Free Diver Gets Certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wojo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all. I've been a member here for a while, but until now I've been primarily on the Snorkeling and Free Diving forums. We recently moved to the northern lower peninsula of Michigan, a fresh water shipwreck paradise, so I figured it was high time I got my dive certification. I signed up over the winter, and this past week I completed my check out dive and final exam. As my instructor put it after he checked over my test, "You tested positive! You're a diver. Now go forth and spread it!"

I think that free diving prepared me well for scuba...familiarity with some of the gear, comfort in the water, and equalization. But, I also had to unlearn a few free diving habits...holding my breath, diving head first, holding my breath, surfacing quickly, and holding my breath.

I'll be going on my first post-certification dives on August 16th, diving on the William H. Barnum and the St. Andrew in the Straits of Mackinac. Man, I'm like a big 49 year old kid...can't get the smile off my face. One thing, though. I typically don't go underwater without my camera, but there's a voice in my head telling me I should learn good dive habits before bringing a distraction. So, I'm going to leave the camera at home so that I won't even be tempted. I'll just trust that others on the charter will take pics and video and will share. Oh, and that voice? It sounds very much like my wife's. :d

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many other free divers we have on here who have opted to get certified. I'm not thinking I'll be giving up snorkeling and free diving for scuba. I'm finding scuba and free diving to be so distinctly different, and I'm discovering that I enjoy both for their own merits. Those free divers who've been blowing bubbles for a while...what are your thoughts?

Thanks to all of you, both the seasoned and the novice divers, for sharing your experiences. :)

Your wife is wise. :) The photos/video we've taken up to this point aren't very good anyway. You have to be *really* good at staying still in the water, and also have nice big lights (unless you're quite shallow), to get good photos underwater.

Welcome to the club! I've heard the wrecks in the Great Lakes are impressive.

:) I didn't say it was actually her voice. I think my brain just finally realized that my own voice was unreliable in keeping me out of trouble, so it substituted hers. :wink:

I've taken some decent shots snorkeling on some shallow great lakes wrecks. Here is a link to some if you'd like to take a look. These were shot at between 12 and 15 feet. https://www.flickr.com/photos/davwoj/sets/72157635145801478/

I know that the color will get seriously washed out once I get below 30', unless I add some nice big lights like you suggest. Still, it just feel counter intuitive to be underwater without a camera. :)

Thanks much for the welcome, and congrats to you again on the new certification.

howdy and welcome............

So what do you think of SCUBA so far? Have your views changed at all now that you are certified? I know some Free dive groups look down on SCUBA. I would like to take a free dive class or mentor with someone sometime.

I only have four dives under my belt, but I certainly can't understand any free diver looking down on scuba. I think the first mistake is even attempting to compare the two. Other than that they both occur underwater, they are two wholely different activities. I enjoy both, and I'll continue doing both.

---------- Post added July 29th, 2014 at 08:26 PM ----------

This just showed up in my email. It's official. :D

The following PADI Certification has been processed and as requested will be shipped directly to you.

Date: 29 Jul 2014
Student Name: Dave Wojtylko
Certification Number: xxxxxxxx
Certification Date: 24 Jul 2014
Certification Level: Open Water

---------- Post added July 30th, 2014 at 08:58 PM ----------

I managed to get a quick dive in this afternoon. Every Wednesday the LDS does shore dives, and anyone who can get to the shop by 5:00 is welcome to go at no charge. If you need gear rental, and I do, it's just $25. It's an inexpensive way to get some good experience.
We were going to dive at the mouth of a local river, but one of the owners just got a new lens for his camera and he wanted to try it out. He asked if we'd rather go on a boat dive to the Jenny Lynn, a sunken tug at about 15 feet. Hmmm...a boat dive for only the cost of gear rental? Twist my arm. :)

I was able to do quite a bit of skills practice, and I was able to try out my new dive computer. It was good to get a post-cert dive in before a charter I'll be doing on the 16th.

"I enjoy both, and I'll continue doing both."

You do know you shouldn't do "both" on the same day, right?

Yes. I knew that before taking my open water training, and was glad to hear the instructor reinforce it with me when I told him I'm a free diver.

Welcome to the world of scuba :)

"I enjoy both, and I'll continue doing both."

You do know you shouldn't do "both" on the same day, right?

That is actually false information. Here in California we have tons of abalone freedivers that also scuba dive. The norm is to freedive first, then once rested go scuba diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom