river diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wfopig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
is there anyone here that river dive I tried it and spent more time fighting the current what is the trick

It all depends on the river and why you're diving it. I dive them to find fossils, so I dive with a screwdriver and use it to hold me stationary. Remember the flow is the least on the sides and on the bottom, so stick close.

I dive the Tennessee river in Chattanooga, TN. when the dams are flowing the current is decently fast. I add a little more weight than normal to stick to the bottom and then use tent spikes (50 cent plastic tent spikes from walmart) with a cord run through them to keep attached to my wrist. This allows me to sink to the bottom and use the spikes to crawl upstream. For me it is best to get upstream then using my spikes allow the current to slowly carry me back down. I mostly dive for antique bottles and relics.

Around here, we dive the Niagara River. Simply put, its a drift dive with no stopping, or going back... Even turning your head too far can cause your mask to leak.... Its a fun ride.... Just need two vehicles. That being said, I wonder about utilizing a scooter..

I dive in the Hiwassee River, a class I or II whitewater river, a lot to photograph our native fishes. Like the fish I use the topography of the stream to move upstream, whenever possible using the dead or turbulent, non linear, spots behind boulders, logs or depressions. I wear knee pads to protect my wetsuit so that I can crawl on the bottom and use one hand for stability and the other for the camera; I like the tent peg idea, I'll have to try it out, but a lot of our stream bottoms are exposed bedrock or have a thin sandy veneer over bedrock. With a little time in the river you should be able to read the water and use the back eddies and obstructions to your advantage.
Bryce

I've been down the spillway after the hydroelectric damn on the Missouri River near Pierre South Dakota. It's a drift dive with no stopping. I did notice that the flow is less along the very bottom of the water column.

Thousand islands!

[VIMEO]28173118[/VIMEO]

I really like your video. I really enjoyed watching it. Thanks for posting. If you have more I would like to see them if you would be willing to let me know where to find them.

I really like your video. I really enjoyed watching it. Thanks for posting. If you have more I would like to see them if you would be willing to let me know where to find them.

Thanks!

I don't have all of my videos on this site, but there are a lot of them here: Michael Rothschild | Underwater

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom