Atlantic Torpedo Ray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boston Diver Services

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
We dove the wreck of the Romance today. The sun was shining and the seas flat. We had around 20' of viz at 85fsw. It was the best viz I have seen at this wreck. About 20 min into the dive I came across what I later learned was an Atlantic Torpedo Ray. I had never seen one. This thing was five feet long and three to four across. The ray was just sitting on the bottom and paid no attention to me watching her/him. I resisted the urge to give it a poke to watch it swim. Good thing...I also learned later that it packs up to a 220 volt punch. A hit like that at 85fsw would be interesting. This is what it looked like. The pic is not mine. Capt. Pat

SIZE: Atlantic torpedo ray may be up to 1.82 m (6 ft.) in length
FEMALE In general, female rays are larger than males.

WEIGHT: Atlantic torpedo ray may reach 90 kg (200 lb.)

DIET: Depending on the species, electric rays may eat fishes, worms, and crustaceans. Adult Atlantic rays consume eels, flounders, and small sharks.

GESTATION: Ovoviviparous ("egg live birth"); Atlantic torpedo rays have a 12 month gestation period.
CLUTCH SIZE Lesser electric rays may bear only 2 pups at a time, while Atlantic torpedo rays can deliver as many as 60 pups at a time.

FUN FACTS

1. Electric rays belong to the superorder Batoidea, which includes stingrays, skates, guitarfishes, and sawfishes. Like their relatives the sharks, batoids have skeletons made of tough connective tissue called cartilage.

2. Atlantic torpedo rays (Torpedo nobiliana), for example, live along the coastlines of Canada, the United States, United Kingdom, and South Africa. But they also have been found in the open ocean at depths of approximately 450 m (1,475 ft.). Blind electric rays (Typhlonarke aysoni) have been discovered in waters as deep as 900 m (2,950 ft.).

3. The mouth of the Australian coffin ray (Hypnos monopterygium) is enormous, allowing it to gulp prey half the size of its body.

4. All living creatures produce electricity - even humans - but electric rays have two special kidney-shaped organs that generate and store electricity like a battery. Large Atlantic torpedo rays can generate enough power to produce a shock of about 220 volts, while smaller rays, like the lesser electric ray (Narcine brasiliensis) can only muster a shock of about 37 volts.

5. Most electric rays bury themselves under sand during the day and come out at night to feed. If prey is encountered, the ray will stun the creature with electricity. Then, the ray will guide the food with its pectoral fins to its mouth, which is located under its body.

6. In addition to stunning potential prey and dissuading prospective predators, the electric organs of electric rays may also be used to detect prey and to communicate with each other.

Mu buddy and I saw an Atlantic Torpedo Ray on our second dive at Cathedral Rocks two weeks ago. We followed it for about five minutes in about 20ft of water (had 25+ ft of visability that day). That was by far my best marine life dive here in MA (also saw a school of 35+ strippers, a few sculpin, and hundreds of cunner).

My buddy and I saw the Pacific version of this ray last weekend diving the Star of Scotland wreck in So Cal. It was the first I had seen one and was not aware of what it was until after the dive. It cruised along slowly and could not care less that we were close and snapping pictures. I guess it did not see us as a threat. My buddy touched it at the edge and it pulled away. It could have gone much worse.

I was involved in a diver fatality in Maine (Nubble Light) a number of years ago. A young (maybe 18-20 yr old) diver was found unconsious, 15 ft from shore at a depth of 20 feet with air in his tank. Perfect conditions, good vis, no waves or current, many divers present who could have assisted if there was a struggle at the surface. Diver decided to stay down a few extra minutes, after his buddy ascended due to low on air.

Prior to this dive, and a few days later I came upon a very large torpedo ray which seemed to have hung out in that area for a while. It has always been my feeling that the Ray must have zapped him, but of course this is only an educated guess. I always gave the ray a wide berth after that incident.

I've seen them at Nubble in York Maine and 2 Lights in Cape Elizabeth Maine. Very cool critter. Easy to follow and hang with.

Pete

Yeah, the one at Nubble is still there, hanging out. I see him from time to time.

Boston Diver Services:
We dove the wreck of the Romance today. The sun was shining and the seas flat. We had around 20' of viz at 85fsw. It was the best viz I have seen at this wreck. About 20 min into the dive I came across what I later learned was an Atlantic Torpedo Ray. I had never seen one. This thing was five feet long and three to four across. The ray was just sitting on the bottom and paid no attention to me watching her/him. I resisted the urge to give it a poke to watch it swim. Good thing...I also learned later that it packs up to a 220 volt punch. A hit like that at 85fsw would be interesting. This is what it looked like. The pic is not mine. Capt. Pat

SIZE: Atlantic torpedo ray may be up to 1.82 m (6 ft.) in length
FEMALE In general, female rays are larger than males.

WEIGHT: Atlantic torpedo ray may reach 90 kg (200 lb.)

DIET: Depending on the species, electric rays may eat fishes, worms, and crustaceans. Adult Atlantic rays consume eels, flounders, and small sharks.

GESTATION: Ovoviviparous ("egg live birth"); Atlantic torpedo rays have a 12 month gestation period.
CLUTCH SIZE Lesser electric rays may bear only 2 pups at a time, while Atlantic torpedo rays can deliver as many as 60 pups at a time.

FUN FACTS

1. Electric rays belong to the superorder Batoidea, which includes stingrays, skates, guitarfishes, and sawfishes. Like their relatives the sharks, batoids have skeletons made of tough connective tissue called cartilage.

2. Atlantic torpedo rays (Torpedo nobiliana), for example, live along the coastlines of Canada, the United States, United Kingdom, and South Africa. But they also have been found in the open ocean at depths of approximately 450 m (1,475 ft.). Blind electric rays (Typhlonarke aysoni) have been discovered in waters as deep as 900 m (2,950 ft.).

3. The mouth of the Australian coffin ray (Hypnos monopterygium) is enormous, allowing it to gulp prey half the size of its body.

4. All living creatures produce electricity - even humans - but electric rays have two special kidney-shaped organs that generate and store electricity like a battery. Large Atlantic torpedo rays can generate enough power to produce a shock of about 220 volts, while smaller rays, like the lesser electric ray (Narcine brasiliensis) can only muster a shock of about 37 volts.

5. Most electric rays bury themselves under sand during the day and come out at night to feed. If prey is encountered, the ray will stun the creature with electricity. Then, the ray will guide the food with its pectoral fins to its mouth, which is located under its body.

6. In addition to stunning potential prey and dissuading prospective predators, the electric organs of electric rays may also be used to detect prey and to communicate with each other.

Thanks. Great report Capt. Pat! As someone who has been "stung" by a torpedo ray :11: (a somewhat funny story that I'll tell you about the next time we meet) I will say that you did make a wise decision not to disturb it.

Dennis

On my first dive ever at Folly a few years ago, buddy and I saw two torpedo rays on the same dive. One scared the crap out of me. Buddy was looking under an overhang while I knelt in the sand watching him. He turned around and gave me the 'look behind you sign' w/ his eyes bulging out of his head. I swung around quick and saw a torpedo ray swimming a few feet off the bottom directly at me. I froze and the ray veered off to one side. After the initial shock, it was a pretty cool encounter. Later that dive we saw his comrade buried in the sand. Many dives at Folly since then and no signs of the rays(except empty holes in the sand).

LobstaMan

PS Pat, nice viz on the Romance...wow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom