Getting Certified in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lindyloo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,
I am just a beginner and hoping to get certified while holidaying in Hawaii, we are staying in Waikiki and then Big Island, does anyone have suggestions of which company to use?
Cheers

If you're wanting to do it on Oahu, check out Kaimana Divers and Hawaiian Diving Adventures. I see the instructors working at each shop in the water on a regular basis since I dive with their clubs pretty frequently, and they're both good divers and good instructors.

I've been impressed watching the instructors at Kona Honu on The Big Island (especially Taiki).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was very impressed by Kona Dive Company when they certified my partner. They were vastly superior to any of the dive shops (3) where I took certifications. Can't reccomend Katie (from KDC) highly enough, but there whole team is great.
Melissa

I had a very good experience with Jack's Diving Locker on Kona, where I took my very first Discover Scuba class. I would recommend them without hesitation based on this experience.

How serious are you about wanting to dive? If you KNOW this is something you want to do, and you want the best possible start in the sport, contact mer on this board. You will get a superb open water course. It won't be cheap, though.

Mer is awesome. I didn't know that she did OW. I just got back from a week scootering with her. Many fantastic dives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did my OW at Jack's Diving Locker in Kona. Jack's was recommended by every person I talked to on the mainland, and I am so glad I went with them. They were amazing at every turn. I want to go back to just to go diving with the people there again. Amazing 5 Star PADI operator.

Just in case you haven't heard this advice before:

If you can get the pool work and book work done before you leave, and then get a referral to a dive operator in Hawaii for your open water dives, you'll have a lot more time for "fun diving" on your vacation! At least do the book work at home, because it's a lot of reading. Maybe you could do the online coursework. Who really wants to do classes and homework on vacation?

Back
Top Bottom