New Equipment a Good Deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Alright, I got my Junior Open Water cert 20 years ago. It was a big deal for me at 12 years old. Unfortunately I was unable to continue diving after that due to financial reasons. I was on a Cruise last week in Cozumel and took the girlfriend on a beginners dive excursion. I was immediately reminded how great it is. I found a local dive shop that deals with SSI and they will trade in my Junior for the full C card after a scuba skills update. I am looking to take a few specialty courses from them as well. My question, while there the shop owner told me of a package deal since they are a ScubaPro Platinum Dealer. The package consisted of the MK25/S600 Reg with the Knighthawk BCD with Air2 Regulator already on it. The going price was $1400ish. Now the package deal part was if I bought those two together he would throw in a Subgear XP-3H computer for free. Also I would receive the free lifetime parts package from Scubapro. After tax it would be $1580 out the door. I tried pricing the components myself online and it seemed like a good deal. All 3 from scuba.com was $1800ish, and I had a hard time finding them anywhere else. I am the buy once cry once type. I realize that computer will work, but I think the display is kind of small and would probably replace it down the line. I have all the other basics still from 20 years ago mask, snorkel, boots and fins, and they still fit. Please throw me some advise. Also I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Thanks!

You could spend your life shopping for "the right gear". If you have a good relation with this shop and trust them, the package sounds like a good typical package. It is Scubapro, which is good gear. The MK25/S600 is an excellent req, the Knighthawk is a good BC (if you like back-mounted). The Air2 is a good product. You could probably gleen the internet for bottom prices, but as a relatively inexperienced diver, I think your first equipment package should be from someone you can see face-to-face and ask questions.

Mask/fins/snorkel: If these items are in good condition and fit well, then there is no reason to replace them. Except that materials and design have advanced a lot in the last 20 years. But in reality, they all still do the same things. So, if what you have is good and you want to save some money, then there is no reason to buy new.

Computer: As far as I'm concerned, a computer is a mandatory piece of equipment, now. Many resorts will not take divers without a computer any more. That said, I'm not particularly fond of the Subgear XP-3H Computer. But that's one man's opinion. If you like it, then no-problem. Check to see if this dealer handles other brands beside Scubapro/Subgear. There are other inexpensive computers that I think are easier to use.

Having sold Scubapro myself, I'm pretty sure the dealer is getting a deal from Scubapro where if they sell a high-end regulator and a high-end BC together, Scubapro gives them the Subgear computer "free". This is a very typical promotional package from Scubapro. (In case you haven't figured it out yet, Scubapro and Subgear are the same company.)

Bottom line. Scubapro is good stuff. If you like the package price and trust this dealer. Then I can't think of any reason why not to buy it.

Gear buying evokes a lot of "opinions" in the Scuba world. Divers of every kind will give you all sorts of "advice". New divers don't need all this confusion. Find a dealer you trust who sells well established, high quality brands and let them guide you.

Last edited:
Personally, I would avoid the Air2, but that is only my opinion, there are plenty of people that love the air2 (or similar devices such as the Atomic SS1). Secondly, if you think the display on the computer is going to be too small, then it will be.

There are deals to be had from lots of places, just look around and be patient. You might also check the classified ads here on Scubaboard for some deals on used equipment.

...it is a pretty good deal, but only if it is the stuff you want.

Last edited:
Personally, I would avoid the Air2, but that is only my opinion, there are plenty of people that love the air2. Secondly, if you think the display is going to be too small, then it will be.

There are deals to be had from lots of places, just look around and be patient. You might also check the classified ads here on Scubaboard for some deals on used equipment.

...it is a pretty good deal, but only if it is the stuff you want.

I'm kinda on the fence about the Air2, also. It's not the Air2 itself, but the concept. I personally have an Atomic Aquatics SS1, very similar item. But I also have a "Safe 2nd" (octopus) on my regulator, too. The traditional octopus-reg is my preferred safety device. As an instructor, I have both so I can teach both. If a student buys or commits to buy a specific package before the class is over, I like to be able to teach them to use the specific products they purchased.

The remark about the size of the display, I assume is a reference to the Subgear XP-3H. That is one of the reasons I don't like that particular computer. I find it very hard to read underwater.

What you need to ask yourself is "will this gear work for me down the road?" Nothing wrong with SP gear. It's good stuff. Way too expensive for my tastes and I don't like someone telling me when I need to have my regs serviced or I get kicked out of the free parts program. By the way they are not free, you are paying for them on the front end. I would not take the Mk25 because I live where we dive cold water and they don't have a good rep for that. The Mk17 is better for colder water. I have dived a Knighthawk and did not care for it. Too bulky and too busy. Too many unnecessary things and too much padding. Plus after using a properly fitted plate and wing it felt sloppy and unstable.

I only dive sealed regs. The ones I use I can also service myself when I decide they need done with no penalty. I do also sell them but the same holds for all my customers. They decide when they want their regs done and are under no set schedule to have that done. They pay for parts but it's every two years or so and the upfront cost for a complete reg set (1st stage, two seconds, and SPG) is around 500 bucks. The BPW anywhere from 375-425 and if something breaks or wears out you replace the component, not the whole BC.

I also do not like the sub gear computers. I'm a Shearwater fan as most who know me are aware but that may be more than you want to spend on a computer that you will never have to replace unless you lose it or run over it with a truck and a display that your buddies can read. It is 900 bucks. but add that to the above and you're only 200 over the other gear.

If you did want a cheaper computer an Oceanic Veo is around 200 bucks from Leisure Pro or a DG03 without transmitter for 260 or so. Going that way you're right around a grand for everything with the following benefits:

1. BPW is custom fit to you.
2. It fits the same every time and is inherently more stable
3. If the webbing wears out it's 15 bucks to replace it and you re use the hardware.
4. If the wing wears out you replace it for 100 -300 depending on new or used. BTW my wings are 3 and 4 years old. The old ones I used to have still are going and they are going on 8. I'd bet there are some on here with wings much older than that. The wings I sell have a ten year warranty against pinch flats. Get a hole in your Knighthawk and you have to replace the whole thing.
5. A steel plate never wears out.
6. No required annual inspection to keep the warranty valid
7. 375 -425 cost vs what 650 + now I think the Knighthawk is
On the regs I use (and yes sell)
1. Sealed diaphragm with identical performance second stages
2. Recommended rebuild of two years or when they need it
3. Recommended annual inspection but if they are not acting up and are well cared for, hey no need to mess with them
4. Down the road if you want you can learn to do them yourself
5. 500 for a complete set vs 729 (leisure pro price) for just a 1st and one second with a hose length that may not work for you
6. Choose your own hose lengths to suit you.

Are they also going to train you on the AIR 2 and have they told of it's shortcomings? There are some depending on the situation you find yourself in.

If you're not familiar with BPW's I have an article I'll send you at no cost and no obligation. Just need an email address.

It's good gear, but it's expensive gear. I don't mind spending what's necessary to get the quality I want, but you've already been given a couple of good examples of how to outfit yourself with quality equipment at a much lower price.

As you are just getting back into diving it is important to have a good relationship with your LDS, You will benefit from having a person you trust to talk about gear, diving and introduce you to dive buddies and sites in your area. All of this is worth something how much it up to you. My LDS is 3400 miles away from me part of necessity ( no local shop) and partly because they have great service and prices but I miss having a shop to go into touch and talk about the gear i am interested in. All of this to say, yes you can cut costs but at what cost and secondly why not say toss in a skills class with my gear purchase.

It's a good deal since you're getting the $475 list computer. fwiw, I've known Paul for about 3 decades and while he'll do anything he can to make a sale, giving you a $475 computer wouldn't be one of them.

Scubapro policies changed a few years ago so you now have to buy a package deal to get "free parts for life" - that doesn't include free service charges for life - certainly the expensive part. And it commits you to having to maintain Scubapro's required service schedule - miss it by even a little and no more free parts. Most regulators work on a similar schedule except Atomic Aquatics who offer a 2 year service interval - co-incidentally founded by 2 ex-Scubapro engineers. They probably weren't in existence when you were diving 20 years ago.

Everyone sells the MK25/S600 for $729. Leisurepro.com, Beaverdivers (another Platinum reseller who posts here) Scuba.com etc. It's the fixed price that they have to sell it for. Same with the Knighthawk with the Air II. - $740. The retail upgrade price on the Knighthawk AirII is $121 which is why they're $619 everywhere. If you find a cheaper price on anything new from Scubapro, chances are good it's not a licensed dealer so you'll have no way to register it for warranty service. I'm not sure if any exist anymore either - there are a few Aqualung holdouts still.

I might take the deal and re-sell the computer privately towards what you really want. SofAZ will most likely register it to you though - one of the "services" they likely "have" to provide. So you won't be able to offer the warranty to the buyer.

fwiw, the other SSI shop in town is El Mar in Mesa. My preferred shop and I live in Glendale. They are not a ScubaPro dealer. El Mar Diving Center, Your Arizona Scuba Diving Center Worth a drive over b4 you commit to anything. The anti-thesis of SofAz as far as sales tactics and pressure. Since SofAZ is a ScubaPro Platinum Reseller, that's all you'll find there except for gear SP doesn't manufacture. It gives them a certain bias...

Not that you've made bad choices, I almost made the exact same choices (no AirII...) - At different times I've gone to buy a MK25/S600 and a Knighthawk. But wound up with Atomic regs. and a Zeagle Ranger. At his last shop - since closed and re-opened as Academy of Scuba on I-17 - Paul was my Zeagle dealer.

This forum is mostly about Phoenix area activity - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/southwestern-region/ - I maintain an LDS list in one of the first threads. Also there's http://arizonascuba.com/forum.php - it's kind of hit/miss - sometimes there's a lot of activity, other times weeks between posts. At times an open Thursday night dive is listed but you won't see me there - I like to see when I dive...:D

Last edited:
I am very happy with my mk25/s600 on a GlideX with Air 2 I opted for the Luna computer nice big screen and easy to read and use digital compass.
It was explained to me Scubapro fixs the prices everywhere but if you go into a certified dealer they are allowed to tweek the price alittle that actualy made my gear cheaper price than online. Parts for life was based on a dollar amount spent at 1 purchase. as for service interval shouldn't you have your gear chkd pre season anyway afterall its life support. If you have a good dealer the inspections won't be that bad in price. Yes the gear was upper middle end priced but I figured I only want to buy this stuff once. If you don't like the size of the screen it will be cheaper to buy a little more exp now than replace it full price plus later. Nothing is free!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom