Where to learn diving w/asthma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cogaritis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone,

I have asthma (controlled by medication [ICS] and I can pass PFTs from a dive physician) so I'm not eligible to attend a commercial diving school for underwater welding. So I want to see if I'm eligible for technical diving, where I can learn it (pacific northwest, though I'll relocate if necessary, and preferably from a school/certified institution), and what career paths are available?

FYI - I've tried to join the Navy, Army, Air Force, and Marines (all no), as well as the Royal Navy and Australian Navy (both no, too, but for citizenship as Aussie allows asthmatics to enlist).

I've also tried to enroll in commercial dive schools across the country.

To provide a headstart, even though I have never dove before, there are so many reasons why I want to dive - 1) I've always had a fascination with the elements (water, fire, electricity) 2) I've kept fish in aquariums for my entire life 3) I wanted to be a vet 4) I worked at petsmart in the aquatics department before 5) I've reproduced in captivity cichlids 6) I would spend my recess in school playing Odell down under 7) I would do all my reports in school on underwater life 8) I'm fascinated by deep sea diving, thermal vents, and the different species of life way down there 9) I have a fascination with welding 10) I was a plumber and am considering this trade in the meantime 11) I need a both physically and mentally challenging career 12) I've been researching a salt water reef tank for at least 5 years now but haven't set one up because I know I won't live in Arizona much longer 13) I'm interested in the chemistry and science behind diving 14) I've always had a fascination with the military, but not for killing, but instead for the random cool **** that they do (and of course the monotonous maintenance on their fleet) 15) I'm tired of the desert and looking at brown vegetation and sick of the heat!!! WHERE THE SUMMERS DON"T DROP BELOW 90 degrees at night 16) I'm single, in decent physical shape, and have no commitments 17) I'm 29 and I'm ready to take the first step into the next direction that I want to take in my life 18) I can keep writing stuff down but that's enough to read for now.

A few of you may already have spoken to me on another thread and for that thank you. I chose to make a new thread more relative to the original question.

So, tear me a new one and let's get this party started!

Thanks,
D

cogaritis,

Asthma aside you need to find out if you actually do like being underwater first. Currently you are convinced you will, but actual experience is needed. Go take a Discover Scuba class in the pool. This costs very little and will give you a taste. My youngest son was all enthusiastic to dive and did this. He found he was unexpectedly uncomfortable and in spite of excellent skills - he was smooth, precise, and mastered each technique quickly - he could never force himself to descend in open water. If you still like diving after the Discover Scuba (or other agency's intro) then get your open water certification. If you still like it then think about how to have a career in diving. Asthma doesn't prevent you from being a small boat captain.

Second, "technical diving" does not mean you are getting paid. It means that the dive conditions, skill sets, and equipment needed are more complicated than the "sport" diver. Both are generally done for recreation.

cogaritis,

Asthma aside you need to find out if you actually do like being underwater first. Currently you are convinced you will, but actual experience is needed. Go take a Discover Scuba class in the pool. This costs very little and will give you a taste. My youngest son was all enthusiastic to dive and did this. He found he was unexpectedly uncomfortable and in spite of excellent skills - he was smooth, precise, and mastered each technique quickly - he could never force himself to descend in open water. If you still like diving after the Discover Scuba (or other agency's intro) then get your open water certification. If you still like it then think about how to have a career in diving. Asthma doesn't prevent you from being a small boat captain.

Second, "technical diving" does not mean you are getting paid. It means that the dive conditions, skill sets, and equipment needed are more complicated than the "sport" diver. Both are generally done for recreation.

Thank you. I just purchased this: [h=1]Padi OW - Open Water Crew Pack - Blue Log & Tables[/h]
So that should give me some study material. I'll arrange for a dive and see how I like it. :) If I'm limited to recreation, fine, but I want to try. I'll take any class that someone will teach me. I enjoy learning anyway, even if it is of the most mundane nature. But I'd still like to find a way to do underwater welding. That's my ultimate goal.

And you'll have to have a doctor sign a medical release for you, even to do the simple try-it-out in a swimming pool, much less getting certified. You can see what the medical release is at http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/forms/pdf/10063-ver2-0.pdf. There is a question about asthma you'll have to say YES to, and that triggers the requirement for a doctor's signature. Look at page 4 of the linked medical release, under Pulmonary; this is what your doctor will be concerned about. Also, the Divers Alert network (DAN) has an article at Asthma & Diving ? DAN | Divers Alert Network ? Medical Dive Article and at DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions, for example.

Good luck.

Cogaritis,

I am sorry for your condition and the difficulty you are finding in pursuing your chosen path in life.

Now, assuming you will not be able to get into the military or become a commercial diver, the only alternative I see to have a job focused on diving is to be a dive instructor. You would have to spend some money and time on training and acquiring experience, which can be very substantial if you think of becoming a technical diving instructor (seeing you alluded to technical diving). In addition, it can be quite challenging to make a decent living out of being a diving instructor full time.

Another possibility I can think of is to have some other profession, such as a marine biologist or oceanographer, that may allow you to work on projects that require you to have lots of field experience underwater. I don't know how realistic a goal this would be, though.

Whatever you decide, I wish you success in your endeavors.

Cogaritis, didn't you also tell us you are taking certain medications for conditions other than asthma?

What triggers your asthma attacks? If it's allergens then scuba diving is quite ok because the air is filtered, so depending on the severity of your asthma it may be very well possible to dive, if they are exercise-induced then I think it's not possible.

If you are thinking of going all the way to technical diving, then I suggest that you check with training agencies which are their health requirements and then go to the doctor and see if you can pass those requirements.

---------- Post added April 12th, 2014 at 05:36 AM ----------

Cogaritis, didn't you also tell us you are taking certain medications for conditions other than asthma?

Oh, it did sound familiar...

According to DAN

"Should divers with depression be cleared to dive? Yes and no: each diver should be considered on an individual, case-by-case basis. Factors should include each diver's medical history, type and dosage of the medication, the individual's response to treatment and motivation for diving. In-water safety for the diver and buddy is the primary consideration."

So it's not a negative answer from the start. And for that you'd need the opinion of the doctor following you on that matter. Seeing how focused and motivated you are, it could very well be something good for you and since it will take you a few years to get to tech level, the situation could have been resolved by then.

And about the medication you take:

"SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors)
Although SSRIs typically cost more than other antidepressant medication, they tend to be relatively safe for divers. They do, however, have a side effect of drowsiness; this can influence the safety of the dive. SSRIs may also cause increased bruising or bleeding. Divers can experience barotrauma to ears, sinuses, lungs and have many opportunities to injure themselves on dive boats. Under normal conditions, these injuries would be unremarkable, but antidepressants can cause an increase in bleeding. If the diver is also taking medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen, bleeding could be exacerbated. And in higher doses, there is evidence that SSRIs may cause seizures, which have a high probability of drowning if they occur during a dive."

Medications for Depression and Fitness to Dive ? DAN | Divers Alert Network ? Medical Dive Article
Psychological Issues in Diving ? DAN | Divers Alert Network ? Medical Dive Article

Just so redcliff. And as I advised cogaritis in his last thread. He should discuss his desire with his psychiatrist (or prescribing physicians). I'm concerned.

Hahah...you sound just like me in regards to all that aquaria stuff (8 tanks down to 5 right now...SA, Pico reef, breeders, paludariums..).

I'm just wondering why don't you go into academia or conservation instead? It appears you make it clear that you love aquatic life, none of which you'll be able to enjoy as a welder of any sort.

If you can, as you say, pass PFTs from a diving medicine physician, you should have no trouble finding someplace to learn to dive, as a recreational diver.

"Technical" diving just refers to diving, done for recreation, that exceeds the no decompression limits or enters an overhead environment. One must first learn to be a very good recreational diver before embarking on technical training. In general, if you are signed off to dive with respect to your asthma and your depression, you will also be signed off for technical training. Technical training can be done almost anywhere, including in Arizona.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom