How many times a year you are going to scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peter11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How many times a year you are going to scuba diving? How much money you spend there and for what exactly?

We dive every week or every other week, costs: some gasoline to get to the shore (40 km). Air is free for us. Once every two months we go wit the club boat, Costs €10-15 for fuel and lunch. Also we do two liveaboards per year (almost every year that is), Egypt or Asia costs ranging from €1200 to €2200 including air fare.
Furthermore there are some maintenance costs and we buy stuff we think we need, but there is so much equipment here, we could start a shop. It seems to accumulate over the years. Some stuff was bought on E-Bay/Craigslist and the like, some is bought new.
Why do you want to know, what kind of info are you looking for?

nearly every weekend and sometimes midweek. i might even go on a trip

Every weekend, and 4-5 road trips involving ferries, borders, hotels, restaurants, charter fees and fills. Try to get 2 mid week night dives per month.

I average 225-250 dives per year ... mostly in the local environs of Puget Sound. I'm fortunate to live just a few minutes from a pretty nice dive site ... with about a dozen more within 30 minutes or less, and some really nice ones within easy day trip distances.

How much I spend depends on whether or not I have a big trip scheduled. At home I spend anywhere from $100 to $500 per month on my scuba habit, depending on whether or not I need to get equipment serviced that month. I own 11 regulators and about two dozen tanks and all of it needs to be serviced annually. I spend roughly $2000 on a drysuit about every third or fourth year.

Trips can be expensive. I'm leaving next Sunday for the Red Sea (assuming the threatened strike by Lufthansa pilots doesn't happen) ... that trip will run me about $5000 for airfare, 10 days on a liveaboard, and incidentals. I typically take one comparable trip a year, plus a smaller trip ... like a week in Mexico or up on Vancouver Island ... that will run me about half that much.

When I signed up for my OW class, I never saw all of that coming. I told my OW instructor the first day of class that I would probably be doing 20 or 25 dives a year. Turns out that's about what I do in a good month. So you never know. Addictions are like that ... they sneak up on you, take over your life, and you spend pretty much all of your budget feeding them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow. You all dive a *lot*.

I don't. I get by on a "bare maintenance" dose of maybe ten or so dives a year, trying not to be dry for over 5 or 6 months.

People often post about where the best place to live as a diver is . . . I think, in the US, Seattle probably has it hands-down. As long as you are willing to do the work of diving in cold water (thick exposure protection and lots of lead), you live where water conditions are favorable for diving about any day that you would be willing to set foot outside of your house. And although we have some great charter boats, you don't have to go out on a boat at all, because some of our very BEST sites are shore dives.

Until this year, I've averaged 100 to 150 dives a year, most of them at home, with a couple of dive trips each year. This year, I'm falling down on the total number of at-home dives (in part because I bought myself six weeks or more out of the water with a broken hand) but I'm doing more trips. Trips range from fairly inexpensive (we figure about $2500 for the two of us, for a week of cave diving in MX) to pretty painful (about twice that per person for the trip to dive with the manta rays in the Socorros.)

Between 30 and 50 dives per year - mostly on the weekends. Mostly shore dives - only a few boat dives mixed in. I have 4 tanks - 2 for me and 2 for my son. Air is free. So the cost to drive down and snacks on the way back - boat dives are different but about $100 for a 2 tank dive and then tip. I dive in NJ mostly and MA when I visit family. When we can - we do a two tank dive unless the tides or conditions are not favorable. Mainly we dive late April to Oct/Nov depending on weather - wet suits. I think those that dive dry have a leg up or get more dives in - but I can't part with the money right now.

70-75 per year, including 2-3 courses I DM. Most of the time once a week a 2 dive day--shallow shore dives close to home (not very costly). Same in Gulf of Mexico Jan.-March, where I usually patronize one charter ($100 area plus tip for DM, etc.). Same in NYC area 7 weeks in summer. Earl April to about May 10 at home (NS)--no dives. At home, 1 day in Nov. & 1 in Dec. (wet). My wife says I have a lot of "routines".....)

When we started diving (20+ years ago) we usually did a couple local dives every other weekend spring-fall. Then we started traveling to warm water places and soon gave up local diving. At first trips were a few days or a week about once a year. Now we try for around 4 weeks a year diving warm places, schedule permitting. The schedule is NOT cooperating this year. :(

We prefer trips longer than a week at a time, otherwise it seems like we've barely gotten there when it's time to dry out and go home. How many dives we get in and how much it all costs varies a lot depending where we go - as TSandM said, from fairly inexpensive to painful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom