PADI vs SDI OW and Travel BCDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djpeteski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Total newbie here.

Is there a large difference between SDI and PADI open water certification? Would you take one over the other? I have a feeling that it is more about the instructor.

Secondly it seems to be the best bet, if purchasing a jacket style BCD, is to purchase a travel style. They are pretty much equal in price, but the travel version offers more flexibility. Unless of course the travel size is "uncomfortable". Agree/Disagree?

Thanks.

It's the instructor.

don't purchase a bc yet. Rent several different kinds and see what works best for you.
There is also a back plate and wing option as opposed to a jacket bc.

just my 4 and 3/4 cents....

Last year I was certified with The Scuba Club. I was impressed enough with them that my daughter and wife just completed their certification with them. If you go to West Palm you may want to speak to them.

Be safe and good diving!

First, there is no significant difference between SSI and PADI. Both my daughter and I have PADI certification. My nephew however did an SSI certification as he got hooked up with a different LDS for his lesson through Groupon. When all is said and done the basic skills are all the same. What is more important than the alphabet for certification is the instructor training you.

As for the BC you should wait to see what type and what sizes fit you well. Almost all divers do their training in jacket style BC's because 99% of rental BC's are jacket style. Most experienced divers however prefer a back inflate style BC because you don't get the squeeze you do with the jacket style. And contrary to reputation a back inflate BC should not push you face forward towards the water, if it does you've inflated your BC too much at the surface anyways.

If I had to buy a BC I would recommend a back inflate travel BC but one that has enough lift for diving conditions that would include a full 7 mm wetsuit with full exposure gear. That way you should be able to dive colder waters with thicker wetsuits and not have to modify your BC. It would also allow you to take the same BC on vacation and not fret too much about baggage fees. Fortunately there are lots of very good back inflate travel BC's on the market it just seems like most travel BC's that get reviewed in Scuba magazines tend to be jacket style as well.

The basic skills taught in a scuba class are essentially the same across agencies. What really matters is the time -- very compressed classes tend not to allow students to have enough time to integrate everything they are learning -- and the attitude of the instructor. It is possible to teach an open water class by quickly running the students through all the skills, and then blessing them as divers . . . but they are not. Diving is, at heart, maintaining neutral buoyancy and situational awareness, and sitting on your haunches and clearing your mask does not teach that at all.

Look for a class with a lot of pool time, and if possible (and it should be, where you are) look for an instructor who holds either cave or technical certifications of his own. You'll get a different perspective from such a person.

Absolutely it's the instructor. As I progressed I gained certs from PADI, NASDS, IANTD, and SSI, and I'm working on the next one from NAUI. tragedies all of good work, if the instructor is good.

I agree about the instructor. Also, don't rush into buying gear. Try renting a couple of styles first. Your first choice may not be what you end up buying.

while it is the instructor, the instructor's teaching philosophy should match the agency. And contrary to what many feel good posters post on this board, there are some significant differences between the philosophies of the agencies. Think about it - if they were all the same, then there would only need to be one agency! But if I were restricting this discussion to only the two agencies in your original post, then I would say they are both similar.

RE: your BC purchase question - would this be your first piece of gear? Because if you are planning on purchasing a piece at a time, I would not make this my first purchase. But I do believe it is better to get trained in the gear you will be diving than waiting or renting. But if I were getting a travel bc, I personally would get an aluminum or light stainless steel backplate and travel wing. But when you sign up, your instructor should be help you select your gear. He / she will be in a better position to help you select what you need than this board will ...

Welcome to scuba and enjoy -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom