Buoyancy problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandie7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So far I have been unable to do this exercise:

Scuba Diving: achieving better buoyancy - Chicago scuba diving | Examiner.com

I always fall on my back. My instructor says it does not matter the position you are doing it, but everytime we are trying this way - I am facing the surface - water gets in my ears (or so it seems), I feel pain and have to ascend for a few minutes.

The first time I had slight pain for a few days, the second time I had to call a doctor and take anti-anflamatory meds.

Today I tried again, no way, pain again, I won't be able to do this exercise this way.

I never had ear problems in my life, it is just happening when I am with my head this way.

Thanks for any advice !

Why would you even bother with this? Hopefully, you'll be diving in flat, and horizontal, so why not practice that way?

Hovering is a key diving skill . . . but in what position you can hover motionless is quite dependent on the gear you are using. The Buddha hover, as shown in your link, is not too difficult if you are using little exposure protection and aluminum tanks, but it can be impossible if you are using a steel (negative) tank, unless you have lead weight in front of you to balance the tendency of the tank to sink.

Although there really isn't any good explanation for it, some people do report having trouble clearing their ears in certain positions. It sounds as though you have problems doing it on your back.

Your instructor should be satisfied with you hovering in a horizontal, diving position -- the skill does not have to be done sitting, not at all.

Hi Sandie,
Is your concern the water entering your ears, or the fact that you are rolling back? Obviously one is leading to the other.

It would be helpful for your instructor to work on helping you find the proper trim weight configuration. A pound or two of weight in the right place (on your belt, or high/low on your tank, etc., etc.) can help with balancing out your rig.

Practice helps quite a bit too. Keep at it.

Why would you even bother with this? Hopefully, you'll be diving in flat, and horizontal, so why not practice that way?

Hmmm ... well, I am in a class, I am supposed to do what I am told :)

Hovering is a key diving skill . . . but in what position you can hover motionless is quite dependent on the gear you are using. The Buddha hover, as shown in your link, is not too difficult if you are using little exposure protection and aluminum tanks, but it can be impossible if you are using a steel (negative) tank, unless you have lead weight in front of you to balance the tendency of the tank to sink.

Although there really isn't any good explanation for it, some people do report having trouble clearing their ears in certain positions. It sounds as though you have problems doing it on your back.

Your instructor should be satisfied with you hovering in a horizontal, diving position -- the skill does not have to be done sitting, not at all.

I have a steel tank, but so is everybody, I am the only one rolling backwards. But, I am also the only woman and the one who weights less.

Ok, so I will just keep practising it horizontaly, thank you !

Hi Sandie,
Is your concern the water entering your ears, or the fact that you are rolling back? Obviously one is leading to the other.

It would be helpful for your instructor to work on helping you find the proper trim weight configuration. A pound or two of weight in the right place (on your belt, or high/low on your tank, etc., etc.) can help with balancing out your rig.

Practice helps quite a bit too. Keep at it.

At first, rolling on my back was making me very nervous. But not anymore, now it's really the pain. I will keep practising, no doubt ... I will talk to my instructor about the weights.

The Buddha hover is just bullcrap. You will not normally do it on any dive. It demonstrates very little. For some people getting weighted to do it just right means not correctly weighted for 99% of the diving you will do. Not everyone mind you but if you need to move a bunch of weight to your waist to stay upright like that you could end up feet down when you should be horizontal. Get weighted so you are in trim in a horizontal position. I also tell my students to think about what I ask them to do. If it doesn't seem to make sense then question it. Don't take it as gospel.

Here in Portugal we all use steel tanks ( cylinders ) can´t see the `` buddha ´´ being much use though, allthough I will try it next dive just for fun, as you know weather in Portugal at the moment is not great...

Good luck..

I use that move all the time. Stretches my back and keeps my legs from cramping at a safety stop. I usually grab the tips of my fins and stretch. Bob up and down while you breath. If you flip to your back, try moving your weight more to the stomach or add some in the bc front pockets. It's not a totally crap maneuver, just one you have to practice at. I think padi should give a card for such skills, call it underwater yoga posing. I'll sometimes even scull with my hands and do little somersaults. It looks ridiculous but is fun, and that's what diving is about. Now If only someone could teach me to blow air rings when I exhale.

Ask your instructor when you will get back to diving. Its nice to know a circus trick, but its not actually diving. Read Jim's post above for the unvarnished version.

I use vinegar, water and alcohol in thirds to completely remove any water in my ears and disinfect them. My theory is that you stay face down some air will stay in your outer ear and protect it a bit, when you go upside down water will replace the air on the eardrum and may stay trapped there after you get out of the water. I am not a doctor or play one on Scubaboard, this is just what I think happens to me and how I fixed it. TS&M is much more knowledgeable. if she chimes in on this part of your problem.

Chap goes to the Doctor and says" Doctor, it hurts when I lift my arm up". Doctor says "Don"t do it then".

Bob
-----------------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

I agree to the uselessness of the position and what other posters have said before. But to address the pain issue: Does your pain start under water, or several hours afterwards? The point is: is it caused by an overstretching of your eardrums due to uncontrolled depth changes while falling back, or is it a bacterial inflammation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom