Is there a hand signal for "wait a moment" or something similar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bladerunner6

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a hand signal to ask someone to wait for a second or pause or something similar?

Thanks.

My signal is the same as if I was on the surface and told some one to wait a second and was using my hands while talking.

I use "slow down" or "stop" followed by "OK" or "that direction" when I'm ready to move on.

Around here, you won't see the fist signal for "hold", at least not among rec divers. That's because most of us use three-finger gloves most of the year, so it's hard to give the conventional "five" signal. We use the fist for "five".

"Slow down" signal (patting hands palms down on an invisible table) followed by index finger pointing up. I think most US english speakers can translate that as "hold on 1 moment"

Sometime I'll use a flat palm held in front of my buddies face and pump it a few times. Depends on the crew I'm diving with.
You'll learn that you have to adapt to different teams, everyone has their own dialect and interpretation of the scuba charades.

Why not use the same signal your instructor used as a wait signal? Put your arm out, bend wrist so hand is straight up, and your palm facing your dive buddies. Same signal traffic cop makes when he wants a row of cars to stop and wait. Same palm of a hand you often see at a strret corner and the signal is telling you to wait. A hand straight up, palm to the pedestrians.

Now, if you want them to wait here, while you check something out . . .:) arm out, palm up, then point at them and then point down with one finger then give them the wait palm again. Maybe double palms.

I would use this for "wait a little bit" pumping it 331561-una-mano-femminile-dell-adulto-che-trasporta-il-messaggio-di-qualche-cosa-di-piccolo-l-im.jpg

But this is the main one, again, pumping it.
stop-hand-gesture-22370869.jpg

play Indian for a while & put up the stop sign ---after you've given the slow down sign.......

I've always seen and used a closed fist for stop or hold up.

See, I've always used that for "I have an uncomfortable man-related squeeze".
But then again, that also translates into "please give me a moment". So yeah, I guess that works too in hindsight. :D

Word of advise, never do up your wetsuit beaver tail at depth. At that point it's much better to just dive with it flapping.
Cue video reference @ 1:03
[video=youtube;FU9COryOrOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU9COryOrOw&t=1m3s[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom