How Many Times Can You Refill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrkPranksta69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, just recently got certified in the past month and am starting to get a feel for gear and was wondering how many times can you refill a tank? I know it's a dumb question but trying to learn.

you can refill tanks unlimited times- but a scuba tank should be visually inspected yearly and every 5 years a tank must be fydrostat tested according to D.O.T.

Until you can't due to the tank not passing hydro, the compressor breaking, or some other catastrophe. Roughly 10,000 or so unless you do cave fills. Then it's like 9,995. Or if you get short fills about 12,000 times. I have some steel 72's from 1953 and 54. How many times do you think those were filled? And they used to be rental tanks in a busy shop.

Just got us 6 new steel tanks. Bigger upfront cost but a HP100 is almost the same size as an AL80, slightly heavier and much better buoyancy characteristics. No to mention they have 30% ( or more) air. Fills cost the same. Loading and unloading 6 tanks several times a day for 3 consecutive days is hard work though.
Diving the the Caribbean is so easy!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your tanks should last you many years with thousands of fills. But, do not allow them to corrode, pay attention to prevent water entering them. Get them visually inspected yearly (you can take a short course to learn how to inspect them yourself). Tank maintenance is a small world unto itself, have fun learning about them. A detailed website to look through: Home Page

Until it tells you ':censored: you, I'm done!' by blowing up the shop and fill monkey(s). That's pretty rare, though, so basically infinite.

Hey guys, just recently got certified in the past month and am starting to get a feel for gear and was wondering how many times can you refill a tank? I know it's a dumb question but trying to learn.

Our shop has a steel tank from before WW-II and it still passes hydro and VIP.

If you take care of it, a steel tank will last as long as you want it to. AL tanks don't seem to hold up as well, but that might just be because they're softer metal and don't handle abuse as well.

flots.

I'm still using steel tanks from the 60's and 70's. I did have to retire my 1st steel tank that was my only tank for many years and was the work horse so it had many, many fills (thousands). Most tanks dive longer than most people do.

My al80's are from the late 1990's. But we have some oxygen tanks at work that were made around 1907 and they still pass hydro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom