New Diver--Continuing Ed Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jen19fish

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new OW diver with only about 6 post cert. diver under my belt. I'm hooked! I decided that one way I want to stay in practice between dive vacations is to do some continuing ed. classes. I am more interested in going out to the lake with an instructor, focusing on one specialty as opposed to the AOW where it's all in one weekend and only one of each dive specialty. After reading on the focus as well as PADI, I'm not sure this is an option though. Could someone help me out on this? My long term goal would be to get specialties in:
Deep Diver (but looks like AOW is a pre-req.)
Navigation
PPB (already have this)
and 2 others.

Thanks for the help!

Here is my honest opinion on what you should do. You've got, if I read correctly, ten total dives. The next class you should take is rescue. Look at other agencies that do not require AOW for it. SEI does not. You have the pre requisites covered now. All you need is a current CPR/First Aid class. O2 provider is covered in the course. A rescue class will raise your situational awareness and planning skills plus give you a more honest look at the risks of diving. It will give you a better appreciation for the buddy system.

Do you have a regular buddy now?

If you do the only thing I would recommend prior to Rescue (if you were my students) is Underwater Navigation.

I'm an SEI,SDI, and TDI instructor so can switch between curriculums to meet the students needs and interests.

A good UW Nav course will focus on teamwork, communication, buoyancy and trim, communication, buddy skills, planning, and assessing conditions. It will also emphasize developing your skills with a compass, natural navigation, and use of lines and reels. Did I also say a good one will put heavy emphasis on communication?

A bad one will be by the book and waste of money. Most of the by the book ones suck. It's why I wrote my own.

Following that I'd say take the rescue class with your buddy.

After that don't dismiss Advanced. Or I should say a good advanced course that is not a rehash of OW skills. Shoot me a PM with your email I'll send you the outline for my Advanced (AOW) class to get a idea of what I think should be in an advanced class. If you've taken my UW Nav course and been working on your skills I'd just throw the outline for that dive into overdrive and test your UW Nav skills.

Then we could switch to SDI and do your deep class.

I agree with Rescue. Just make sure you are comfortable with all the basics (equipment, buoyancy, finning,etc.) first. I may suggest getting about 20 dives in first, but it varies with each person of course. For
PADI Rescue you need CPR and 3 "Adventure Dives" (which is 3/5 of AOW). One could be the NAV dive, then maybe finish that specialty (or of course with another agency). After a while you could go for the Deep course. This comes in handy on charters, and if you want to eventually go the DM route. But no rush on this stuff other than to do Rescue as soon as you feel ready.

Here's my 2 PSI on the process...if I were in your situation :)

Assuming you have a good instructor who you work well with, I'd do a great navigation course first. Navigation will help you more than most other specialties.

Do your Nitrox cert.

Figure out 2 other certs you really want for your personal training. You already have done PPB, so maybe night/reduced visibility and multilevel diver.

Next go for Rescue diver.

When you want your AOW, you can use to AOW deep dive towards your deep dive specialty.

Dive as much as you can/want to while you're learning...and have fun!!

Jen19fish, continuing education can be quite valuable, if it is well taught. My advice would be to PM Cyprian here on this board, and a) try to arrange a dive or two with him, and b) get some advice as to instructors and classes which are worthwhile in your area.

I'm not disagreeing with what the others posted, but I do think that taking a specialty class every couple of weekends sounds like fun. For example, in the PADI system you could get AOW by taking 5 full specialties, even if it's not all in one weekend, as long as Navigation and Deep are two of them. You would have to do Deep last because AOW is a prereq for the Deep specialty, but the first dive of Deep would give you the AOW cert, and then you could finish Deep on the same weekend.

I have seen people get Rescue before AOW, even in the PADI system. They just got Adventure Diver (3 dives from different specialties) first. Since you have PPB already, you could do Navigation and one more "adventure" dive from the list in a single weekend, and meet the prereqs for Rescue. Search and Recovery would be a good one to look at, because it builds up skills you would use in Rescue.

Classes are great and you'll learn a lot from a good instructor but you also need to get out and dive outside of classes. You'll teach yourself to more about buoyancy, weighting, trim and SAC than you'll learn in a class. Find a buddy and go out to the mud holes around Dallas and learn. If you can't find a buddy let me know, I need to dive more anyway.

Jen19fish, continuing education can be quite valuable, if it is well taught. My advice would be to PM Cyprian here on this board, and a) try to arrange a dive or two with him, and b) get some advice as to instructors and classes which are worthwhile in your area.

Thanks for the help... Who is Cyprian?... someone local to the DFW area?

the most valuable thing you can get is bottom time. Take the classes, but realize that there may be dives that are just intrinsically interesting in your area. bottle collecting, fossil hunting or whatever (then again, a mud hole may be a mud hole, I've never been to Texas. I am not even sure they have surface water there).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom