What to expect when equalising?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfroBoy

Registered
Reaction score
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks,

I'm OW certified and have done 9 dives in total so still quite fresh. The last couple dives I've had some trouble equalising. I did the usual come up a metre and try to equalise again. This has worked for me except for my most recent dive which I had to stay at around 5 - 6m.

I'm wondering what correct equalisation feels/sounds like. Do you expect your hearing to open up completely the same as what happens on a plane when you yawn? Or are you just looking to stop the discomfort of the pressure?

When I try to equalise, I hear a squeaking/bubbling noise in my ears and if all goes well, any discomfort quickly goes. Very rarely though have I felt my ears "open up" completely. They always feel a little blocked.

I know this is a tough this to explain in words, but hoping some people out there might be able to compare sensations.

Thanks,
Af.

If you feel discomfort, or hear squeaking sounds, you are waiting way too long to equalize... for me, this is the same sound as when I swallow.

You want to equalize the pressure to relieve you of the discomfort and generally hear a slight popping noise. I have had it happen many times where my hearing still seems a bit muffled but did not have any discomfort. I have been told by a few students they heard a squeaking noise when they equalize but after did not feel any discomfort either. Also generally the first few meters can be more difficult to equalize, and you just have to take your time and let your instructor/ guide know you take a while to equalize and of course wiggle your jaw swallow ect, I have seen a few divers stick their finger in their ears wiggling them and told me it helps them, I have tried that but has yet to work for myself.

You hear a smal "hiss" on both sides, that's it.

Slight pop, squeaks, clicks, it varies.

you might try a slower descent. If it feels like they aren't fully unblocked it could be partially due to the speed of descent since as soon as you unblock them they'll block again. On the flip side, if you're stationary at a certain depth maybe try a gentler unblock so you aren't overdoing it. There's quite a lot of threads on here regarding equalizing as it's quite a common thing to have issues with it especially as a new diver.

If you feel discomfort, or hear squeaking sounds, you are waiting way too long to equalize...

I have to disagree with this. I hear the squeaking from the very first time I equalize while starting my initial decent. If I don't hear the squeaking, I start to feel it a few feet down.

On another note, I do find that sometimes if I'm having trouble equalizing normally, i can swallow instead, that seems to help.

It is okay, as long as you have no ongoing sinus infection, to practice "popping" your ears several times each day. Especially in the few weeks leading up to a trip or expected dive. You will find it gets easier.

N

When I first started diving I had to descend VERY slowly, equalizing every foot or so. Some dives were harder than others. Of course, having even slightly stuffed-up sinuses makes it harder. Take it easy and don't force it too hard.

And make sure, you haven't swallowed some water shortly before equalizing.

My girl did that the other day and ended up with a bruised eardrum and water in her middle ear. She had trouble with her water-nose-reflex after taking her mask of during training, choked some water and then equalized after putting the mask back on and blowing the water out.

The result was painful and subsequently she had to use nasal spray for a week to make sure all the water can flow freely out of her middle ear through the auditory tube.

Cheers,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom