!

This is the second time recently that the idea of having to have a UW photography cert to dive with a camera. Where do people get these ideas?

Dive first, use the camera later.

An instructor will not care if you have and use an UW camera with or without having the specialty..... BUT, Please do not bring it with you on class dives. You will have other tasks that require your attention in order for you to get the most out of the course. Afterwards, feel free to test and tune your camera. A digital UW photography course can be anywhere from meh, to wow depending on the instructors knowledge and experience in the field.

This is the second time recently that the idea of having to have a UW photography cert to dive with a camera. Where do people get these ideas?

If I were diving with only a buddy, the question wouldn't cross my mind! But I have no idea what an instructor might say.

A digital UW photography course can be anywhere from meh, to wow depending on the instructors knowledge and experience in the field.

Ok. I'd probably try taking photos underwater first, then decide whether I should take the course.

Watch your bouyancy.

Will do, thanks. Refining my buoyancy is a goal during my training dives.

As some of the others have said, your dive leader/instructor will not mind - providing its not a training dive. Get your AOW and develop your buoyancy skills first, then start taking your camera along. You can pick up some pretty good underwater photography books - and online material and tips of course. But the key is practice practice practice. Expect to get more than a few doozies at first, but you will improve with time.

Also - do not take your camera and new shiny housing underwater for the first time together. Everything should be fine, but I'd recommend a test dive with the housing on its own first. Fill it with tissue/toilet paper/something similar and do 1 dive just to check all seals work correctly and there is no flooding. Its not worth risking your camera to not double check first!

Good luck & happy snapping :)

Also - do not take your camera and new shiny housing underwater for the first time together. Everything should be fine, but I'd recommend a test dive with the housing on its own first. Fill it with tissue/toilet paper/something similar and do 1 dive just to check all seals work correctly and there is no flooding. Its not worth risking your camera to not double check first!

Thanks for the suggestion! I've already checked the housing, weighed down in a bucket of water overnight with strategically placed tissue paper, and it withstood that test at least. I might be able to test the housing and camera together in a swimming pool, but I won't go diving until my AOW course.

I get that the water pressure at 40m is not the same as in a pool or bucket. Unfortunately we have time for 5+1 dives and not more and if I test the casing on the final non-training dive, I'll miss out on actually taking photos.

I think I might have to take the risk...

I want to ask around for opinions, if diving instructors would stop me from bring a camera underwater without having taken any underwater photography course, and what benefits there are to taking the course.

I understand that maintaining neutral buoyancy is important, that divers should not harm or touch the wildlife underwater, that the diver acts as the tripod underwater. I also know some basics of UW photography from researching it online -- how light behaves underwater, framing the shot, shoot-examine-adjust, using photo enhancement programs.

I am going to take my advanced open water course, and want to bring my camera with its shiny new dive-rated housing along. I suppose that the instructor might object on the grounds that it would distract me from my lessons -- fair enough. But I would really like to test it out underwater, perhaps after all the lessons are done, on a leisure dive with the group. UW photography isn't a specialty taught on the AOW course I'll be attending.

What objections would there be to my bringing the camera underwater?

Should I take the "digital UW photography" course after all? I suppose I'm wondering if I would learn much from it. Perhaps you could let me know what you gained from the course.

Thanks in advance!

I would not object to anyone bringing a camera underwater without a photography cert. After all, I don't have one ... and I've been teaching scuba and taking underwater pictures for years. But I would not allow you to bring a camera to your AOW class ... I don't bring a camera when I show up to teach the class either. The only class you should bring a camera to is one that's objective is to teach you underwater photography. Otherwise, it's just a distraction. You're in class to learn ... not to swim around looking for things to take pictures of.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wouldn't take a camera to a class unless it was for purposes of getting video feedback of my progress. Other than that, I've had a camera since dive 1 (sometimes just in my pocket) and will continue that forever. I haven't and won't ever bother with an underwater photography class.

There should be no objection at all. I have never taken an underwater photography or video class, and I take my camera/video on every dive. I did not do so for my first 25 dives or so, and I think its a good idea to have at least some non-training dives in your log book before you start doing photos or video, but there is no rule that says you can't. Nor should there be.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom