First dive off of GA coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldenred

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If nothing else my first dive after cert. has shown me how much I have left to learn. Did a dive at R6 around noon on 8-16. Got caught up trying to figure out how to have my gear setup. Spent about 10 mins on the surface after getting in. By the time I had it all ready I headed down the tower searching for a good target to shoot in the face. Didn't find any cobia, mangroves or hogs unfortunately and ended up shooting an almaco about 100' down and quickly learned I need to figure out my gear arrangement as it took me at least 5 mins to get straightened out. Start looking around again and next thing I know i'm out of air 115' down. Hadn't been down but 15 mins on a steel 120 so it surprised me some for sure but this is where my planning came in. I had decided long ago that I will only dive if I have a pony bottle so I quickly changed over and decided it was time to go up. All in all it was a good dive. Learned some valuable lessons for sure, came home safe which is the most important part and can't wait to get wet again.

Congrats on your first dive, although sounds like you're lucky. OOA at 115 could freak a lot of new divers out.

A good rule to follow in diving is to only add one task/gear change per dive, otherwise you can get over tasked. Being your first dive, planning to go to 100 feet and spearfishing, while just getting acclimated to diving is a lot of things to keep organized in your mind. As you can see, watching your gas usage is one of the things your overtasked mind ignored. You didn't mention anything about your buddy - was this your first solo dive too?

Nah was diving with someone he was within sight but I prefer to not have to plan on someone else being there in an emergency situation because as we all know stuff happens. Easy to lose track of people especially in 15' vis etc. Been through a lot worse than this and keep calm in bad situations. If I can do it in the dozens of firefights in Iraq this ain't nothin. Just got to get over the learning curve.

With less than 24 dives, you shouldn't be spearfishing in 115 ft of water. Your dive was a failure.

Running out of air and needing to use the pony to make it up from 115 (that is what I am lead to believe) with or without some small jack should not be viewed as a success.

It should have scared the crap out of you and you should be doing a bunch more dives and demonstrate to yourself that you can watch your air, before you try to add spearfishing into the mix. If you were my buddy and i saw this, you would be welcome to continue to dive with me, but you wouldn't be carrying a gun for a while.

Sorry to be harsh, but it was a MAJOR screw up. If you continue to spearfish, you will be presented with much more challenging situations than a small jack.

While i am ranting... You first need to learn to scuba dive. then you need to learn to scuba dive deep where narcosis is an issue, THEN you need to learn to handle the gun and all the aspects of spearing fish in SHALLOW water where you have the time to make stupid mistakes... THEN after you have mastered all of that, will you be ready to try to spear fish in deep water.

First dive after certification??? 115 spearfishing...:no::no:

Edit: BTW, thank GOD you didn't find a cobia or I can assure you, it would have kicked your ass!

I agree 100% with dumpsterD and was waiting to see how long for such a post to appear.

So... What valuable lessons did you learn?

OW divers should not be going deeper than 60 ft. Doing a first dive to 115ft was reckless, and I'm glad you are able to post about this misadventure, but until you develop more skills you need to stay shallow and focus on basics. I've been diving for 10 years, and when I've had a layoff of a few months my first dive always involves leaving camera behind to get acclimated. Task loading leads to potentially fatal errors. I hope your next dive is more successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things I learned: I will pay more attention to my air pressure, did I panic? Nah, I have planned for this and I am able to keep calm in situations others would freak out in. I know most view this as completely unsafe and for most people it probably is. I also need to concentrate on air consumption. I know all you expert divers will completely disagree and dissect what I have said and I understand where you come from. I don't see the dive as a failure, I just see some experiences learned. Way I see it is if you are able to not panic in a situation that might not be ideal but manageable then it's not that big of a deal. If I have air to get to the surface and make my stops the rest is trivial. Keep calm and it will be ok if you follow protocol! I followed mine. Dive within the limits you feel comfortable and i'll do the same.

I know most view this as completely unsafe and for most people it probably is.

You're an adult. Make your own choices. I believe we'd like for them to be informed choices, though, and your dive description puts that in some doubt. Please do not be offended when I say that upon 1st reading your post awhile ago, I figured it was likely a joke, a caricature deliberately hitting on a range of things newbies shouldn't do in such an over the top way as to be obvious, and that I'd look guilable if I responded seriously.

Since evidently you were serious, I say that to offer some insight, not to insult you.

For a new OW diver, on his 1st post-cert. dive...

1.) Diving well over 60 feet is really a bad idea. Diving well over 100 feet, which is the bottom limit for training in the AOW course, is even worse. Doing so without good buddy procedure and not knowing how you will respond to getting narc.d is even worse still.

2.) Task loading is one of the big problem issues in diving to begin with. For a new diver, buoyancy, keeping on top of depth & PSI readouts and watching NDL readouts, keeping up with a buddy and observing the environment in a 3-D world (stuff can be above & below you, unlike on land) with reduced peripheral vision (mask + underwater zoom factor) & the loss of directional hearing and the ability to speak, in an alien environment dependent on gear that can fail, and breathing off even a good reg. is still not comparable to the respiration we engage in at the surface. Being a newbie, you got caught up trying to get your gear set up, so your familiarity with it was limited (no shame there; it took me quite awhile to catch up to snuff on mine). In addition to all that, you took a potentially dangerous weapon (a spear gun) down to engage in an activity that lends itself to focused attention (spear hunting) at depths putting you at risk of diminished mental ability due to narcosis, without adequate buddy supervision. And while the pony is a good idea, it also adds to gear complexity.

3.) Did you indicate this was in 15 foot viz.?

If I were going to devise a caricature dive for a 1st post-OW dive, I would almost surely not have come up with all that, and I'd be hard put to improve on it.

Oldenred, you're an adult, and you decide what you do. But please, for the sake of yourself and all the people who love you, get more training and experience before you do these kind of dives. I've got over 200 dives, and I'd have to think long and hard before I tried the dive you just did.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom