Where/how should I tether my console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdhenry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a console with a SPG, dive computer and compass. I've attached a short lanyard (about 4 or 5 inches long) near the base of the console with a spring clip on the free end. Normally I attach the clip to the D-ring on my right BCD shoulder strap and this positions the console within easy reach and good visibility. It has occurred to me that in this setup the clip is one more left-to-right closure of my BCD in addition to the cummerbund, cummerbund clip and chest clip that I'd have to undo (calmly) if I ever need to remove my BCD underwater.

Last night I tried clipping the lanyard to my left shoulder strap and this didn't work out as well in terms of being able to locate and position the console.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? I see people with retractors but IIRC they're still attached to the right side of their BCD.

I would not recommend going across your body to clip it off on the right side.

With the gear as described, I would get a retractor and hook it to a d ring on the lower left side of your BCD. Not knowing what BCD you have, I do not know what is available though.

You will want easy access to it and you will need to be able to not only read the SPG and Computer, but you will need to be able to pull it out enough to have the luber line on the compass going down the center of your body.

My BCD has a couple of straps in addition to the cummerbund. The top strap has about 4 inches of extra length past the clip. This extra length ends in a ring for easy pulling. I attached a brass clip to my console and hook that to the ring on that extra 4 inches. Keeps the console in out of the way. Is easy to read when I need. There is just enough play that I can also get the compass squarely in front of me for navigation.

On deeper dives I sling an AL 19 pony on the left from the BDC D rings. When I do that i route the console hose to the outside of the pony. It is out of the way if I want to use the pony but for reading the console is still in the same place.

One thing to TRY on a future dive (don't change what you're used to on my sake) are wrist mounts for your computer and compass, and clip your SPG to your left hip. I'm not a "tactical tech diver dude" but I do prefer less danglies. Merely a suggestion...

^^^ I agree.

Think about getting those out of the console.

Single SPG clipped off on left hip. Compass on left wrist, computer on the right.

Is there a hole on the end of the console? Try one of these clipped off to a lower left side d-ring - if you have them.
Retractors

I personally use this one:

Retractor

cetacea.JPG

I use a retractor, I think they work well in this situation. Mine is hooked to a ring high on my left. I find it quite easy to access, and the higher it's clipped the smaller the hose loop. I don't think it's a great idea to clip it on the right, one more thing to take care when gearing up or taking the BC off. OTOH my husband does exactly that with a retractor - he's got it positioned to give a convenient view like a little dashboard, freeing up both hands for his big a** camera. Makes me cringe, but it works for him.

I would not recommend going across your body to clip it off on the right side.

With the gear as described, I would get a retractor and hook it to a d ring on the lower left side of your BCD. Not knowing what BCD you have, I do not know what is available though.

You will want easy access to it and you will need to be able to not only read the SPG and Computer, but you will need to be able to pull it out enough to have the luber line on the compass going down the center of your body.

Good idea. It's not the popular idea, but I do clip mine across to the right side like the OP, as it seems to be in perfect position to use the compass. Not worried about one more clip across to undue--it's an easy one. I imagine there are quite a few ways to do this depending on one's BCD. There has been another recent thread somewhere on this question I believe.

Both Debbie and I use a retractor. They are available at most dive shops, and you will want to get a "heavy duty" one as some lack the "pull to keep the gauges snug until you need to look at them. The retractor allows easy access and positioning if doing compass work, and removal and eliminating of dangling when not in use. I love mine.
DivemasterDennis

On my BC, the front "belt" (not the cummerbund, the other one) once clicked and pulled tight, has a longish tail, and I put half of a click-on there, and the other half on my gauges. So when clicked on, they hang low on my left side, but with enough slack to allow them up near my mask if needed, but not quite so much slack that they they would be "danglies" which might drag a reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom