Skills to have polished before going to AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Screwball

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I recently completed my OW and have done a few dives. I'm really enjoying it and am keen on doing AOW some time in the future. I know you can technically go straight from OW to AOW, but are there any particular skills/techniques I should have absolutely bombproof first to maximise how much I get from the AOW course? Cheers.

Agreed with C Dub. Buoyancy control is the departure point to everything else. Also trim, i.e. flat, horizontal position in the water. Hovering, staying at the same depth when doing some tasks. You could practise the same drills which were taught while kneeling on the bottom but hovering in middle of water. Ascending or descending gently by means of breathing.

Buoyancy and trim. If those are not dialed in you are going to waste a lot of time. I'd make sure you can perform all basic skills neutral and horizontal in midwater with no more than a 2 ft change in depth when doing a mask remove and replace, reg recovery, weight system off and on.

I require students to be able to do this to start my Advanced classes. Since these are OW basic skills to begin with.

You should be able to do a proper weight check without assistance. I don't have time to check your weights. But I will be asking you every dive how they feel and if you feel the need to make an adjustment. If you do then it should be done before the next dive.

Be prepared to have your equipment critiqued and if necessary asked to reconfigure it. Some items I don't allow in my classes.

But to be fair I don't teach a by the book course. Not agency book anyway. I teach by my book and materials I created that happen to fall within agency standards. My AOW course is outlined in my book and I send the actual student outline to those who ask and provide an email address.

Have fun diving, and practice what your were taught in OW.

You could hire a DM/Instructor for a dive or two to work on furthering skills or adding new ones before AOW, like more advanced propulsion, better buoyancy and trim work, ascents, etc.

You should master the skills gained from your last course before you start your next (more important with more advanced courses down the road).

BRad

Of course I agree on buoyancy and trim. You should continue to practise the 20 pool skills from OW, but this doesn't specifically relate to AOW as it should be done for as long as you dive.

but are there any particular skills/techniques I should have absolutely bombproof first to maximise how much I get from the AOW course?
While mastery of basic buoyancy control is essential, in order to get the most out of the experience, I would add that mastery of compass use is equally critical. One of the required Adventure Dives, at least in the PADI AOW, is Underwater Navigation. One of the bigger challenges i see in AOW is students trying to use a compass, when they have not practiced with one at all since they did their two compass swims in OW, and really are not at all comfortable using a compass. So, I would emphasize u/w compass use as a skill which should be 'bombproof'.

Do 25 dives (give or take) in varying conditions and locations. Ask your more experienced buddies how you're doing (no flattery allowed). If they think you're coming along okay, and your buoyancy is becoming second-nature, then go ahead with AOW, you will benefit from it much more if you aren't constantly going up and down in the water while other things are going on.

Also keep your gas consumption rates in mind. If you're always the first one to turn the dive because of your pressure gauge, do more dives until you're more relaxed and at least "average" in air consumption.

The most important skill to take into your AOW is the ability to have fun. Really.

Yes, buoyancy, trim and propulsion are extremely important to you being in control of your diving. My OW students have that skill but not all do.

However, in the long run, keeping it light and having fun will keep you diving for years and years. Don't stress the small stuff and realize that most of what you'll run into is small stuff. You'll hopefully be getting some new skills as well as polishing your current skills. If you have fun, it will all be worth it.

As someone who plans on taking AOW once the water becomes a liquid again, I like the timing of this thread, it'll give me something to work on through the winter in the pool. I've noticed something too... every single reply mentions buoyancy control! There must be a reason for that :)

Buoyancy control. Focus on buoyancy.
Buoyancy control
Buoyancy and trim.
better buoyancy and trim work
Of course I agree on buoyancy and trim
While mastery of basic buoyancy control is essential
and your buoyancy is becoming second-nature
Yes, buoyancy, trim and propulsion are extremely important to you being in control of your diving.

So my question is, is there a good way to practice this besides just swimming around? I'm thinking of bringing something to act as a reference, just not sure what yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom