First Dive Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamieMc5280

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was OW certified last summer and have planned my first dive vacation to Belize in June. I am renting gear from the dive shop we are diving with while in Belize- My question is this: I am bringing my own, fins, mask, wetsuit, snorkel and booties but I'm not sure what kind of bag I need to bring on the boat for the dives. I would like a cover-up of some sort for the boat rides (2 of them are 2.5 hours each way) as well as sunglasses, sunscreen, my GoPro and my iPod. Any suggestions on a lightweight bag that will accommodate all of this? I also don't want to look like a complete newbie hauling all my **** in a rolling bag LOL. Please help :)

Ha ha, no, don't bring a rolling bag. But just about any other kind of bag, even the canvas kind you take to the beach, will not get you strange looks. It's not like there is some kind of secret bag protocol among divers. You may want to consider a mesh backpack or some other bag that can more easily accommodate stuff after it's wet. Here's an example: Stahlsac B.V.I. Mesh Backpack at LeisurePro. There are many to choose from. Put your wallet and keys in a ziploc bag. Some mesh bags have a small waterproof pocket for that. There are also "dry bags" you can put things in that you don't want getting wet, but a ziploc is cheaper. Don't count on anything not getting wet on the boat. That said, there is often a bit of space up front in a boat where they will let you stash a bag, t-shirt, etc. that you don't want getting wet. Relax, there are newbies and people who dive only once every several years diving in Belize all the time, and it's not like they all have special mesh backpacks or any other particular kind of bag.

Simple netted bag would suffice. Leisurerpro has several options. Keeps your gear together, yet is open.

We use mesh bags (not backback style but more duffel style) and we bring all our gear. We bring a clear plastic dry bag for those things we want to keep dry. They come in all sizes.

Check with the dive shop in Belize. Some operations, especially those who provide "valet" diving, have mesh bags for visitors' use. If they do, it would be one less thing for you to buy/pack/count against your luggage weight limit.
Bringing a dry bag is good idea either way.

If you go with the Stahlsac Panama instead ($60) it has both an external zipppered pocket and and internal dry pocket. Get something protective for the Ipod also, it might get wet on a 2 hr. boat ride. Plus you don't want the salt spray all over it. Stahlsac Panama Mesh Backpack at LeisurePro

Besides getting wet, you want to protect your electronics from getting smashed. People gearing up on rocking boats often bang tanks around. Depending on the size of the boat, they might have a place to stow your bag but I've been on a lot of boats where it either rides out in the open or under your seat. So at least stow your mesh bag so that no one drops a tank on your Ipod/GoPro accidentally. You might consider a small hard case also - Seahorse, Pelican, Storm or OtterBox make them. Storm actually makes one called a "Divers case" sold on Amazon. A Pelican 1120 should take both a GoPro and Ipod also. I have something similar and I tore out all the foam except the outer single cube - it makes a nice secure space for lots of smaller items. Even floats if someone else kicks it overboard accidentally.

Generally when everybody re-boards the boat dripping wet there's a lot of water sloshing around. So don't put anything under your seat that you want to stay dry.

Thanks for the feedback- I think a simple mesh bag w/ a small dry bag will work. Also- not bringing an iPad LOL just a small iPod nano for some music :)

---------- Post added April 16th, 2014 at 04:05 PM ----------

Ok- another question: What is the difference between these two bags, besides price? Anyone have a preference? Any input is appreciated!

Sub Gear Mesh Backpack, Black at LeisurePro
Stahlsac Panama Mesh Backpack at LeisurePro

The Panama has the zippered inside dry pocket. SubGear is the lower end ScubaPro line. Another to compare for around the same price with the SubGear is the Armor - it's a couple inches bigger. And has a "semi" dry inside pocket - no idea what that means. Armor Rubber Coated Mesh Backpack, #84 at LeisurePro

I have a Tilos - used it for about 10 years. The closer on the drawstring started slipping after about 5 years if I load everything into it - full set of gear except tank so I just tie a single not in it now. I shore dive quite a bit so it's been carried around some also. No rips, tears etc. yet.

Nice thing about it is that it stows into it's pocket when not in use - easy to pack. The pocket is not a dry pocket however. Big enough for my big Tusa mask, wrist computer, (both in the same plastic mask box) and there's still some space left.

This one: Amazon.com: Tilos Mesh Backpack Bag for Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, and More, black: Sports & Outdoors

It's interesting that you're taking an IPod on the boat. In all that dives I've done, I've never seen anyone use and IPod on the boat (doesn't mean they didn't bring one). It's just fun to talk to people or listen to conversations people are having about their dives, equipment, places they're staying, places they've been, etc. during the boat trip. I think I've learned more about diving while talking to people on the boat than just about anywhere (except ScubaBoard, of course :D). Especially when I was a newbie, I learned a whole bunch by asking "seasoned divers" questions and they were always gracious to share their knowledge with me. Just my $.02 worth. Have fun diving in Belize!

To each their own right? I am doing 9 dives in 5 days, some of the boat trips are 2.5 hours- personally, I need a bit down time. It's actually my iPhone that I'm taking- plan on taking some pics on the boat too. Hopefully you approve. Thanks for the $.02.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom