Regulator and BCD Post-Dive Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Another question for the forums!

Do you dunk your first stage in a tank and leave for a while with the dust cap on? I'm unsure if my dust cap is water-tight and was hesitant given concern about getting water in the first stage. Have to check if it has an o-ring (not home at the moment). After my first dive I simply dunked the second stages keeping the first stages out and washed them around. Hope this is enough - they've been used once.

How will I know if my first stage has been compromised for the next dive? I.E. if something did get in there.

I dunked the entire BCD in a tank for 5-10 minutes. Inflated partially and put water- swashed it around a few and then dumped water. Did this 2 times. However, I don't think I left the BCD's in water for more than 20 minutes. Should I be concerned about salt crystals?

Thanks all! I've seen a couple of vids on youtube and of course read countless websites on post-dive maintenance/washing, but still some of these random questions remain.

DPS

---------- Post added September 8th, 2014 at 11:23 AM ----------

anyone?

Whenever possible I keep my regs connected to a tank under pressure and use a hose to rinse then purge the second stages whilst hosing inside of the mouthpiece then leave to dry.

BCD, rinse externally in a tank or hose down, then fill with water via the LP inflator mouthpiece, slosh around and then dump the water via all of the dump valves. If not using for some time or going into storage I put some Listerine inside and leave it there in order to avoid any nasties growing inside, not sure if it real works but it smells good when you use it again.

If I ever had to use a rental regulator I would also clean the mouthpiece first with something like Listerine, you never know where these things have been …. are you aware of how many bacteria are in somebody's mouth?

Sounds good. thanks. Any idea of what to look for if the regulator has been compromised? ie. water inside or not good to use?

fresh water inside usually won't hurt anything, but it's best to have a tank at home that you can pressurize everything during cleaning. What needs to remember is that soaking won't really get a lot of salt residue off, it really has to be sprayed to blow it off.

BC tools like https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1301
go onto the inflator QD and will power wash the inside of the valve which is one of the largest problem children for salt deposits. Regulators need to ideally be pressurized and run under a shower head or the tub spigot to actually wash the salt away. Soak them for 10-15 minutes if they have already been dried to loosen everything, then run under running water to wash it away. If finding a small tank isn't possible for whatever reason, then go ahead and grab one of the BC/Reg hangers which do a good job of sealing the regulators prior to rinsing.
If you feel like the regulator has gotten some water inside of it, the best course of action is to remove all of the hoses and pressurize to blow the water out, if that isn't an option, then hold the purge button on one of the second stages while pressurizing and it should blow most of the water out.

Freshwater I don't do anything unless it got covered in dirt in which case it's just a quick rinse and hang dry.

After an extended trip I first rinse everything with a hose. Then I let all sit in a fresh water bath for at least 12 hours to leech out more salt, including my 1st stage with dust cap on. I have done this for 17 years with no problems to the 1st stage.
DivemasterDennis

Another tip I was taught for rinsing the BCD: after adding some water to the inside of the BCD, orally inflate it. Swish the water around. Position a dump valve at the lowest point, and pull to let the water out. With the added air pressure, the water will gush out, helping to rinse the valve. Repeat for each dump valve. By the time you do this for each of the dump valves, you've rinsed the inside pretty well.

For my regulators and 2nd stages, I usually dry the intake of the regulator and the dust cap with a towel right after diving, then put the dust cap on. Back on shore, I'll rinse everything well under running water or in a tub, with the regulator held above the 2nd stages, and the dust cap still on. Then I'll hang everything up in a dry (air-conditioned or heated) room, with the regulator at the top and the dust cap off, until it's completely dry. Finally, I put the dust cap back on and pack it away. Works for me. DH never takes his dust cap off when he's not diving, and his regulator/2nd stages are also fine.

the key with the above dump valve trick is not to actually pull the dump valve open. The key is to very carefully crack it just enough to leave pressure inside the BC but let the water out. If you pull the dump all the way open and air rushes out you will never get all of the water out. Just an fyi.

I live in an apartment building, so I haven't got a garage or garden to work in, so my cleanup is all indoor.

First of all, I pray for rain on the boat ride from the dive site to the dock. If I don't luck out and have to actually clean my gear:

I put the dust cap on the first stage - watertight. The DIN valve on my main regulator has a screw on cap. The Yoke valve on my pony regulator has a rubber stopper kind of thing that you screw into place with the yoke screw on cap.

I soak them both in the sink for about 10-15 minutes, with a constant stream of clean water coming flowing in from the tap to help wash away the salt.

My BC - I throw the wings/backplate in the shower and spray all the metal parts to remove salt. I also spray into the inflator hose and the dump valve exterior. Then I hang it to dry.

If you have a wing then another trick is to totally undo the dump valve which will allow all the water to drain. I then leave the dump valve off for a few days to a couple of weeks to allow the inside of the wing to totally dry and then I lube the valve and screw it back on. Allows me not only to clean the BC well but gives me a chance to lube the valve and examine the spring for rust.

NEVER EVER dunk the reg in water if it is not pressurized. the dust cap of the 1st stage is a DUST cap... and the pressure of 1 inch of water is enough to press the purge of the 2nd stage and let water in.
maye you can shower it but under no consideration you should immerge it in water.

Back
Top Bottom