Newbie equipment concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arwen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!
First of all I am so happy I've found scubaboard. It is very informative to read. Thank you all, guys!
I am new to this forum, so I am not sure if i should have started a new thread, but here are my problems...
I completed my PADI OW course in the end of last summer and have only 8 logged dives. Now I am considering what to do next and whether or not to buy some equipment.
About my situation:
Where I live the water is quite cold even in summer. We have some lakes that are cold and dark with poor vis and reach about 21 degrees C in summer on the surface. The Baltic sea is also a cold place to dive. I am going to try these lakes of ours when making PADI scuba review course before going to red sea vacation this summer. But I am still not sure if I will like them. Cos I am a bit claustrophobic and even snorkeling in those dark water makes me feel some fear creeping around. It scares me to see my feet disappearing into darkness below me. Besides this claustrophobic side of mine I am a fish in the water. I like swimming so far as I remember and I had a really good time having my course and diving in red sea last year. Our instructor was really satisfied with me and my fiance, when we were taking the course. And I was so satisfied when after finishing the course I could see myself having less buoyancy problems and smaller air consumption than some of the other guys from the group we were diving with. So I can see myself becoming a quite good diver IF I put more time into it and IF I have opportunity to dive often. Which of course I could have it I conquer this fear of mine for dark low visibility water and star diving here in Lithuania.
So in this place the dilemma comes: should I buy some gear for myself? If I do, there is a big chance I will start diving more often and become a better diver. But then, which kind of gear to buy: tropic water gear for my holiday in red sea or something for less favorable conditions in my country? Or this there a way to have something suitable for both? To complicate the problem I really don't have a lot of spare money to spend on this.
Another question is that I can't allow myself to buy everything at once, so I am now trying to decide where to start. I bought my fins, snorkel and mask before certification. My diving instructor advised me to start with own regulator when I asked him. Do you think he is right? I am considering buying my own dive computer, because usually you don't get it when renting equipment and I could feel somehow safer if I didn't have to rely on somebodies else judgement on how long to stay underwater or how long the safety stop should be. I would like to feel more in control of this. I felt pretty weird on my post certification dives not having any bottom timer.
So I am considering buying Mares puck dive computer, because it is cheap and will be enough for me for couple of years I suppose.
I also have pretty good offer for BCD. I am offered a seaquest libra for 150 dollars, which had only been used for 5 times and then was kept for four more years unused. As far as I get it this BCD would be suitable for tropical waters, but what about cold lakes of Lithuania? Another question: is that BCD not too old and unsuitable anymore? We ride bicycles a lot and most of the times it is not worth buying something that is 5 years old in that section. But as far as I understand in scuba diving it is not so, as you can see some models of the equipment that almost don't change for ten and more years.
I am also offered an almost new 5 mm aqualung wetsuit for 80 dollar from the same quy. I guess that would be a total overkill for the temperature of red sea, or am I wrong?

To cut the long story short my questions are:
1) Which peace of equipment would you advice buying first: regulator, diving computer, BCD?
2) Would you advice buying Seaquest libra BCD for 150 dollars for use in tropical waters and in freshwater cold lakes?
3) What is 5 mm full body wetsuit suitable for?

P.S. I am sorry if I my english is weird to read, cos it is not my native language.

Since you asked, my opinion is to buy a computer first, then a bcd, then a reg. Make sure the bcd fits you. If it doesn't fit you, none of the following three sentences are necessary. Make sure it doesn't leak and holds air. Make sure it vents properly. Make sure all the buckles, connectors, tank straps and cumberbund are in good condition. If so, ask him if he'll take $100 for it. :)

Does the 5mm fit you properly? Does the zipper zip smoothly and the knee pads still firmly attached, velcro on neck piece in good shape and color not faded. Ask him if he'll sell it to you for $50. :)

Then a regulator set when your budget will bear it.

It is my understanding that a 5mm is the right suit a few times a year in the Red Sea and certain areas in Africa and even some of the places I dive at certain times of year.

If you decide to dive around home, you need to get hooked up with the local dive community. They'll probably have you looking at drysuits and such.

By the way, why is your buddy selling his gear and why did he buy it in the first place? Where did he dive the gear the few times?

Thanks for fast reply.
As far as fitting is concerned according to size charts both items should fit. But as me an the seller live in the same city, I am going to visit him and try those things on.
Anyway I am a bit afraid that my experience is too low to notice subtle aspects.
From the pictures he sent both items look as good as new and he also claims that they were used for only 5 dives because his wife didn't like diving after trying it (I can fully imagine that if first time she tried was in the dark, empty, cold place somewhere in a lithuanian lake).
What do you think is the temperature range for 5 mm wetsuit?
During my course in red sea I was not at all cold with old short suit, so I am thinking 5 mm long suit could be an overkill. And for lithuanian lakes it could be too cold in it, wouldn't it?

Arwen, my mistake perhaps? You are female?

---------- Post added April 5th, 2014 at 05:33 AM ----------

You are right Arwen. 5mm will not do for Lithuania, which is why I said your local dive people will have you looking at dry suits.

Everyone is different when it comes to what temp they need different wetsuit protection. For me, I probably need 5mm when the water is cooler than 75 Fahrenheit. At that point I also need a hood.

Yes, I am a female, but I suppose I am more used to cold environments than some males from warmer countries.
Hmm... At 75 F (23-24 C) I can swim at surface for more than an hour before getting cold with only my swimsuit. Of course scuba is different cos you don't exercise a lot and at 10 m I guess it could be around 15 degrees C.
Anyway probably I should better get thinner suit for my vacation and try diving conditions here. Maybe I will be so scared of the darkness and low visibility, that I will decide leave scuba diving for tropical waters only.
And so far dry suits seem too far fetched for me. But from the local forums I suppose they do dive in 5 and 7 mm wetsuits here in summer.

Hi Arwen, I think that the first decision you need to make before you commit to buying equipment is where and when you are going to dive.

Your choice will depend on this. As you know Lithuania gets very cold for a large period of the year - I have experienced minus 20 degrees celcius in January in Vilnius so local diving would be a serious undertaking requiring cold water prepared regulators and a good drysuit with sufficient under suit and insulation. It can also take a fair while to warm up in spring. But as you say 20-21 degrees is easily possible in summer in some of the shallow lakes.

So if you want to dive all year round in Lithuania you will need to buy a drysuit.

However if you are resilient to the cold, and want to dive in the summer in Lithuania, and to dive whilst on dive holidays then you could get away with a 5mm full suit with hood and gloves, the 5mm would also be OK for many holiday dive destinations (Red Sea, Cyprus and so on) for a large part of the year as well, just not high summer when it will be too warm.

If you are not sure of the type of diving you will do, but are certain you will continue diving, then I would first of all get my own computer and regulators (but make sure they were good for cold water) and then my own BCD. That way you can rent thermal protection (wetsuit or drysuit) depending on where you are diving, but the regulators, computer and BCD are your own and you know they are good condition and how they work.

As far as suitability is concerned the Seaquest Libra would do you fine for warm or cold water diving, it is suited to both, but make sure it is still in good condition.

The final thing to consider is travel - if you decide you will only dive on holidays, then buying a heavy, expensive wetsuit may not be a good idea, you have to transport it and it takes up weight and baggage allowance. Again, regulators, computer and BCD are not too difficult to transport.

So if I was you I would get the BCD if it is in good condition, and a computer if you can stretch to it. Then I would save for my own regulators. By all means buy the wetsuit if it fits, and you think it will suit your diving, but don't forget to think about weight for travel, and how many months it will really be suitable in Lithuania.

I hope these thoughts help - best wishes and safe diving - Phil.

A couple of suggestions to throw in. As mentioned, cold tolerance varies and you seem to be pretty good with cold. An option may be to use a 7 mil farmer john wetsuit for the cold places and a shorty in the Red Sea. I am fine with a shorty at 65F (about +20C) 70F (23C)+ I'm good with a body suit just for protection. Best is to rent a suit for the cold places and see how you do. If you are diving in Lithuania in winter I doubt a 5 mil wetsuit will do. I assume the temperatures are similar to Canada and get down to at or near freezing.

My order for buying would be buy the BCD and regulator first (at the same time if possible). Do tables instead of computer for a while. Saves money and you plan square profiles. Many will disagree on this--I guess I mention it because it worked well for me.

I understand your concerns, it's hard to start diving in a place where the conditions are not very favourable and to decide how to invest.
Some equipment can be used both in cold and warm waters. Get a good regulator prepared for cold water (good doesn't mean it has to be the most expensive!) and it will last you many years. The BCD you were asking about looks an ok model. It inflates a wing at the back and not around you like the traditional BCDs. That makes it more comfortable and help with the trim. If in working order, it's fine for both cold and warm water. Look for signs of wear and damage, inflate it fully and leave it inflated to see if it starts losing air. One thing, if it's tight it may be ok with a wetsuit but later not fit if you have a dry suit.
Now, what I think the hardest choice will be, the suit. It's great you can go to the Red Sea, but it would be much better to be able to dive more locally and often, not just once a year.
You said you were going to see how these lakes are when doing a scuba review. Maybe that will help you in your decision.
In the summer, water in the Baltic and lakes can be "warm" at shallow depths, even maybe for wetsuit. A two-piece 7mm wetsuit could work and you could use just one piece in warmer places. I think 5mm is too cold. A semidry (with a waterproof zipper) would be even better and in warm places you can always let some water in if needed...
You haven't mentioned, but I think it's also important to have a torch. It's always useful!

Thank you all for helping me decide.
TMHeimer, wetsuit really won't do it in winter here. The temperatures go as low as -30 C sometimes. The ice is 20 to 80 cm thick in winter.
There are some videos of our divers diving in winter:

This is not something I am considering next couple of years anyway (or maybe never actually).
Probably I will just buy a computer and take a look at that BCD. I will try diving here and I'll see if I like it. If I do, then I'll have to buy a regulator suitable for cold water and a suitable wetsuit.

Arwen, If you really get into the local diving, you may wish to invest in a drysuit. It's a significant cost, so make sure this is what you want. It's perfectly fine to dive only in the warm places, many divers do this.

I would consider a reg before a BCD, and a computer first. That's just my opinion. You'll want a environmentally sealed regulator. Those keep water out of the first stage, so they shouldn't freeze up. They are also perfectly fine for warm water use, and don't cost significantly more.

Enjoy your new diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom