Another life lost on the Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:doh::shakehead::sad:

Will look forward to more reports. I can't fathom that this boat would take rec divers to a tech dive, as the second report indicates.

I can't fathom that this boat would take rec divers to a tech dive, as the second report indicates.

I think you're probably reading too much into that. It didn't say they weren't technical divers, it just said they were "recreational divers". Although it is common usage amongst divers to differentiate between tech and rec divers, going by the dictionary definition all "recreational diver" means is "a person diving for fun", in other words not a commercial diver. I am betting that is all the article was attempting to say. Going with that usage, they could well have been tech trained.

Anyway, too bad this had to happen again.

I think you're probably reading too much into that.

Anyway, too bad this had to happen again.

Agreed. The term "recreational diver" has a broad spectrum, and basically covers just about every non professional diver. Hell, even GUE cavers are recreational divers.

From NJ Scuba:
Cape Cod Times
July 31, 2008
BOSTON — Coast Guard officials announced last night that they had recovered a body believed to belong to a diver reported missing 40 miles south of Nantucket yesterday morning, a Coast Guard spokeswoman said.

Coast Guard officials said that they did not know for sure that the body they had recovered belonged to the missing diver, pending identification.

Members of the Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England were dispatched to the scene after receiving a radio distress call around noon yesterday from a 38-foot commercial diving vessel, the spokeswoman said.

The vessel reported that out of 10 divers that went down, only nine had resurfaced at 11 a.m. as expected. The spokeswoman declined to provide further information about the vessel.

Two Jayhawk helicopter crews from Air Station Cape Cod and the Coast Guard Cutter Hammerhead, an 87-foot patrol boat from Woods Hole, responded and searched the area, the spokeswoman said.

Few details were available last night, but after the body was found, it was placed onto the cutter and is currently en route to the coroner's office in Montauk, N.Y.

Officials declined to release the name of the missing diver pending identification and family notification, the spokeswoman said.

The investigation will be conducted by the Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound, she said.

If that is true, am I correct in thinking that this is the first death on the Doria for several years?

Wikipedia lists only one death since 2002 (SS Andrea Doria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Surprising that there aren't more.

The boat that the diver was diving from was the JohnJack it was sailing from Montauk N.Y. (this is not it's home port).I have been told the diver was from Texas I don't know how accurate that is.

A sad story indeed. I'm pretty sure there have been deaths on the Doria since 2002. The wreck is getting deeper and more dangerous, and all the remaining "loot" requires further penetration to find/collect.

Isn't it a bit odd that the story is worded, "They had recovered a body believed to belong to a diver reported missing 40 miles south of Nantucket yesterday morning. . . " Kinda makes it seem like once they find the missing diver, they'll ask him whether the body they recovered belongs to him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom