Burning mask with lighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PieDog

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I burned my mask once, but for some reason i skip the edges.
Can i burn mask multiple times perhaps? I have removed lenses to burn them easier.

Thanks!

Am I missing something in that question? :confused:

Okay, this is the New Divers forum, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Why are you burning your mask? If you tell us, maybe someone can suggest a more efficient way to achieve whatever it is you're trying to do.

Yes, you can burn your mask multiple times. I've never gone as far as removing the lenses, but that would ensure a complete removal of the release agent. What brand of mask?

Just do not burn a prescription lens mask; you will ruin it. Personally I have found burning the lens to be more effective than toothpaste at removing the film that causes fogging.

Yes, you can burn your mask multiple times. I've never gone as far as removing the lenses, but that would ensure a complete removal of the release agent. What brand of mask?
First I've heard of this. I watched the video--If all the silicone is burned off the first time why would you need to burn the mask multiple times?

Because you don't know if you burned it all off the first time... only when you use the mask again, and you get a couple foggy spots, then you missed some. Repeat process. 2 maybe 3 times usually nails it.

Because you don't know if you burned it all off the first time... only when you use the mask again, and you get a couple foggy spots, then you missed some. Repeat process. 2 maybe 3 times usually nails it.

Agreed...I had to burn both of my mask lens three times to get all of the releasing agent removed. A couple of things to remember though. 1) Don't let the flame sit in one place too long and 2) be very careful around the silicone skirting at the edge of the lens. I found that one of those long BBQ lighters works the best.

Was skeptical when I first heard about this a few years ago here on ScubaBoard. However, I’ve successfully done several masks since.

New masks react as shown in the various videos, burning somewhat slowly. But interestingly, when I did my old masks, ZIP ! the stuff burned off in an instant. They had been through multiple scrubbings with SoftScrub. No idea whether it was residual original coating, continued off-gassing, or something else, like body oil. Still, it was neat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom