Salt water weight requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am new to diving - just got certified officially last weekend. When I did my open water cert dives in freshwater, I used 7 lbs. My first post-cert dives will be in Hawaii in a couple months. Approximately, how much weight will I need in the waters of the Pacific Ocean? And do dive operators help out newbies with bouyancy checks?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Betty

About 2% more than your fresh water requirement. This is not 2% of your weight belt, this is 2% of your total mass. Put your entire rig on as if you were going to dive in fresh water (complete with tank), stand on a scale, and add 2% to that figure... so if you are 250 on the scale, add another 5 pounds.

Dive ops do not always spend the time to help with your buoyancy, but you will occasionally have some time for shore diving to sort things out before heading out on the boat.

Diver Girl:
I am new to diving - just got certified officially last weekend. When I did my open water cert dives in freshwater, I used 7 lbs. My first post-cert dives will be in Hawaii in a couple months. Approximately, how much weight will I need in the waters of the Pacific Ocean? And do dive operators help out newbies with bouyancy checks?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Betty

One thing is fairly certain you will need more weight. Most dive operators will take the time and help just be sure to let them know ASAP on the way to the site. The problem is if you dive in NE waters and use a 7mm two pc suit in fresh water and in Tropical waters you use a 3mm shorty you may use exactly the same amount of weight. Just ask and most DM are used to sizing up diviers weight needs, and if you have a problem once in the water they can add a few pounds for you. Have a great trip, welcome to the club.

My wife and I were certified in fresh water also, and our experience with salt the first time was hilarious. We wanted to see if there was a difference and couldn't get down. We did this on a shore dive, so we were able to exit, add weight and keep experimenting until we found our weight. It worked out to 6 pounds for each of us, but we did dive the same equipment, so we didn't have to gauge for different wetsuits, BC's etc. If you can, before you go on the boat, try a shore dive. It takes time and effort, but was well worth it.

Betty you are real lucky getting to the islands to dive---relax and have FUN!!!

Diver Girl:
And do dive operators help out newbies with bouyancy checks?
I'm new also and the few dive boats I've called/used around here (Oahu) have weight belts on board. And as others have mentioned, should be able to help you out. But make it clear to the operator when booking that this is an area of concern for you and verify that you will have access to weights on board (this is what I did and everything went great). They are working for tips ya know... :eyebrow: ! They'll want you to have a safe and wonderful experience. Enjoy!

salt water also has wicked/evil updrafts
better over than under weighted

I am positively bouyant even in fresh water - I can float on my back.
I'm skinny and only weigh 55kg.

In a 3mm full body wet suit I need to carry 5 kg of weight - ie just under 10% of my body mass to descend comfortably in salt water, and be able to ascend safely with an empty tank.
It's the ascent that is important in salt water. An empty tank is more bouyant, and you notice this increase in bouyancy. You need to make sure you have enough weight to allow you to complete your safety stop. The top 6m are always hard.
In a wetsuit I can get away with 4kg but I use a lot of air through working hard to maintain my bouyancy. So I use 5kg.
In a skin suit I only need 4kg - ie the full body wetsuit requires an extra 1kg.

I'll have one heck of a time...I did some "resort" dives in Key West in July wearing 26lbs (no suit) I did my OW dives in freshwater using 28lbs with a 3mm full suit (and my instructor thought that I was probably over weighted by the time we got through to our last dive)

So NOW I'll be going back to KW in November, and taking the suit, how the heck much should I wear? hahaha!

I'm thinking that if in fresh water with the suit I was over weighted, I would probably be about right in salt water with the 28 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom