Which place to choose for Beginners in Indonesia or the Philippines ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Langxia

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Me and my wife wanted to travel to South-Asia for some holidays and were thinking of trying out diving (I actually have been diving some twenty years ago but I think that is such a long time ago that I count myself as a beginner). We have been looking at some sites in Indonesa like Manado. The research I did until now mostly advised not to go to Bali as the diving sites aren't as good as they used to be (maybe someone disagrees and can post some info about the current situation)

1. Which place would people suggest we go to ? (Manado, Bali, or another suggestion ) Keep in mind we need places beginners can dive.

2. We probably want also to do some other stuff beside diving so maybe someone that went to these places can advice me on another point - I was looking at some Divers resorts, but I think we don't want to dive everyday as we also want to do some Hiking or looking at above see level nature etc. so would we better be advised to book a normal resort/hotel and then look for diving schools or is that something that won't work ? (as it seems that some places are manly dive resorts) I guess it would be cheaper that way around ?

Thanks in advance :)

Tons of options. Mainly depends on budget. If you are willing to stay in a 5-star there are many that have diving as well as lots of other activities that will give you a first class trip. If you want so spend less, so be it. There are plenty of shops that can provide what you need. Use online boards like this one as well as trip advisor to help you decide.

Bali has some exceptional diving. Don't let anyone fool you. I have had some amazing dives there. But it may not be the best place for a beginner. But I never dove there as a beginner so I can't speak from experience.

If you're liking for more of an authentic, local experience, you may have to rough it a bit, albeit still with aircon if you still want it, but it can still be done well.

Seasonality is also a factor. Philippines and Thailand not so much in the May to October timeframe. Hit Bali those months. And east coast of Malaysia. Or Borneo.

Malaysia might be a good choice.
Choice of dive organisation will be critical as you are both beginners. Ask loads of questions and only go with someone you are fully confident in.
Redang has various options from posh to basic.

flow47 gave you very good advice. In the Philippines, I can recommend a nice place to go. Crystal Blue Resort in Anilao offers great dive sites that beginners will enjoy. The guides are very well trained and friendly. If you're considering this area, take a look at their web site.

Thanks for all the suggestions, in the end we opted for Bali. We will leave on Friday. I will try to write a little about our experience afterwards, either in this thread or in one of those that already exist about Bali.

When in Bali, start somewhere easy like Tulamben or Padang Bai. Once you gather more experience, and if accompanied by good guides who brief you on diving in currents, you may want to look at more challenging dive sites like Penida or Gili Tepekong, Mimpang, etc. you will love the diving here.
For trekking, I strongly recommend the Sidemen or Bedugul areas. Lots to do on land especially if you move away from the more touristy areas and mix with the local population!

When in Bali, start somewhere easy like Tulamben or Padang Bai. Once you gather more experience, and if accompanied by good guides who brief you on diving in currents, you may want to look at more challenging dive sites like Penida or Gili Tepekong, Mimpang, etc. you will love the diving here.
For trekking, I strongly recommend the Sidemen or Bedugul areas. Lots to do on land especially if you move away from the more touristy areas and mix with the local population!

We will start in Padang Bai at Geko Dive Bali. See you on Saturday morning :wink:

Please send a trip report when you're done....look forward to hearing about your experience.

So a year later I finally take the time to write a little report.

First we went to Padangbai to get our OW with Geko Dive Bali. They are a great team, the location is very good aswell. We had already prepared a little bit by reading the Padi manuals before and could start our class right away with the questions we had and getting deeper into the material. In the afternoon we had our confined dive at the shore in front of the shop. The days after we did our open water dives. We felt very safe all the time, especially my wife was a bit worried before the trip, but she fell in love with the underwater world after her first dive!
The rental material was very good.
Our next stop was Tulamben where we stayed at the Liberty Dive resort. When we arrived we told them that we just did our OW and would prefer easy dives and might need some more tips from the guide. Even if the guide was really nice and knew a lot we didn't feel as safe as with Geko dive. The briefings were basicaly : We go down we swim a little bit in that direction then to that directon and then we get up. Once we even had stronger currents and he didn't really look back if we kept up or not. My wife told me after the dive that at one point she felt as if she wouldn't get any air anymore. I told her that that was overexertion and that she should if that happens again tell me as soon as she feels it.
So if we ever get back to Bali (hopefully soon) we will definately go to Padangbai again and Geko would be our choice there again. Tulamben is very nice, but totaly over run by divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom