How many diving trips are too many for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aeonflux10

Registered
Reaction score
My hubby and I are trying to prearrange some diving trips in French Polynesia, but we don't want to book too many. There are some natural limitations of when we can dive (ie not w/in 24 hours before flying), any other advice??

I discovered that it works best for me to take at least one day off before departure (to get rid of work-related irritations). Two dives a day can be done easily. Maybe more depending on your diving skills and general fitness.
I'd recommend taking a day off of diving after three days of diving to off-gas. And at least 24 hours rest before flying back.

Laurens

Definately do at least two a day. You can probably always sign up for more after you get there, but 3 a day plus a night dive or two thrown in can make for some really tiring days if you aren't used to it.

I just got back from a Cozumel trip that I booked through my LDS which included my OW checkout dives and 4 dives a day. I have to admit that by the last day I was pretty worn out. Even though I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, I would recommend 2 to 3 dives a day for someone who is new to diving. Like Kent said, you can always add more dives if you feel like it.

Have fun on your trip!

Two a day has always been a good number for me, it gave me time to get out and see some sights. I always liked to do the afternoon dives because the sun was higher and I had time to relax over breakfast.

DennisS:
Two a day has always been a good number for me, it gave me time to get out and see some sights. I always liked to do the afternoon dives because the sun was higher and I had time to relax over breakfast.

Sorry - a little newbie confusion :)

"2 dives a day" - does this mean two physical trips out to diving locations, or does it mean on the same trip out, going under once, coming back up after a little bit, and going back under?

Thanks in advance :)

Chantal

2 dives means 2 tanks usually. I'll definitely echo the advice to do 2 tanks a day. Unlike DennisS, we prefer to dive in the mornings and have all afternoon to play. During a 10 day vacation, we usually dive 7-8 of those days.

One trip, two dives.

Are you going to Moorea, I love that place. Bali Hai bar has the best hot dogs anywhere, they're on a baguette. If Chez Pauline's is still around it's worth it for lunch, go with the chicken, its free range and fresh, real fresh, old time Moorea. I imagine Pauline has passed on by now but her collection of tikis was impressive. The truck restaurants in Papeete are a lot of fun and surprisingly good food.

Depends on the length of your trip. If I'm on a short trip of 4 or 5 days, I will do a 2 tank dive in the morning and a 2 tank dive in the afternoon plus at least one night dive. If i'm on a longer trip, I'll dive less during the day, either 2 in the morning and take the rest of the day off and then a night dive, or sleep in and do 2 afternoon dives plus a night dive but you can bet there will be days I'll do 4 or more dives.

Just remember to stay hydrated. The more you dive, the more water you need to be drinking, and start hydrating days before you start diving.

Dive but don't over-dive. Enjoy the trip but don't push the diving part. Vacations are often missed by diving, diving, diving

K

Back
Top Bottom