No PADI cert. Can you scuba dive while traveling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namerg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just wondering if I am just a tourist in the Caribbean and want to scuba dive. Can I do it without being certified ? Just curious. Thoughts ?

You can't rent a tank without a ccard. You can't fill a tank without a ccard.

You can take a DSD scuba dive with an instructor though.

Sure. It's called by a number of names. It is technically called "Discover Scuba Diving," but many people call it a Resort Course.

If you have completed your confined water experiences for your course, as you have indicated elsewhere, you will have no trouble with it. You will have a classroom session that repeats training you have already had, you will have a shallow water training session that repeats the first part of your confined water training, and you will be able to do a dive with an instructor to a maximum depth of 40 feet. You will be able to do more than one of these dives.

You can take a DSD scuba dive with an instructor though.
And DSD stands for ?

I just asked because I have a close friend and she had done 8 dives but she is not certified yet. Of course she was holding hands with an instructor I am assuming.

---------- Post added November 24th, 2014 at 04:49 PM ----------

Ohh you answered by question, boulderjohn.

It is amazing to me that people will do as many as 8 DSDs without getting certified, but I have had students who have indeed had something like that many before taking a class. By the time they have done it that often, they are quite comfortable in the water and have zero trouble getting certified.

Just wondering if I am just a tourist in the Caribbean and want to scuba dive. Can I do it without being certified ? Just curious. Thoughts ?
you can do anything you want...it just takes money.

as noted you can partake in an officially sanctioned and recognized "discover scuba" experience. these type of activities "should" be safe.

there are also some shady operations that will take anyone scuba diving, with no training and suspect gear. i have met people who did the shady thing (Mexico and Jamaica).i would not consider these type of operations as safe.

having an awareness of the DSD course standards should allow you to form an opinion regarding the offerings of the dive op at your destination.

My g/f and I did a Discovery dive in Maui last year. Class was a 30 minute briefing on the boat on the way to the dive site. Skills demonstration was in the water at the dive site, floating on the surface and just below it. Then we dove, with a max depth of 25-30 feet.

It was awesome.

My g/f and I did a Discovery dive in Maui last year. Class was a 30 minute briefing on the boat on the way to the dive site. Skills demonstration was in the water at the dive site, floating on the surface and just below it. Then we dove, with a max depth of 25-30 feet.

It was awesome.
Just curious: were the two of you in the water at the same time for the skills demo, or one at a time?

Back
Top Bottom