Gear too heavy to walk on boat/climb ladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chicagolady

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm almost 60 and have done one week in Bonaire. I can't walk safely to jump off point with all the heavy gear on because of an old neck injury. In Bonaire, some captains were fine with helping (letting me sit on boat edge and bringing me my gear, and also letting me take off my gear in the water and hand it to them before climbing the ladder), and others were resentful. I don't really understand the scuba culture and could use guidance on how to approach this. Am I asking too much? About to do a colder dive in Catalina and it will be even harder with more lead on. Thank you for your insights.

There shouldn't be a problem with asking for help with your gear. If the dive op gives you attitude about it, just keep notes not to use them again.

That surprises me but then I've not been to Bonaire. Find yourself destinations with concierge service. Service with a smile and leave your gear on the boat snd it will be cleaned, put away for the night in protected storage. Next day it will all be set up and waiting for you. The dm's will help you into your gear.

I've been diving in some destinations where there wasn't concierge service but once I explained my needs due to injuries, there was help with a smile. They got good tips.

Very best of luck finding the right destination for you!

Last edited:
I'm almost 60 and have done one week in Bonaire. I can't walk safely to jump off point with all the heavy gear on because of an old neck injury. In Bonaire, some captains were fine with helping (letting me sit on boat edge and bringing me my gear, and also letting me take off my gear in the water and hand it to them before climbing the ladder), and others were resentful. I don't really understand the scuba culture and could use guidance on how to approach this. Am I asking too much? About to do a colder dive in Catalina and it will be even harder with more lead on. Thank you for your insights.

Some dive ops are OK with it and some aren't. You can ask when you book your spot on the boat.

You could also bring along a stronger dive buddy who can help you.

It's not a "culture" thing and don't worry about annoying anybody. Just like in other businesses, some boats are all about making things easy for their customers, and some are all about "I drive the boat, everything else is your problem".

Just make sure you pick the right kind of boat or bring someone along to help.

Lots of us have various physical problems. You just do whatever you need to, to work around them.

flots.

Diving is a service industry. They should especially be attentive to your needs as it leads to better tips. You did remember to tip them extra due to the added service extended to you,right? Or did you go out with them and received extra service at one time and did not reward them? Not to be mean or anything but if they did not get a tip first time out with you they have no incentive to be burned a second time. I suggest to give them $10. When you get on the boat and explain your situation to the divemaster/crew. Tell them there is another $10 for them at the end of the day. They will push each other out of the way to assist you this way.

you are not asking too much as scuba is a service industry. but make you do "ask" well in advance. and be pepared to tip for special personalized service.

for a bonaire boat dive i would arrive 10 minutes extra early and talk to the captain / DM before the boat left the dock. other places may require a conversation at time of booking. that way you will have time to discuss your needs and be able to review any special procedures that they want you to follow (potentially they will ask you to go in the water either first or last?). pulling a last minute "help me" surprise just as everyone is hitting the water is generally not well received.

as with many things, your results will vary across different operations. some are not prepared, willing or able. others will be able to handle your requests with ease. Divi in Boanire is fully equipt and well prepared to handle disabled divers - to the extent that they have specially trained and certified DMs and will even use a flat deck "pontoon" dive boat for mobility impaired divers.

Diving is a service industry. They should especially be attentive to your needs as it leads to better tips. You did remember to tip them extra due to the added service extended to you,right? Or did you go out with them and received extra service at one time and did not reward them? Not to be mean or anything but if they did not get a tip first time out with you they have no incentive to be burned a second time. I suggest to give them $10. When you get on the boat and explain your situation to the divemaster/crew. Tell them there is another $10 for them at the end of the day. They will push each other out of the way to assist you this way.

This post is a joke .....right??

He shouldn't have to tip an additional $20 to get a bit of assistance. Yes, he needs to alert the boat crew that he may need additional assistance. Also asking others if they mind if he sits nearer the boat exit/entry point may help as well. As some others have mentioned, bring a buddy or ask others on the boat for a bit of help as well. I've found divers tend to help each other out because we're decent people, not because there is a reward for us at the end of the day.
It is part of the boat crew's job to A) assist the skipper and b) assist divers in and out of the water (not set-up our kit). We're laden with heavy gear, and moving around on a pitching boat in fins isn't an easy task.

The only thing I'd add is to talk to the dive operator before you travel. It would be a shame to fly to Bonaire, find out the crew wasn't able/willing to give the service you required, and have to make a note not to use them again. Find out up-front.

Funny thing, I dive locally with a group of friends, most of us are in our 50's or 60's. You'd think you were at a geriatric convention watching us put our gear on. This is NJ where you'd expect a "we drive the boat, you're on your own" attitude, and every boat I've ever dived on there was a crew member more than willing to help. And if the crew members were busy, the Captain helps.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2014 at 09:39 AM ----------

He shouldn't have to tip an additional $20 to get a bit of assistance.

Rivers, it's a little different in the states than Europe. In some service businesses, workers pay is low and they depend upon tips. I'm not sure about Bonaire, although nobody ever refused a tip from me in the Caribbean before. Also, the tip is usually given at the end of the day as a reward for service, not as an incentive up front, so most people who tip are giving a financial "thank-you" instead of a bribe for extra attention.

This post is a joke .....right??
Why consider it a joke? The OP is asking for a bit of extra service and should show a bit of appreciation in the form of a tip. I am in the age bracket at 63 and last time in Cozumel I handed off my bcd/tank while in the water to make it easier to get up ladder. A crew member was always there to take it form me. Did I need to exit the water that way? No , I can still climb ladder with all my gear, but it did make it easier for myself.I fail to see what the big deal is in rewarding a crew member with a tip for the extra attention the OP wanted. I really dislike it when a crew member goes out of their way,even as much as to devote an entire dive to someone who obviously needs extra attention in the water and then is snubbed at the end of the outing by not even getting a tip or even a Thankyou.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom