Underwater Explorers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhatD1ver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A recent reply to another one of my posts kind got me on my soapbox.

I've always been an explorer of sorts, as I kid I love to go to the hills near our home and go thru the old ghost town up the canyong, I like to go thru the old grist mill, and thru the old abandoned pioneer homes spaced here and there on the hills. There was an old mine we used to go into with flashlights, an ice cave up the canyon. In California, we even explored the flood water sewage drain system. I was usually somewhere, looking at something.

And I noted before, I'm a former Army aviator. The distinction between low flying helicopters and the 'fast movers' and what can be seen in each of those flight modes is very, very different.

And I wasn't just any kind of Army aviator, I was a scout pilot, my primary role was reconnaissance (some guys go off to gunships and shoot things and blow them up, yeah, that's fun too) But I have to say that I liked being a recon guy, we didn't have an armed aircraft, so we either went our in pairs, or sometimes 'Dad' would send along an Apache just to be sure the bad guys got theirs if they started shooting at us. Most of our work happened at night, under night vision goggles, at 5-10 feet above the ground or nearest vertical obstacle. For the wreck and cave divers, this is the aviation version of your world. It doesn't get any more exciting.

My maps were 1:50,000 meaning 1cm on the map was the same as 500m, and one grid then being 2500sqm or just about 1/2 US acre.... but you'd be mistaken to think that as aviators, we don't pay great attention to the detail within a single grid, in fact since most missions are directly related to finding out what is in that grid before sending in troopies or larger aircraft, that's one of the tasks for the scout aircraft to record and even provide a detailed map analysis of the actual and current topography. Or, we stand off and use optics to do the same thing, it depends on the mission.

So, I think I'm a pretty good explorer, and one of the things that I continue to hear is that as scuba divers, we are underwater explorers. I think that might be true for a small number of divers, but I think most are just 'casual observerers'.

I previously posted a question about why in the dives I've done so far, and with so many operators, dive masters, instructors who cover in multiple many of the best sites in the world, isn't there better mapping? And why isn't it used in dive briefings?

And, I just have to wonder that the purpose and usefulness of a divemaster candidate preparing a detailed dive site map if we can't get any usefulness out of it for the diving public. The best explorers used maps, inaccurate as they might have been in the early days. But the TRUE explorers of history (Lewis & Clark come to mind) took those maps and during their excursions, created BETTER maps for those who followed, more detailed, more accurate, and making further exploration even more purposeful.

We are trained to dive with a purpose. What greater purpose could there be than to create useful maps of the place we visit, to gather during our surface interval and see if we can't combine the knowledge we've gained, perhaps indicate where we saw something special. Why can't this be kept and passed along to other divers.. (I know I'd pay $5 for a dive site map with any level of detail when I visit somewhere I've never been, in fact, it might help attract me back to the same site)..

And then, there's the safety part of this idea of exploring. Sorry, if there is a hole in the diving/scuba world, it is that we are explorers leave far to much to chance, and then want to talk about safe diving practices. There is no better way to make diving safer than to have a repository of drawings, dive site surveys that divers can access as they PLAN their dives. Being able to get some basic understanding of where you are going, what you will see, the types of visual references you will find makes a dive easier to manage.

Jumping in and looking around is not exploring if nothing comes of it, explorers produce results. To some, that may be pictures, to others a map, and to some it might be gold bullion... in any case, I think there's an argument for simple mapping work, even if it's with a crayon and dinner placemat.

I don't have much to add but I like the idea.

I took an underwater archaeology course and enjoyed the aspect of mapping a wreck. I hope to have some opportunities in the future to do some things like that.

I have had had the opportunity to shoot video on a newly found wreck. It was a simple wreck but it was exciting all the same.

I have a reasonable collection of maps (TPC) covering the Middle East that I have used for many of my off road trips in this area as well as maps covering Namibia for the same purpose. Not all are up to date by any means but provided a good base for planning trips etc. The advent of Google Earth has also been a bonus and was a great help when we did a special trip to N19 00.000 E52 00.000

Now all fine and well using satellites to make maps these days and previously aerial surveys and boots on the ground taking measurements and making drawings, while we are breathing through our noses.

The problem with making underwater maps is that we need to make many dives to start with just to look at the topography and draw the dive site maps. Our time underwater to do this has limitations.

Of course we can bring in the expensive toys like side scan sonar etc., but I am not sure there are any dive operators who can afford to, or are willing to invest in something like that only to have the results posted on the internet for everyone else to view for free. Not much return in investment, unless other dive ops cooperate and share the costs.

I do like the idea though

Each of us finds a purpose in diving that keeps us motivated. Perhaps mapping your local dive sites is yours? Mapping, with any degree of accuracy, is a very painstaking procedure, and even mapping a simple site can require several people and quite a number of dives. Take a look at the report on BAUE's mapping project of Middle Reef at Point Lobos in Monterey: BAUE Middle Reef Project

Over the years, many of our local sites in Seattle have been mapped by DM candidates. PNWscuba.com has collected a fair number of them. That might be an option for your local sites, as well.

I have a reasonable collection of maps (TPC) covering the Middle East that I have used for many of my off road trips in this area as well as maps covering Namibia for the same purpose. Not all are up to date by any means but provided a good base for planning trips etc. The advent of Google Earth has also been a bonus and was a great help when we did a special trip to N19 00.000 E52 00.000

Now all fine and well using satellites to make maps these days and previously aerial surveys and boots on the ground taking measurements and making drawings, while we are breathing through our noses.

The problem with making underwater maps is that we need to make many dives to start with just to look at the topography and draw the dive site maps. Our time underwater to do this has limitations.

Of course we can bring in the expensive toys like side scan sonar etc., but I am not sure there are any dive operators who can afford to, or are willing to invest in something like that only to have the results posted on the internet for everyone else to view for free. Not much return in investment, unless other dive ops cooperate and share the costs.

I do like the idea though

I guess we might be visualizing two things... In my mind the way you start out is with a general drawing... something like a child might make up showing any prominent features... for instance, when I assisted my dive buddy, who was doing his final DM checkout and site map, we basically took a 50m radius around a sunken helicopter wreck. We drew a simple map with the shore, the distance and azimuth from the LDS walk-in point, we noted piles of tires in two points, a skiff that was just off the nose of the wreck, an jeep jippney that had been dumped and was almost unrecognizable about 10 meters in front of it.. we noted the animal life living on the wreck ( a whole lionfish family) and depth at the wreck, and at each of the other features, and then the basic depth/slope change from shore to the wreck (since for a shore dive, it's an advanced dive to go to this wreck at 32.4 meters).. oh, and we noted the 3 boat mooring points and their azimuth to the wreck and distance.

Now, if that map (which my DM dive buddy being an engineer might have gone overboard) were available to capable divers visiting that shop, or even dropping in off a banca, maybe some would like a map, maybe others would just want the direction and depth... but the point is, IT'S THERE and it might not have true grid topography, but it assists in finding the 'fun stuff'

That is quite detailed DukeAMO, I like it.

There are a few dive books I own that have similar sketches but they are primarily based on wrecks.

The difficulty of preparing detailed drawings can be hampered somewhat if visibility is very poor.

Like this? The maps are great when they're available. They just take a lot of effort to create. It takes motivated people like yourself to make it happen. :)
Fantasy Lake Scuba Park - close up quarry map

Exactly, that's awesome!! my point is that in any local area, there must be a club or something that could take on something a little more meaningfull than just having a weinie roast and a dive... have a 'historian' and make a dive count with teams of divers assigned certain areas, and then bringing their info back that is updated and the final drawing done up like this and then sold to LDS for a paltry sum.

I think this is a fantastic idea, and perhaps ScubaBoard could help... I imagine that there could be a section on ScubaBoard (perhaps one exists already), where I could easily find the status of the mapping/exploration effort for a site I am considering to dive in the form of a free ongoing discussion that does not need to be owned or coordinated by anyone in particular. There would be a few hand-drawn maps some folks have already posted, even if crude. Some accompanying comments, ideas what's missing or could be explored next, an evolving "TODO" list of sorts. I would take a peek, perhaps incorporate some of the ideas into my dive plan to make it more interesting. After the dive, I might even contribute some small tidbit of knowledge of my own from the dive that I just made, and I could post ideas for the next person. Or at least some pictures from the site, to help document it. Every once in a while, someone would inevitably try to make sense of the entire thread, even just for their own benefit, and maybe post back a revised hand-drawn map that incorporates the recent findings. ScubaBoard would make it really easy for us to organize all this content with a dedicated thread for every dive site, perhaps nested within the regional forums...

You could also make it a weekend project for a dive club. The Fantasy Lake map is, I believe, the result of many DM candidates doing their mapping exercise there and someone consolidating the information into a nice map and posting it. You can't map the entire lake in one dive; most DM candidates just map one section.

Back
Top Bottom