Should I get a Second stage alt or air2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cvgcuzz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm about to purchase my first set of scuba gear and was wondering if I should get 2 second stage or one of the air2? The air2 seems more convenience since I don't have an extra tube. However, the guy at the shop recommend me getting 2 second state because a dedicated air source is safer. Is this the case? And is there any major different between air2 vs air3? Thanks

Air2 = death.

Haha just kidding. Seriously though there are heaps of threads on this exact topic. I'd recommend using the search function to avoid whipping this dead horse any longer. :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Mike.D said, there are lots of thread on this but here is a summary.

If you use an air2, you need to practice with it. In an OOA you use it and the OOA diver uses your primary. You need to practice controlling your buoyancy while breathing from it as well. If you travel and only take your regs, you will need to attach another second stage. You also need to inform your buddies of proper usage during and OOA.

I personally would recommend against the Air2.

Advantages of the Air2 configuration: You get rid of a hose, and you are using a primary donate system, which I believe to be a better system than donating your octo. If you donate the primary, you know the reg is working, and you don't have to fumble around to find it. You also won't have an octo reg come loose and drag behind you.

Disadvantages: Proprietary hose (can't use a rental regulator on an Air2 BC). Short corrugated hose may not be comfortable to breathe from while conducting an air-sharing ascent. Primary reg on short hose makes for a VERY uncomfortable air-sharing configuration. Buoyancy control may be complicated by having to use the device from which you are breathing to control your depth.

Advantages to the 2 reg system: If one second stage malfunctions, you can replace it easily. BC does not require proprietary hose. Hose lengths can easily be adjusted to either the standard primary/octo system, or primary donate/bungie backup.

Disadvantage: You have two regulator hoses.

2 reg hoses are not a disadvantage. There is hype about reduced drag with an air 2 type alternate. And there may be. In a wind tunnel. As long as the diver doesn't allow the extra large and long inflator mechanism to hang down like an elephants trunk. A std reg set or long hose set with bungee back up properly stowed is not going to be any less stream lined in the water at the speeds even the fastest diver would be swimming at. There is no distinct advantage an air 2 has over a conventional set up. The one less hose is often not even a cost savings over a reasonably prices octo and extra hose.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

What Jim said. The point of an alternate air source is the ability to use it when needed and an octo second stage is much more user friendly than the low pressure inflator set up. Function over cosmetics. You made a good choice.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks for the info. I guess 2 regs is the way to go for my dive buddy and I.
I agree with that approach, you have made a wise decision. Having said that, Lynne made a very good additional point that deserves consideration, particularly since you appear, from your question, to be at the point of setting up your personal regulator:
TSandM:
you are using a primary donate system, which I believe to be a better system than donating your octo. If you donate the primary, you know the reg is working, and you don't have to fumble around to find it.
Most (but not all) entry-level scuba instruction emphasizes donating an alternate / secondary second stage to a diver in an out-of-air situation. There is an alternative school of thought that recommends donating your 'primary' regulator - the second stage that is in your mouth - instead. I personally subscribe to this approach. As Lynne points out, one distinct advantage of the 'primary donate' is that you are donating a regulator that you know is working at the time you donate it.

While this might somehow be considered an 'advantage' of of Air2 system, it really doesn't mean that an Air2 system offers something that a more traditional configuration, with two second stages, does not offer. Rather, you can set up your regulator in such a way that you can donate the 'primary' second stage - what is in your mouth - on a longer hose, and position your alternate second stage on a shorter hose, in a manner to easily retrieve it after you donate your primary- for example, the alternate is on a bungee necklace (as Jim suggests), and sits just below your chin where it can be easily found, retrieved, and put into your mouth. This can be done using common (I hesitate to say 'standard') hose lengths. Often, a regulator is set up with the alternate second stage on a 40" LP hose, and the primary second stage on a shorter LP hose (e.g. 34"). As Lynne pointed out, sharing air with a 34" hose can be a bit of a challenge. In contrast it is easier with the 40" hose.

So, something to consider. Get two second stages that are identical, or at least comparable, in performance. You can put a yellow purge cover on one of them, and put that second stage on a 40" hose (it can even / also be a yellow hose, if you wish). Use that as your primary second stage in the water. The other second stage, on a shorter hose, is stowed conveniently under your chin, on a bungee necklace. In an out-of-air situation, it will be apparent to your buddy where the alternate second stage is - it is IN YOUR MOUTH, it is YELLOW - and s/he won't have to search for it in the (Bermuda) triangle. You donate that second stage, on the longer hose, to your buddy, then quickly retrieve the other second stage and put it in your mouth, and the two of you make a comfortable, controlled ascent.

Last edited:
There is an alternative school of thought that recommends donating your 'primary' regulator - the second stage that is in your mouth - instead. I personally subscribe to this approach. As Lynne points out, one distinct advantage of the 'primary donate' is that you are donating a regulator that you know is working at the time you donate it.

I've read this a couple of times and still find it confusing. The statement, "one distinct advantage of the 'primary donate' is that you are donating a regulator that you know is working at the time you donate it." begs the question, are you thinking that your alternate air source may not be working? And if that is so, what are you going to do for air?

I met an instructor a few weeks ago who told me he teaches his students, if they are out of air, they should grab their buddy's primary air source. I was a bit
horrified. He said that in his experience, that's what happens anyway in an OOA situation, so he might as well teach his students that. I hope not to dive with his students. I think grabbing your buddy's primary is a really bad move.

If your primary is on a long hose, and your secondary on a short one, and you can calmly deal with your buddy's OOA situation, I can see giving him your primary after you take a breath, and then immediately switch to your secondary and if it is not working, buddy breath to the surface. But I am much more comfortable keeping my primary in my mouth, and offering my secondary, and making sure all my equipment is in good working order before each dive.

Best,
-Tim

I met an instructor a few weeks ago who told me he teaches his students, if they are out of air, they should grab their buddy's primary air source. I was a bit
horrified. He said that in his experience, that's what happens anyway in an OOA situation, so he might as well teach his students that. I hope not to dive with his students. I think grabbing your buddy's primary is a really bad move.

Best,
-Tim

Our instructors taught us the same procedures in an OOA. Grab the primary if the buddy did not give the secondary. We're new to scuba, so it got us a little nervous knowing that. Now that we really think about it, we decided maybe we can get the air2 later on once we have more experience. Does seems like asking for death with it at this stage lol.
Thank you for all your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom