First Scuba Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottwilson1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not sure where to post this but being new to diving I'll post it here ,

Went down to Thailand to visit some friends and go on my first dive trip, I had a blast
even tho I ran into some issues but still had a ton of fun.

I was lucky to be dealing with a great dive center they were very friendly and most important made you feel safe on the dive
there BIG on the buddy checks and will make you dive with a guide first to asses your skills and see if they will let you go off with your buddy.
everything was going great on the first dive except my brand new Aeris a300 cs dive computer broke at 41ft up until then it was working fine but hit 41ft then
poof the screen went black and now looks like a etch a sketch :/ - at first this was very upsetting but by the time I got back to boat all i could do is laugh
and not let it ruin my day/trip I went redundant anyways so still had my SPG ( got the transmitter for watching the air supply ). Second dive was great saw some lovely coral but was sad to see all the garbage in the area, I was going to pull out some bits of plastic but they were surrounded by sea urchins so I elected to leave it. When i got back to the Hotel I emailed my LDC and they got back to me right away and apologised then a few days later informed me that a new computer was on its way and should be in by the time I got back so I was happy.

The rest of the week went smooth I got to check out the wreck S.S. Suddhadib twice and it was awesome got to see my first Nudibranch there
Dove with some great guys who were there all week long really helpful laid back.

Being a newbie i was very happy with myself as I didn't have one crash landing and didn't stir up the bottom for other divers that was my main goal for the trip and got the buoyancy down I do have to say that I really enjoyed the BP/W i bought over the Jacket style BC i was given to use in the O/W tests.

This trip deffiently cemented the fact I love divining and look forward to a life time of it

P.S anyone else notice that when near coral it sounds like Kelloggs rice krispies when you add milk ? or am I nuts

It does sound that way! There are a lot of critters that eat coral (parrotfish) but there are also a lot of animals that make various noises. There was a great article in Dive Training magazine a year or so ago about that.

Congratulations on a successful trip, and my personal thanks to you for prioritizing good buoyancy control and consideration for other divers :)

Glad you had a great time! The first time I heard the "Rice Krispies" noise on a reef, I thought I was losing it too...... you get used to it after a while. :wink: Keep on diving!!!

Adam

Not sure where to post this but being new to diving I'll post it here ,

Went down to Thailand to visit some friends and go on my first dive trip, I had a blast
even tho I ran into some issues but still had a ton of fun.

<SNIP>

P.S anyone else notice that when near coral it sounds like Kelloggs rice krispies when you add milk ? or am I nuts

You did very well for a new diver- heck-even an experienced diver could get rattled by this stuff. If you do enough dives- eventually something will go wrong- equipment will fail, someone will kick your mask off, etc but you were ready mentally and so had good dives and a good vacation. It is wondrous all the things you see diving- the first times are always so great. I hope you keep enjoying yourself.

It does sound that way! There are a lot of critters that eat coral (parrotfish) but there are also a lot of animals that make various noises. There was a great article in Dive Training magazine a year or so ago about that.

Congratulations on a successful trip, and my personal thanks to you for prioritizing good buoyancy control and consideration for other divers :)

Thanks it was still fun working on buoyancy skills , didn't want to be that guy who stirs up the bottom for everyone and smashing into coral with his fins while taking pics

Thanks it was still fun working on buoyancy skills , didn't want to be that guy who stirs up the bottom for everyone and smashing into coral with his fins while taking pics

You'll be working on buoyancy skills for as long as you're a diver...like golf, scuba is a game of small adjustments. And re-adjustments. But the more you work the more you notice your overall skills will increase. It looks like you're in Canada - is there any local diving nearby? It'll probably be mighty cold, but even being able to bag a dive weekend every couple of months will help keep your skills honed. When I lived in DC and went on dive trips, I found the first dive of the trip was mostly knocking rust off my skills. Now that I frequently dive and assist with classes on weekends, I've found my own diving to be much sharper!

Congrats on what sounds like an awesome trip! So...where to next? :)

You'll be working on buoyancy skills for as long as you're a diver...like golf, scuba is a game of small adjustments. And re-adjustments. But the more you work the more you notice your overall skills will increase. It looks like you're in Canada - is there any local diving nearby? It'll probably be mighty cold, but even being able to bag a dive weekend every couple of months will help keep your skills honed. When I lived in DC and went on dive trips, I found the first dive of the trip was mostly knocking rust off my skills. Now that I frequently dive and assist with classes on weekends, I've found my own diving to be much sharper!

Congrats on what sounds like an awesome trip! So...where to next? :)

Thanks Steve, Yes there is several dive sites within a decent distance away, one is only 25 mins away from house and the others are a couple hours , but I plan on diving on most of my days off from April - threw to the fall.
planning on going back to the same place in March as i have some friends there I like to visit plus plenty of wrecks to still check out :)

I'm also just in the middle of losing some weight so once i get back down to were i want to be ( losing about 30-40lbs) then I'm going to shell out the dollars for a nice dry suit so I can dive all year long. My LDC is setting up a ice diving club of sorts so hope to get in on the fun :)

Ahh the sounds of those noisy parrot fish chomping on coral, and the tiny tapping noises of Itty bitty shrimp...awesome.
Welcome and glad you had a fun first trip.

I am sorry to inform you that you are now officially "spoiled," having done your first dive in Thailand.

Congratulations!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom