CozumelGrand Cayman Drift Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpdunc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are recently certified and are having a great diving time. To date we have done some boat dives and some springs dives and have limited our depth to 60 feet as recommended by our instructor.

We are going on a Panama Canal cruise and have signed up for shore excursion dives in Cozumel and in Grand Cayman.

The brochure for the Cozumel dive describes the two boat dives as follows:

" The first drift dive is usually one of the fabulous walls at either Palancar or Santa Rosa reefs and will have a maximum depth of 70 feet. The second drift dive will be one of the very colorful shallow reefs............."

My questions:
1. With this type of drift dive, will a Dive Master or other staff member stay with the group to assure that us newbies finish near the boat?
2. Will there be a problem for us if we restrict our depth to 60 feet?
3. Is this a reasonable excursion for new divers with about six open water dives?

Thanks in advance.

I'm so jealous, I have to wait until mid June to get back to there. I have done both of those dives. Most of the Cozumel dive operators are good about having a DM with you...be certain you let them know you haven't done a lot of diving and I'm sure theyll take special care.

I learned drift diving so the security of an anchor doesn't mean much to me. Make sure you know how to make a safe ascent...watching above you for boats...don't want to get run over or clonk your head.**********:smilie(':wink:')
winkjavacript:smilie(':wink:')
wink

As for the depth...I've been to 90 feet in that area. At 90 you still can see the surface, visability is amazing. I think you can relax about that ten foot difference and just stay with divemaster and follow directions. The scuba god is unlikely to pick you up and shake you for going ten feet deeper than your instructor recommended....after all..you have to progress at some point. But don't be reticent about making it very clear that you only have 6 dives under your belt and have never been deeper than 60 feet. Your DM will probably pay a little extra attention which may help with your comfort level. Have a great time! It's unbelievably gorgeous there.

...is like flying!!
Jpdunc,
First, welcome to the board, from NJ!
Regarding your question, Cougar has it right on the money. First, let the DM know of your experience level, and he/she will probably keep an extra close eye on you.
Also, if the dives are booked with any of the more established dive shops, the " drill"-based on my 3 trips to Cozumel, will involve the boat following the divers, and as a buddy pair ascends, move in to pick them up. It is great! Just be sure you are practiced in ascents, and surface floating -as there is sometimes a brief wait as the boat gets to you.
Enjoy your trip,
Good luck,
MikeD

Cougar and Miked,

Thanks to both of you for the helpful replies.

My wife and I don't want to be a nusiance for the DiveMaster, but we also hate to miss the diving opportunities while we are on this cruise.

The timing of our Open Water Certifications and the darned demands of work have simply prevented too many diving opportunities pre cruise. We are going out on 3/30 to get in one more 60 to 70 foot dive before we cruise.

Thanks again. We'll be sure to let the crews know of our relative inexperience and, if the service is there, tip accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom