Tummy Problem While Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salvatore77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am really new to scuba world, in progressing to get my Open Water License. I went to pool sessions for three time and experienced quite bad tummy problem. I feel some sort like heartburn, it cause me hardly to breath. Its seem that the O2 is not enough inhale to my lungs. So uncomfortable. Anyone having the same experience? How to overcome the problem? :depressed:

It could be many things: gear that fits too tightly, anxiety, contaminated air, air not turned on all the way, or perhaps a physiological condition affected by the pressure of the water. More information is needed to be truly helpful. You should discuss the issue and symptoms with your instructor, check your equipment for proper operation, and if there is a persisting problem, see your doctor.
DivemasterDennis

I think the gear was fix and working with great condition, also nothing wrong with the air and water because other divers were around and they were not experiencing such problem.

It might related to anxiety or perhaps a physiological condition affected by the pressure of the water, how to overcome the problem? Any treatment or medication?

I have been diving for 10 years and no matter how hard i have tried to improve and/or alter my breathing techniques I get heartburn on every dive. I have Fortunately for what I experience isn't as severe as what you discribe and doesn't effect my respiration. I have tried adjusting a
equipment but
My only solution is Zantac (ranitidine) sometimes even losec (Omeprazole) before every day of diving. You can speak to your doctor to discuss medical options if you want to go that route. It has really helped me.

I also use Zantac. Works really well. Several others I know also use it. I don't have an issues every dive but for the longer ones it is good to know that it will be a comfortable dive.

I think the main thing that the OP may be experiencing is run-of-the mill heartburn/reflux. The human digestive system is largely "gravity fed" and designed to work while in a vertical position - sitting or standing. While diving we're largely horizontal, which can cause some people stomach problems.

New divers, however have it even worse. Inexperienced divers tend to spend ALL of their time cycling between being horizontal, head-down, horizontal, head-up, horizontal, head down, etc... while also leaning to the left, then even-keel, then leaning to the right, then even-keel. Then add in a bit of vertigo caused by not being used to being weightless in the water. Mix in some natural nerves and anxiety. Sort of sounds like being on an amusement park ride, no?

Then, top it all off by putting on a tight wetsuit, donning restrictive gear, stuffing a regulator in your mouth, and breathing in a completely different fashion than you've done for your entire life.

Eat some bland food before your next class/dive. Nothing spicy/greasy. Don't eat too much. Don't dive on an empty stomach.

Most of all... relax! You'll be fine.

Welcome to the underwater world!

Ray

Ken's rule #1. Don't eat brautworst prior to diving. I'll be "off gassing" for hours after diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On one of my first open water dives with the local dive club, somebody brought some pizzas for lunch. I was fine until I went head down looking under some structure. Let's just say that some of the bluegills ate well that day

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom