Scuba diver to Jr. OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WyGal

New
Reaction score
Our son 12 yrs has his scuba dive cert with Padi. We are going on holiday and it was suggested that our son upgrades to Jr. Scuba diver while my husband gets his open water cert.

While it seems like a nice idea to have the guys learning together, What is the advantage of having DS go to Jr. Open Water? When he turns 15 won't he have to upgrade yet again to regular open water?

We will not be diving but once a year and never without a dive master or instructor. Just confused what it all means.

In most agencies,... those with a Scuba Diver certification must be accompanied by an instructor, limited to 40 ft depth. With the Jr. OW, he would be able to dive with a professional or parent or guardian with a limitation of 40 ft for those 10 & 11 yrs old & 60 ft limitation for those 12- 15 yrs old. AT 15 yrs he may then get his regular (adult) OW certification.

A PADI diver certified as SCUBA Diver will always need to dive under the supervision of a PADI Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, or Instructor not matter the divers age and restricted to 12 meters/ 40 ft. As a JR Open Water diver as long as the student is 12 years of age or older on the day of training they will be able to dive to a max of 18 meters/ 60 ft, they will also not be required to dive with a PADI Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, or Instructor, they will only be required to dive with an adult who is a certified diver. When you son turns 15 you can then request an Open Water card for him but you will be required to pay the fees for the card. This will not require him to take another course, but if it has been a long period of time the shop may suggest a scuba review.

So the benefits he will be able to go to 18 meters/ 60ft, if during this time you and your family dive more frequently in the same area and you know it well enough then you can go with out a PADI Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, or Instructor. Also he will learn the rest of the open water skills which will benefit him when diving. Also if he wants to do his JR AOW or AOW on another trip (depending on his age when taking the course) he will already have completed his O/W training and just jump right into the next course.

Our son 12 yrs has his scuba dive cert with Padi. We are going on holiday and it was suggested that our son upgrades to Jr. Scuba diver while my husband gets his open water cert.

While it seems like a nice idea to have the guys learning together, What is the advantage of having DS go to Jr. Open Water? When he turns 15 won't he have to upgrade yet again to regular open water?

We will not be diving but once a year and never without a dive master or instructor. Just confused what it all means.
Are you saying your son has done a discover scuba diving experience? It is not really a certification,he would have to redo it everytime on holiday. If so to get to jr openwater he needs to do a full open water course just like you husband is doing.
with only scuba diver certification or discover scuba experience you need to pay a pro for the direct supervision that is required,can be $50-$75 additional per dive.

The PADI Scuba Diver/Jr. Scuba Diver certification is a subset of the Open Water course. It's a small step up from a Discover dive in that it allows one to obtain air fills and rent equipment but it's still limited to 40 feet in depth under the supervision of a PADI professional.

The course consists of the first five sections of the OW manual, three confined water dives and the first two open water dives.

Tec 100 CCR Instructor | PADI (Ignore the web page header that mentions Tec 100 CCR instructor...)

Just my .02 but I'm all for son and dad to work together no matter how much that is before they venture out somewhere.

If he's a Jr. Scuba Dvr then really all he needs are a little extra and the two other OW dives to become a Jr Open Water Scuba Dvr.

Personally I'd suggest talking to the Instructor that's conducting your husbands course and asking about your son joining in. This would do few things, one be a nice refresher for your son, complete his skills and let your son see how his dad is being trained, especially OOA skills.

When dad goes on his 4 OW dives the son can go along and finish his 2 OW dives.

At 15 I would not upgrade the card but let dad and son go through the Adv OW. Then the AdvOW card would not be Jr.

He does not have to redo the whole course but will put them on the same mind set.

I'm not sure which certification your son has if he needs to "upgrade" to a Jr. Open Water certification. If he did a Discover Scuba then he really doesn't have a certification. The only difference between a standard OW certification and a Jr. OW certification is the age of the diver. At 12 your son would go through all the training required for an adult to certify for OW. The biggest restriction would be because of his age he would then be designated as Jr. OW and has a depth restriction of 60 feet in lieu of the 130 for most adult recreational divers. He would also be required to dive with a certified adult at all times. Once he is 15 then his certification is upgraded automatically to regular OW and he does not have to recertify.

My daughter did a discover scuba dive at the resort we vacationed when she was 13 years old. After the dive the dive shop advised her that if she wanted to complete the PADI training she already completed the first dive of her PADI requirements. She could then take the full course, do the pool dives, and then only needs the remaining 3 training dives to be certified. Long story short she was certified by the time we came home. Her official PADI card had a gold strip across the top to indicate it was a JR. OW card. I didn't have any problems booking dive boats with her since I was her accompanying certified diver and have Advanced Open Water myself. She coincidentally did her AOW training at 15 just about the time she was due to get her automatic upgrade so her new card was the AOW one.

As for doing the course with Dad it depends on the relationship between father and son and the instructor. I would definitely talk to the dive shop and talk to the instructor before signing up for classes. Find out what the instructor's temperament is with children, how patient he/she seems to be with kids (adults too for that matter!), and how many kids he has trained in the past. Sometimes it's better for the kid to train without Mom or Dad in the pool with them. Especially if the parent is going to give advise on the side when the instructor is trying to work with the kid. I know a lot of instructors don't like this interaction. If Dad can keep his mouth shut and let the instructor do all the instructing then it should work just fine.

As for doing the course with Dad it depends on the relationship between father and son and the instructor. I would definitely talk to the dive shop and talk to the instructor before signing up for classes. Find out what the instructor's temperament is with children, how patient he/she seems to be with kids (adults too for that matter!), and how many kids he has trained in the past. Sometimes it's better for the kid to train without Mom or Dad in the pool with them. Especially if the parent is going to give advise on the side when the instructor is trying to work with the kid. I know a lot of instructors don't like this interaction. If Dad can keep his mouth shut and let the instructor do all the instructing then it should work just fine.

This bit of wisdom is golden.

I recently went through the OW course with my 13 yr old daughter. I know there were a few times I had to make sure and not open my mouth when I wanted to. So I'd keep quite and only provide some comments or feedback in private or on the way home on some things to watch out for, be aware of, etc.

Also, certainly consider the maturity of your child because they'll be put through tests that a lot of adults would mentally struggle with. Fortunately my daughter had the fortitude to handle the exercises. The LDS has been pushing for my son to also get certified (he'll be 12 soon), but I'm more inclined to give him another 6 mo to year of maturity only so that I'll know he'll be able to handle the mental aspect of the training.

Like FreeWillie referenced, my daughter's card say's Jr. OW diver on it

There is always a LOT of confusion on what a Jr XXX diver can do. I am a very experienced diver with a daughter that was certified at 11. Currently she is 14 and Jr Rescue w/Nitrox. I have had numerous fights with uninformed or think they know all dive shops about her limitations. I also have contacted PADI directly and received confirmations of what I am stating here. The experiance of the dive buddies of the Jr divers does make a difference in what they should be allowed to do by the parents.

From the C-Cards:

1. Printed on the Jr OW Card: 2 lines.
Line 1: 10-11 - With Parent or PADI Pro 12m/40 (Yes a 40' depth limitation but may go with a parent or pro)
Line 2: 12+ - With Adult. Note that there is no depth nor Parent/Pro limitation. Basically this states that they are able to dive NORMAL OW limits with only an adult. While PADI recommends 60' for OW and some dive shops enforce it, PADI's official depth limit for OW is 120' and this applies to the Jr OW.
I do not think that PADI lacked the ink or space on the card to have printed the same limitations as line 1.

2. Printed on the Jr AOW: Jr Advanced OW Diver Must Dive with Certified Adult. Again, No depth limitations, e.g. PADI's official depth limit of 130' and again I do not think that PADI forgot to print it on this card even though they printed the Adult limitation.

3. Printed on the Jr Rescue Diver: Jr Rescue Diver Must Dive with Certified Adult. Again, No depth limitations, e.g. PADI's official depth limit of 130' and again I do not think that PADI forgot to print it on this card even though they printed the Adult limitation.

The official limitation according to PADI when I questioned them for a Jr diver is 130'. There are considerations for what depth your child should go based on numerous factors including maturity, experience and overall ability to handle themselves. There are also considerations on physiological factors that must be balanced. When I learned to dive, 12 was the age to get a full OW certification without limitations.

When your child turns 15, they are full certified for the level they are certified to, e.g. mine will be a full Rescue Diver. She also possesses a IANTD Jr Nitrox which will convert then. We will convert all of her cards then to full status just to make a point,

In case you cannot tell from my rant on this, some shops have been very receptive to the Jr divers while others like to treat them with false interpretations of their limits. As PADI told me, ultimately there are no limits set on any diver by any agency that is enforced. I doubt anybody here will know of a certification being revoked for going to deep or being too risky (other than revoked by death).

There are limitations on training imposed on instructors, e.g. Jr AOW is limited to 70' for the 'deep' adventure dive. These training limitations are real and can be enforced by revoking the Instructor Certifications. The 'deep' adventure dive does not, however, translate to the maximum depth for a Jr AOW diver. Many training agencies set max depth limits shallower than the certified depth for training. TDI Basic Trimix comes to mind which has a limitation of 150' but a certified depth of 190?'. Also there are possible insurance limitations imposed on the dive operations that do not follow standard OW Recreational limitations of 130'.

I'm not sure which certification your son has if he needs to "upgrade" to a Jr. Open Water certification.
He has a Jr. Scuba Diver certification. Or is there some other info in the thread that I'm missing?

Scuba Diver is less of the book, fewer confined water dives and fewer training open water dives than Open Water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom