• Divemaster

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Master diver

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Just do dives

Votes: 68 84.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Holt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have recently started scuba diving and have only 7 dives, next year I am thinking about going abroad for 8 weeks and getting the divemaster certification. However I do not intend to instruct scuba I just thought it would be a good qualification to have and will improve my scuba and would be a challenge. Is this sensible? Would i be better off getting the Master diver certification?

Thanks

Congratulations on getting started diving!

Do you have a buddy that you dive with? I think at this point, you should just dive. Try and dive with more experienced divers. Learn from them. Even as a new diver, when you dive with someone who is a good diver, it will be obvious that they are skilled. Both above and below water. If they do things that you don't understand, ask.

Use every opportunity with more experienced divers as a learning tool. In reality, try and learn something new on every dive. From preperation, travel, set-up, planning, briefing, diving, debriefing.

If you are not planning on using the Divemaster certification, I think it would be wasted money that you could have used for diving.

The Master Diver is really just a card (PADI) that shows that you have received at least 5 specialty certifications.

I would suggest you concentrate on diving. Once you have 25 or so dives in, then look to get your Advanced Open Water. Your skills will be better than those who use advanced immediately after Open Water and you should get much more out of the training. Then soon after that, get your rescue.

Then dive some more. Your profile does not indicate where you are from and what dive opportunities you may have because of your location. But, dive and dive often. If you have opportunities to dive in different areas/conditions, then do it.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I agree with what you have said, the problem is that I live in the middle of England so dive opportunities are very limited and only really limited to trips abroad which is why I thought I would combine a trip abroad with diving and challenge myself at the same time. And no I do not have a dive buddy.

There is diving in the UK. There are lots of SB members that post from there. Maybe you can find some experienced diver to help show you the ropes.

Check out your regional forum. British Isles

However I do not intend to instruct scuba I just thought it would be a good qualification to have and will improve my scuba and would be a challenge.
There is a certain challenge in obtaining the DM rating but it is not the challenge of improving your diving skills. DM training is about learning to work with students and teaching a few programs.
If you wish to better your diving skills make a few more dives, find a mentor or find a good instructor.

Chris your plans sound perfect to improve your skills and give you confidence in your ability to dive. There are many places in the world to gain your Divemaster certification. I run a very successful program in Cozumel Mexico. divemasterinternships.com Take a look at what we can do for you. I have helped well over 100 students of all qualifications and diving skills learn how to be a better diver while having fun in a new fantastic adventure in Cozumel. By the way we are one of the top dive destination in the world so check us out.

Cheers,
Mike
CD 184319

I agree with the folks who have said that a divemaster cert is not really useful if you don't intend to guide or assist with classes. But with some programs, it can be a relatively inexpensive way to do a whole lot of diving in a short time (although working your butt off during the whole period).

I don't live in England, and don't understand the geography all that well, but I have a LOT of online friends in the UK who seem to dive pretty actively. In addition to talking to the people in the British forum here, you might consider checking out The Dive Forum, which is a UK-local board which seems very active. Folks there might be able to give you an idea of how to dive more frequently at home.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I agree with what you have said, the problem is that I live in the middle of England so dive opportunities are very limited and only really limited to trips abroad which is why I thought I would combine a trip abroad with diving and challenge myself at the same time. And no I do not have a dive buddy.

where in the UK are you? I live near Bath, and up until about 6 weeks ago, I lived in London. So far this year, I've done nearly 100 dives (and about 30 of them have been sea dives). There is a pretty active UK diving community, so join in the fun. And chances are, there is an inland site somewhere near you :)

The DiveMaster course has the benefit of structure. You'll need to learn more theory, bring your scuba skills up to demonstration quality, and ideally you'll have good instructors to work with.
And you might surprise yourself (as I did) and discover you'd like to teach after all.
My wife took the Divemaster course, never used it, but does not regret it. I know it did wonders for her confidence as a diver.

Everybody is different, and only you can decide what would be worthwhile for you.

You also noted Master Diver. There are more than one type of these programs. NAUI and SEI have actual Master Diver courses that are stand alone courses. Essentially Instructor level skills and knowledge without the teaching component. Some of the knowledge and skills required are not even in other agency instructor courses. You won't find some of it until tech level training if at all in those agency programs. At least not without spending a butt load of cash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom