Wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andyw70

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone
I've passed my open water theory and done my first 2 ocean dives and now looking to purchase a wetsuit.
I will be getting a full length wetsuit because of the stingers in north Queensland waters and wondering what is a good all rounder?
And if there is a colour that sharks won't want to eat lol.
All the best
Andy

Don't get yellow lol. Any non contrasty color is harder for the sharks to see. That being said good luck finding one other than black with accent colors. Not sure your water temp, water temp fluctuations during the year, your personal resistance to cold, and what depth you will be diving. You need to pick wetsuit thickness based on the avg. temp you plan on diving and at what depth. I.e. you know you're comfortable in say 30 feet of water in a 5mm wetsuit at 21c, if you know that you will be diving at 60f most of the time, but the temp is still 21c, then you need to factor in the fact that that 5mm is really acting like a 3mm, and to get 3mm at 60 feet, you need to really be wearing something closer to a 7mm for the depth compensation. Too many variables for anyone to give you a suggestion.

also consider a custom fit wetsuit. especially if you are not the same shape as off the rack suits. a properly fitted 3mm is way warmer than an ill fitting 7mm.

proper seal around arms, legs and neck is more important than color or style. poor fit in any one of these places will allow water to flush in and out and you will be cold.

wetsuitwarehouse have a huge range, they are in Brisbane and ship free. I've had about 5 different wetsuits and Probe iFlex is one of the best I've had. 3mm should be enough for Qld, 5mm if you are a wuss.

Don't know if they are easily available over there, but check out the Waterproof W1.
I've been through quite a few, and find it fantastic. As it's pre-bent it's very comfortable and it's the only one I know with proper kneepads etc. A real quality product made by and for divers and none of the people I know that use their products have ever complained - rather the contrary. And, they're not out of price with comparative brands.

You should get a wetsuit in any color you like, as long as it is black.
DivemasterDennis
While I think the purpose for them is silly, those new wetsuits that are supposed to camouflage you from sharks are kind of cool looking.

Newer neoprene suits tend to have much more flexibility than older wetsuits. Look for something that has a lot of stretch, it will be more comfortable.

You need a suit that fits tight but not so tight it feels like you are getting strangled. But, if it is so comfortable that you don't feel any squeeze or tightness it is too loose.

Wetsuit manufacturers have multiple sizes but there can be a significant variety in fit from company to company. You might find yourself a medium in one company's sizing chart but a large in another company. Personally Aqualung wetsuits are almost always too long in the sleeve and legs for me so I don't even consider that brand when I'm looking for new suits. Bottom line is you really need to take some time to try on a bunch of different brands and different sizes to see which ones fit the best.

Color is a personal preference. Get what you like.

I live in Central NY and dive a 7mm from June to October. I'm not too hot in 80 degree water and not too cold in 50 degree water. Like said above, it really depends on the average water temperature you'll be diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom