Importance of compass on the console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trsills

Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking at various entry level kits and low end computers. The one thing I've noticed is that a lot of the consoles don't have a compass. How important is to have one on the console...or even having one at all?

I see in some cases the computers have digital compasses, but I have to say I'm not fond of digital ones as they seem to lose calibration periodically.

Ha! You will get lots of opinions on this.

I cannot clearly see a compass on my wrist. Without progressives, the compass is too damn close to see.

Having a compass with my SPG, works out perfect for me. It's the right distance away when using it. I already have the SPG, so it's convenient and does not "add" anything else. A compass on a retractor will work just as well for me, but then it becomes one more thing to clip off to me. I don't need the extra stuff.

As to needing a compass? Couldn't imagine getting in the water where I dive without one.

Last edited:
The problem I had with the computer on my particular console (Cressi Mini 3) is that it is very sensitive to being level. If it gets just a little off, it tends to bind, and I think I'm swimming the right direction and I'm off course. I'm thinking of mounting a better one on the HP hose itself.

Diving without a compass is virtually inconceivable to me. If you are relying on a leader you should be prepared to make it back alone if separate. So yes, you need 1.

I like mine on a 3 bay inline console. The console forms a great inline reference. Any compass needs to be held level to float freely and read correctly. Get the console with a longer than standard hose. I think this replaces the standard 36 inch with a 42 inch. the extra length will greatly enhance the range of holding it in an easy to read position. I use a 6 inch bungee and bolt snap on the left shoulder D ring.

Pete

A compass is basic gear and should be brought on all dives. How you wear it is a matter of personal preference.

I tried mine on my wrist but didnt like it, so it's the only thing I have on a small retractor I keep clipped to my left hip D ring. I find consoles in general to be too bulky so I never use them.

Ha! You will get lots of opinions on this.

I cannot clearly see a compass on on my wrist. Without progressives, the compass is too damn close to see.

Having a compass with my SPG, works out perfect for me. It's the right distance away when using it. I already have the SPG, so it's convenient and does not "add" anything else. A compass on a retractor will work just as well for me, but then it becomes one more thing to clip off to me. I don't need the extra stuff.

As to needing a compass? Couldn't imagine getting in the water were I dive without one.

I have the same setup. It's worked for 9 years and I'm used to it. Diving without a compass makes no sense.

A lot of people don't bother with much navigation, if they are following a guide. This works fine, until the time when you stop to take a photograph, and look up, and the group is GONE -- which happened to us in the South Pacific. Luckily, we had noted the depth gradient and the direction of the dive, so we were able to move in the same direction as the group, and eventually reunite with them.

I like a compass on my wrist, because it's right where I can see it. But it can be easier to orient one for precise navigation, if you have it where you can get it directly up in front of your face.

Whether on your console or on your wrist, you should have a compass and know how to use it.

For me it depends. Independent diving with a buddy or not, from shore or boat, I have my compass on my left wrist, computer on the right wrist, SPG clipped to left D-ring. When group vacation diving with a guide I usually leave the compass in my bag.

If you do not have a compass, you will not be able to do much useful and reliable navigation. Make sure you pick the right person (or path) to follow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom