Training then. This is what was state of the art advice in 1968

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
From "The Skin Diver's Bible" by Owen Lee published in 1963 and then again in 68. I will be posting some excerpts from this here. Just to give a taste of what diving and dive training and advice used to be. BTW 160 pages with a cover price of 1.95.

"Today only two kinds of air valves are used on tanks. They are the straight K valve and the constant-reserve J valve. The K valve is a simple open-and-close valve mechanism that provides air to the breathing regulator straight from the cylinder. There is no built-in air-reserve mechanism. When the air pressure in your cylinder becomes low, it gradually becomes harder for you to breathe. When at last the air pressure in the cylinder becomes almost equal with the water pressure surrounding it, it becomes impossible to breathe. But the moment the diver begins his ascent towards the surface, the air in the tank expands and provides him with a few more breaths, which are adequate to get him safely to the surface. He cannot however go any deeper before starting his ascent. In fact the only advantage to a K valve is the relatively small price of $8.00. Because of it's lack of a constant-reserve device, I do not recommend it for depths beyond 30 feet."

" If an air tank is equipped with a J valve, a spring loaded shut off device stops the air flow automatically when the air pressure drops to about 300 pounds per square inch. At that point the diver pulls a lever that releases the remaining 300 pounds per square inch of air pressure for breathing, and the diver knows he has from five to fifteen minutes (depending on his depth) of air remaining in order to reach the surface. If necessary he can swim deeper to free himself from entanglements or to leave the interior of a sunken wreck or cave before heading toward the surface. The straight K valve does not permit going deeper once the air flow stops. Thus the J valve is highly recommended. Although it costs more than three times as much as the straight K valve, it is well worth the price."

There are a lot of these entries that have me going hmmm. This one stood out the most so far.

It's interesting to see how much has changed in the last ~50 or so years... keep posting!

I always assumed that the K valve came with the adoption of the SPG. To read this instruction suggests it was just and cheap way out that slashed safety margins.

Also, being blessed 300 - 500 PSI from the J valve to leisurely conclude the dive with is in stark contrast with "back on the boat with 500!".

Wow, "...or leave the interior of a sunken ship or inside of a cave..."
With 300-400 PSI? That's pretty ballsy.

I use a J valve with my double hose but I'm also a fanatic at looking at my depth and time.
I always thought you were supposed to keep track of depth and time and be about ready to end the dive when the tank runs low making you pull the J lever.
I know I can get about 45 minutes out of a steel 72 doing a dive to an average depth of about 40 feet. By the time it gets hard to breathe I'm back at the beach in the shallows.

I always assumed that the K valve came with the adoption of the SPG. To read this instruction suggests it was just and cheap way out that slashed safety margins.

Also, being blessed 300 - 500 PSI from the J valve to leisurely conclude the dive with is in stark contrast with "back on the boat with 500!".

The K valve was out long before the J valve... So it wasn't a way to reduce costs. The J was a huge advancement in safety since everyone (thought they) had this nice reserve. In reality, the J-rods would occasionally get pulled during a dive, so someone relying on the increased breathing resistance to signal that it was time to head for the surface, sometimes got a nasty surprise. The good thing though was that if you were prudent and checked the rod throughout the dive, you simply had to push it back up to re-activate it if it had snagged along the way. It was really no different than checking your SPG as we do now.

I started diving in '74 and SPGs were pretty common by then, but only just barely. Many of us combined a J valve and SPG. As I recall, you could tell if your J-rod was set properly as you got to maybe 7-800 PSI because the gauge would fall, then rise, as you took a breath, much like it would if your valve was mostly closed. The J valve mechanism was just a spring-loaded "plunger" that relied on tank pressure to keep it open. As the pressure got lower, the little plunger would begin to reduce the airflow, making it harder to breath. It would never completely shut it off, no matter how low you got though... just tough to breath. (Of course the regs weren't all that great at breathing at low pressure either, since most weren't balanced.)

And ya, back on the boat with 500 is still just silly IMHO. What a waste. ;-)

This illustration shows the difference between the two (J, K valves). Notice the orifice in the J-valve seat. My first twins used this manifold with a reserve...

View attachment 181757View attachment j-k-twin_manual_07-07-1.pdf

But the moment the diver begins his ascent towards the surface, the air in the tank expands

Wow. Even the physics were different back then. Nowadays we have tanks that don't compress the air with depth and only have to contend with the pressure of the water column on our chests.

I started with J-valves (and no SPG), and yes, you hoped that the rod hadn't gotten pulled inadvertently when it started getting hard to breathe.

If you have a copy of the 1953 U.S. Divers catalog, the first mail order catalog for diving equipment, you will see that the K valve and the J valve were both available for sale. They could be ordered off of pages 6 and 7. Buying from that catalog is, in fact, how the two valves got their names. If you wanted the one without the reserve, you ordered item K. If you wanted the one with the reserve, you ordered item J. The accessory pieces you ordered were labeled accordingly. For example, you could order a Pull-rod for J valve (stainless) for $1.25.

---------- Post added April 13th, 2014 at 08:27 PM ----------

As for the state of learning then....

I recently read a history of NAUI, written by Al Tillman, NAUI instructor #1. In the early days of scuba, there were only a couple of local dive certification agencies, and a group of instructors met in Houston in 1960 to try to get together on some national standards for instruction. They essentially had the first instructor certification session. This was before either NAUI or PADI were in existence. Tillman said that, reflecting back on that experience, some said that they believed that the average OW student leaving a certification class in the modern era is a better diver than the ones who went through that first instructor certification program. I know that goes against the common belief of those who were certified back in the good old days when you had to have god-like skills to get certified, but that is the memory of the people who ran that session and went on to create modern scuba instruction.

Everything taken from early diving has to be seen in the context that most divers had previous skin diving experience. Every vintage training book I have is filled with skin diving information. From that perspective, things like J valves and even K valves without spg's weren't the boogeyman they are today.

For years I had a habit of reaching back to check the J valve rod - from diving without an SPG or bottom timer in and around kelp. You really really did not want to be surprised reaching back to get that extra 3 - 500 psi to find that the rod had gotten snagged and you were OOA - particularly if you were anywhere near kelp. Same reflex that most have to check the spg now. Just every few minutes you reach back and make sure the rod was in the correct position - became completely unconcious.

MUCH happier diving with an SPG and a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom