Best places to dive for newly certified divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have completed my classes and am now just waiting until the first weekend in September to do my certification dives. I am chomping at the bit to get out there and dive right after and haven't yet taken a vacation this year. I'd like to hear some opinions on noob friendly places to dive. I have my passport so it can be anywhere in the world (although sticking to the states would save on cost).

I also wouldn't be opposed to getting my AOW while vacationing either. So, what places come to mind?

Little Cayman--in particular LCBR...they have 'valet diving' there, as easy as it gets...plus, the diving is 2nd to none.......

Little Cayman--in particular LCBR...they have 'valet diving' there, as easy as it gets...plus, the diving is 2nd to none.......

Wow, this place looks amazing. What's the night life like? I'll most likely be traveling solo (my friends are lame) so it would be cool to mingle after a day of diving.

Wow, this place looks amazing. What's the night life like? I'll most likely be traveling solo (my friends are lame) so it would be cool to mingle after a day of diving.

lol, now that's another story, I was only answering your 1st question---diving is what you asked about.....:)-wife & I carry our 'own entertainment'..

EDIT:.....think "Bloody Bay Wall" & things might be a little clearer.......

I have completed my classes and am now just waiting until the first weekend in September to do my certification dives. I am chomping at the bit to get out there and dive right after and haven't yet taken a vacation this year. I'd like to hear some opinions on noob friendly places to dive. I have my passport so it can be anywhere in the world (although sticking to the states would save on cost).

I also wouldn't be opposed to getting my AOW while vacationing either. So, what places come to mind?

Honestly, you can pick pretty much any popular dive destination and be certain of finding noob-friendly diving. Sure, there are places like Bikini Atoll that cater to tech divers, but unless you're already a diver, you've probably never heard of those sort of places.

One of my favorite places to recommend to new divers, though, is Cancun. The diving is outstanding. There's a hard bottom at about 60' on virtually all the sites, so a slip in your buoyancy can't send you to your death in the inky depths. The reefs are vibrant and healthy. There's a ton of sealife, everything from tiny macro critters to rays, 'cuda and sharks. Visibility is excellent, with 100+ not unusual. There's little current.
We always dive with Alvaro from AlwaysDiving. As a matter of fact, one of our kids is in Playa del Carmen for his honeymoon right now, and our wedding gift was to have Alvaro meet them, do a DSD and a two tank with them today. They're probably getting started right this instant. :)

Dude... it's Cancun... Do I really need to say more? Go stay someplace like Temptation. If you can't find a party there, you need to check your pulse.

We did Cayman Brac as our first dive trip, again no nightlife. Also with no nightlife- Turks and Caicos -> Salt Cay and Grand Turk. Provo has nightlife but looong boat rides, but dive sites up there with Little Cayman.

As to Little Cayman, it's a good choice. SO is Grand Cayman. For a less costly venture don't overlook the upper Keys, especially Key Largo and diving in Pennekamp Park. I think for a new diver, you look for limited depth and lack of current. All these places qualify.
DivemasterDennis

Anywhere in the Caribbean should be great the waters are very clear, warm and for most part awesome

---------- Post added July 29th, 2014 at 09:32 AM ----------

FYI some Caribbean Islands have VERY favorable exchange rate to the US dollars like Tobago is 6TT to one US so a beer is like 1.50 us :D

We loved diving in Hawaii too, and the summers there are very calm. Check out the Hawaii forum here if you're interested: Hawai'i Can't go wrong with the Keys if you want to save money, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom