Suggestions for diving setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pichy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to everybody. Been reading a lot for the past few months and must admit that this forum is very informational.

I’m a total newbie diver, who just finished PADI OWD course. What can I say… what was I doing for the past 40 years?, which I should have spent under water :)

So now I would like to buy my own equipment – step by step. I would like to ask you fellow divers for your expertise and try to comment my current wish list.

Hopefully I’ll be diving 80% in Adriatic Sea, other mostly Red Sea, Malta, etc.
As you can see my list contains only Mares items. The reason is my nearby LDS caries only ans is an authorized dealer for Mares, and my previous great experience with their ABC equipment.

Here goes:
WetsuitMares Flexa 5-4-3200€
BCDMares Hybrid AirTrim490€
BootsMares Flexa 5mm45€
FinsMares Avanti Quattro+100€
RegulatorMares Prestige 12S210€
OctopusMares Prestige110€
ConsoleMares Mission 170€
ComputerMares Icon NET Ready780€
BagMares Cruise Classic50€
Total2,055€

Not sure about computer though. The price is without air integration. On the pros side... I'm a bit of an electronic fanatic and just love colored graphics displays...

Hi I wouldn't get hung up on one manufacturer for everything, even if you are getting a 'deal' for the lot. It's a false economy. But my experience is that IF the wetsuit fits you well the 543 is a good medium suit although it will start to fall apart fairly quickly(they all do in the end). The upside is that it is light and good for travel and is a front zipper which is handy. Good for temperatures down to 21 degrees for an hour IMO. This may be a little optimistic for the Adriatic. You can always back that up with a hoodie if you need to. The fins are fine. quite powerful with a single tank. Make sure they come with springs or the new Mares rubber elastic straps. Forget the computer is my advice, it is hugely overpriced. You can get a Shearwater Petrel for that money for heaven's sake! Suunto D4i or Vyper is much better value. I personally wouldn't buy a Mares regulator. Have a look at Atomic, Aqualung and Apeks too. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to add the Flexa Core 5mm Shorty with hood, that I can wear under full wetsuit when needed. 5-4-3 does in fact fit very well.

Great info on dive computer. Agree on the overpriced tag. Will definitely look towards other options.

I've used Prestige regulator in my course and was ok with it. Maybe I don't know what better feeling I should expect. Best to try some of the other mentioned regulators on next couple of dives and see/feel the difference.

if the wetsuit fits thats great and that's why I bought mine having tried Waterproof, Scubapro etc which didnt. Make sure the shorty is comfortable with it. I use a sleeveless 2mm Scubabro hoodie underneath it(rarely though). Or else a wetsuit hood to stop cold water flushing through the neck. I personally wouldn't go thicker than 5mm for a wetsuit. If you are looking to travel I have had an Aqualung Titan LX which I have been very happy with(cold water version). If youre not too fashion conscious the Suunto Vyper is very good value and you can change the battery yourself.

Congratulations pichy and welcome to the forum.

I agree with OMANDIVER... don't limit yourself to one manufacturer. I would also suggest that you don't rush out and buy everything all at once - as tempting and exciting as it is! It's best to do a few more dives and if possible try other options from different manufacturers (BCD's, Fins, Masks, Regs, etc..). A little more experience and some research will allow you to make more informed and better purchases.

Also the search function on this forum will yield quite a bit of information on your options.

At one point I was almost a walking advertisment for Mares, and to some degree still am

Fins; Mares make excellent fins, I've had several sets (they do wear out). Currently using Excel+
Regs; Using MR22/Abyss on all single tank dives, plus on my stage / pony, MR42/ Proton as a pony reg plus another with yolk first stage. ScubaPro Mk 25 / S600 when I use my doubles now, only just purchased them as they fit better than Mares first stages on doubles.
Suits; If the suit fits wear it. Mares suits fit me straight off the peg, very comfortable. I have owned a Mares 5mm double zipper semi -dry for over 10 years, still fits and keeps me warm down to 20C with a hooded vest underneath. 27C and upwards I use a 3mm. For Adriatic I'd be looking at using my 7mm semi-dry or a dry suit if diving all year round ... cold is relative!

That's all the Mares gear I own now. I am a fan of Suunto Computers one being a Vyper, but don't discount the Zoop, just as good. Dive Rite Wings are also good, very modular and their travelpac single is great for traveling.

At the end of the day, pick quality stuff that you can afford, clean and maintain it and it will last for years. My Mares MR12 MkIII reg lasted over 20 years, My first BCD a TUSA Xpert lasted over 500 dives, but my second one barely 300 dives. Replaced it with a Mares BCD that I then sold as I started diving doubles.

Oh and the only dive bags you need is a large duffel that can hold your gear plus a cheap net bag for putting wet gear in (fins etc) if diving off a boat. For traveling overseas I pack my gear in an old hard suitcase.

My pick from your list would be

WetsuitMares Flexa 5-4-3200€
BootsMares Flexa 5mm45€
FinsMares Avanti Quattro+100€
RegulatorMares Prestige 12S210€
OctopusMares Prestige110€
ConsoleMares Mission 170€

Total 735€

Pick up a Suunto computer (200-300&#8364:wink: and another BCD (300-400&#8364:wink: and you have saved enough to pay for a few dives

And I thought I had it all figured out...

Thank you all for great information.
Will definitely need to look to other brands and do a lot of "field testing".

I picked up a 7mm semi-dry in Spain last year for 100 Euro in a closing down sale, (TECNOMAR) best scuba bargain I have ever had as it has a proper dry suit zipper too and although I had never heard of the brand before it was worth taking the risk for that price.

If you WANT an LCD then you could also consider a technical dive computer from Shearwater (e.g. Petrel), or an OSTC Sport (heinrichsweikamp), or an Xdeep Black (nitrox version)... Many more options exist. Lots of fun shopping. A cheap Suunto Vyper is all you need, but toys are fun.

The only thing I have from your list are the fins. I recently bought them for wetsuit use. I had heavier fins. They are awesome. Reall nice power and I can do all the "tech" kicks in them.

When end you get them do yourself a favor and learn to frog kick when there is no current. That way you won't be the guy kicking up the bottom and ruining the vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom