Floating legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derffie

Registered
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I'm most uncomfortable at the surface of the water. I guess I have a male athletic build from years of running and martial arts. So, my center of gravity is quite high. At the surface my legs keep floating up. If behind me, they will bend at my knees and tip me face down. I can lay on my back but I really don't want to have to rely on being in that position. Thing is, I don't see anyone else with this struggle. I've used ankle weights but instructors seem opposed to this solution and keep telling me to relax. I AM relaxed...except for the fact that I can be comfortable at the surface. Ive been in the pool or ocean at least 25 times and this remains a problem. Suggestions?

No body part other than lungs floats by itself unless some days after death. Therefore, the problem is either in equipment (floaty fins?) but I'd be surprised; or in instinctive movements. i.e.: your legs don't bend, you bend your legs instinctively to generate a rotation to separate your face from the water.

If I guessed right, the problem is that the rest of your equipment is creating the rotation that you're subconsciously trying to counter. Thus, you have a larger weight in front of your lungs than behind them. To test my theories, I'd move weight from your front to your back.

If you have a back inflate BC you may get better results by letting some air out if over inflated at surface they tend to push face down a bit. Also as previous poster said make sure you max out your trim weights. Most BC's have rear trim pockets and some new divers are not aware of this. I am not saying to overwieght yourself. Do a proper weight check but when you figure out how much you need put the max in the rear trim pockets and the balance in your removable pockets. ck your tank height as well a improperly positioned tank can also throw you out of wack.

Like LI Diver said, your BC is NOT a life jacket. You only need to put enough air in it to keep your head above water. This is a common mistake with new divers who want to crank it completely full.

I would also focus on the bcd. Changing to a jacket style in place of a back inflate may be the simplest solution.
DivemasterDennis

I would rather see divers learn to properly use their equipment instead of changing to something that allows them to continue with bad practices just because that's "easier" for them.

Thanks. These are very helpful suggestions. In warm water I've just been using Lavacore and diving with 10 lb. I've been putting a 3 lb in each side pocket and 2 lbs in each back pocket. The single weights in my side pockets may well be sliding forward in the pouch. I'll try switching these around and be more aware of my bcd inflation.

I would think someone spending their youth running and performing martial arts having a center of gravity more towards their core and legs.
Swimmers on the other hand I can see as having heavy mass in their upper body.

I would try focusing on BC input like others have said. You probably have it over inflated and it is shifting your CG to a point where you can't compensate. It may only seem like your legs are floaty.

You should be able to tilt yourself anyway you want without struggle. If not then often times the most common reason is because your BC has too much input. OR sometimes you're overweighted and your BC as a result has too much input to keep you floating.
Not the likely case in this situation given you only have 10 lbs.

I've been putting a 3 lb in each side pocket and 2 lbs in each back pocket. The single weights in my side pockets may well be sliding forward in the pouch. I'll try switching these around and be more aware of my bcd inflation.

If you are foot light, put them all into your lowest BC pockets. Underwater you typically want the weight forward.

You could also switch to a heavier fin like Scubapro Jets, or Hollis F1's.

I might have missed it but what BC are you using?

Hmmmmmmm. Legs up bending at the knees. Sounds like your a natural future cave diver. Keep up the good work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom