Potential new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the boards and contemplating getting certified. I have done a resort class and been on 2 different snuba excursions while on vacation. I really enjoy being underwater. I am debating just continuing to do resort courses vs. the cost of getting certified. I am also not thrilled with the idea of being in a large group class. I am in Charleston SC so I do not feel like I will dive on a regular basis just mainly on vacation. I am not real interested in diving in murky waters but really enjoy the blue water diving where we tend to go on vacation. We will be in Puerto Aventuras Mexico in October so that is why I am looking into this now. Thanks in advance for any comments.

I'd go ahead and get certified. And don't quickly dismiss your local diving. Of course it's tough to compare to the tropics, but there are probably lots of good dive sites for you to enjoy, see some things, hone your skills, etc all while you wait for that next great vacation.

If you know you like it, get certified! You will have a lot more freedom and flexibility once you are certified, even if you decide to never dive locally again. I would also think in the long run it would be cheaper than paying for the resort course over and over again, as you won't always need a DM with you.

Maybe someone here can give you a good local shop recommendation for OW certification. I highly recommend doing it ahead of your trip if possible, or at least doing the book/pool work and then doing a referral in Mexico.

We actually booked a Bonaire trip as snorkelers, read more and became certified before we left on vacation. Best decision ever!

I would like to find an independent instructor around the Charleston SC area but I have spent hours looking online without much luck. Maybe there are a few members from my are on here. We will see.

I got certified in Grand Cayman and had a blast. I wasn't overly excited about going back home to cold, dark, and low-visibility NE waters, but I have come to appreciate it a great deal. It's amazing what you can see and how pretty dives can be when you slow down and take it all in. As others have already said, getting your certification will open so many more doors and will pay for itself in the long run, even if you do not continue to dive locally.

I would like to find an independent instructor around the Charleston SC area but I have spent hours looking online without much luck. Maybe there are a few members from my are on here. We will see.

There are lots of scuba shops in that area--why do you feel it is important to find an independent instructor?

If you don't want a big class, talk to a dive shop about it. In our area, we frequently have small classes. If you want, you can pay a little more and get private instruction. It can really be worth it.

One reason to get certified rather than keep doing resort courses and snuba is that resort courses and snuba are very limiting as to where you can go. When certified, you can visit much more interesting places.

One thing you can do is contact a local shop or instructor and do the first two parts of the course there--the academic work and the pool sessions. They will then give you what is called a referral, which you can take with you to Puerto Aventuras. A dive shop there will accept the referral and complete your certification by doing the required checkout dives there.

I always advise to do the complete cert. course locally so you can go on vacation and just dive. Some good advice above. Shop around and see what suits you best.

I've only been on one, but I hear there are several good wreck dives off Myrtle Beach. The viz was decent on the dives I did (unlike at the shore).

I always advise to do the complete cert. course locally so you can go on vacation and just dive.

This is good advice. I struggled with no-mask breathing and the instructor and I opted for an extra day of instruction so that I had plenty of time to get comfortable. In hindsight, I think that this placed a great deal of stress on me simply because I knew we had a week of diving lined up. Had I not had the added pressure, I probably could have worked through it without as much trouble and had a lot more fun with it.

Go ahead and get open water certified, give local diving a try, learn, and dive regularly. The more you dive, locally or in exotic destinations the more you will enjoy it. Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom