Help suffering claustrophobia-any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I tried my first closed water dive last night in a local pool but could not get beyond just going underwater and swimming a little, literally beneath the surface. Could not bring myself to remove the respirator etc. required to complete first part of the course. Does anyone have any top tips on staying calm and collected?

Hello Joan Varley, my name is Matt. I would like to welcome you to ScubaBoard!

Take care and Safe Diving. :butnhome:

Click here to greet a new member!
:thumb:
No experience needed and it feels great!

Welcome to the board and yes, BREATH. Long deep breath

Hey Joan,

Welcome to the board!!
Best thing to do is just relax and take it one step at a time. Your instructor or divemaster will be glad to take some time to spend with you to work up your confidence. Just make sure to let them know that you're a bit uncomfortable, and they may be able to offer you some 1 on 1 time.

Hope this helps

SF

Joan Varley:
I tried my first closed water dive last night in a local pool but could not get beyond just going underwater and swimming a little, literally beneath the surface. Could not bring myself to remove the respirator etc. required to complete first part of the course. Does anyone have any top tips on staying calm and collected?
Hi Joan,
Welcome aboard... sorry to see you're having difficulty.
Could you give us a little more background? Are you a pretty good swimmer? Do you have any snorkeling experience?
Are your feelings best defined as a feeling of being closed in, impending doom, high anxiety or just general discomfort with the whole "face-in-the-water" thing? (none of these feelings are uncommon among new Scuba students, by the way, so you're not unusual in that regard).
The more specific you can be about what's getting in your way, the better we can tailor our thoughts on how to help you break that barrier.
Rick

Science has proved that it is impossible to freak out if you breathe slowly.
You have to slow down a bit and just relax. Get comfortable and ease your way in.
Confidence destroys Nervousness.

Rick Murchison:
Hi Joan,
Welcome aboard... sorry to see you're having difficulty.
Could you give us a little more background? Are you a pretty good swimmer? Do you have any snorkeling experience?
Are your feelings best defined as a feeling of being closed in, impending doom, high anxiety or just general discomfort with the whole "face-in-the-water" thing? (none of these feelings are uncommon among new Scuba students, by the way, so you're not unusual in that regard).
The more specific you can be about what's getting in your way, the better we can tailor our thoughts on how to help you break that barrier.
Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply.I guess the problem was the feeling of the mask around my nose and the feeling of being closed in. I have no problem swimming or putting my face in the water although no experience previously with snorkelling. It's mainly the concern of not breathing properly and deeply enough and not having faith in the equipment or myself. Illogical I know as everyone keeps telling me. I know it's a question of mind over matter and if kids aged 10 can do it then I should too. Anyway I am going back tomorrow night to try again on a one-to one basis with an instructor.I was also sent some great advice from Jim in N. Louisana on basic slow breathing techniques but any further advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks
Joan
Knutsford,UK

Joan Varley:
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply.I guess the problem was the feeling of the mask around my nose and the feeling of being closed in. I have no problem swimming or putting my face in the water although no experience previously with snorkelling. It's mainly the concern of not breathing properly and deeply enough and not having faith in the equipment or myself. Illogical I know as everyone keeps telling me. I know it's a question of mind over matter and if kids aged 10 can do it then I should too. Anyway I am going back tomorrow night to try again on a one-to one basis with an instructor.I was also sent some great advice from Jim in N. Louisana on basic slow breathing techniques but any further advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks
Joan
Knutsford,UK

One possible suggestion if the option is available. You might try a different mask. It's possible that one with a bit more volume and side windows might help to relieve that closed in feeling. With my mask (a 16 year old Dacor Tri-vista), I can actually see a wider view through the side windows underwater than I can on the surface with no mask at all. If you can find one with side windows, it might be worth a try. :06:

hey joan welcome to the club, i was terrified the first time i had to go under water. I had a near drowning incident as a child, but i still wanted to learn to dive. so when i went to take the course i explianed that to the instructor when i started. i did ok in the pool, but when i went to get my open water certification that was a different story. it took my almost an hour to get in the water and go down. i did it though. i have been diving for over four years now. i learned to take it one breat at a time and relax. you will do great.

This may not be the same problem you are having but this is what used to happen to me.

As soon as dipped below the surface I would always freak because my mask felt like it was going to come off. I later realized that it was my bubbles from exhaling that would jumble my mask. I just started looking down when I did descents until I got comfortable. No problems now.

A good suggestion for any problem is to practice in about 3 feet of water, as soon as you feel uncomfortable or in danger then just stand up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom